New requirement to show air ticket at land border

Can you imagine families with children coming back for thier twice yearly vacation to Thailand, package tour and hotel booked for 14 days, to be given a few days stamp and told to take thier infants to 'get a real visa' or do a visa run ??

Can you imagine how mystified these same folks who visited Thailand for a week last October would be when told by immigrations that their six months are finished? :o

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Immigration really needs to clarify this and get a top down order that is the same country wide ASAP..

Such a mess..

Can you imagine families with children coming back for thier twice yearly vacation to Thailand, package tour and hotel booked for 14 days, to be given a few days stamp and told to take thier infants to 'get a real visa' or do a visa run ??

This only affects those that have overstayed in Thailand (dependents of long term stayers). Tourists would get the normal 30 day entry stamp for child and no overstay would be involved on a 14 day stay. However they could come up against the 6 month fixed period from first visa exempt entry rule if timing was wrong.

The problem is that they have decided to count overstay as part of the 90 day allowed entry per 6 month period even for children so although they do not have to pay the overstay and everyone thinks all is well on return they may be told they have used up the alloted time and refused entry. I believe this is a procedure error rather than by intent. But something we have to live with for now.

I was only thinking of the pure 'tourist' family.. On 2 holidays per year.. Coming up against thier 6 month hard limit and a 'petty' immigration officer who sees the rule that way.

Instead of thier relaxing 10 or 14 days holiday in a nice resort, get on a visa run bus somewhere or go to a local SEA consul.. Try that with your infants.. What a holiday experience !!!

I dread to think how a 6 month hard limit would effect all my oil worker buddies on 28 / 28 rotation.. Its not like they can get tourist visa's while on a rig at sea !! Will they be forever locked into a 6 months that runs Oct to April ?? For the rest of the passport ?? Thier lives ?? Or (even worse) will there be a continual hard limit of 6 months back to whichever stamp was just over 5 months ago !!! The latter would make them spending thier downtime here almost impossible.

I was only thinking of the pure 'tourist' family.. On 2 holidays per year.. Coming up against thier 6 month hard limit and a 'petty' immigration officer who sees the rule that way.

Instead of thier relaxing 10 or 14 days holiday in a nice resort, get on a visa run bus somewhere or go to a local SEA consul.. Try that with your infants.. What a holiday experience !!!

I can assure you that if I (and family) found ourselves in that same situation somewhere in the world, while we would certainly depart the country in question within the time-frame required by the generous two, three day stamp given to us by immigrations, we most assuredly would not be making a trip to a neighboring country to get a real visa so that we could return. We would be taking the remainder of our vacation elsewhere.

It is true just for those who are still thinking its an April Fools!

Me thinks there are lots of april fools on this board, doubting many posters honesty here :o

L

Many decades ago I travelled from Europe to Kuala Lumpur and went to a travel agency there to buy a one way ticket into Hat Yai, Thailand; planning taking a boat to Langkawi, Malaysia from Satun, Thailand. The travel agency refused to issue a one way ticket, stating I would get in trouble at Thai immigration Hat Yai. I did show them I had a ticket back to Europe out of Singapore at no avail. I entered Thailand via land and took the boat to Langkawi as planned. Anyway it was stupid, but the travel agency was following rules (stupid ones that is).

So if it is true this thing,is it only in Poipet at the moment?I will go to Maesai next week for my first voa in years,cause of the coming festivals I want to take the voa for a month before I will get my new non O the month after.If I will see the signs also there I will report this,but proberly somebody allready did meanwhile.I do have got an eticket to A'dam,still not confirmed,5 days before departure.......So some things seem not right for me this to be trough cause,1 with the new visa regs they allready do have more control

2why when people have allready to fly out in 90 out of 180 days have to show anything?

3So thats why I think the rule is not needed

If they do it will not surprise me,like some other new rules too be removed later,cause of to much worktime etc.

maybe come up with a smartguy with totally new immigration.But I do not believe when it does it will be harder then it allready is,some but for business alike and family etc I do not think so,for the visarunner proberly and not strange anyway.You can thank that to the terorists etc,it is all security.

The IATA information on the Delta Airlines site has been updated within the last few days and now clearly states the requirement for onward ticket (it had been suggested before). Below is for US passport:

Passport (must be in good condition) required.

1. If holding passport issued in Marshall Islands:

passport (must be valid for period of intended stay) and

visa required.

Travelling on one-way ticket is allowed.

2. In all other cases:

passport (valid at least 30 days) required.

Visa not required for a max. stay of 30 days, provided

coming for touristic purposes. Extension up to 10 days is

possible. Fee THB 500.- (1 photo required).

If passport is valid less than 30 days, stay will only be

permitted up to the validity of the passport.

Note: there is a max. limit of a total of 90 days within

any 6 month period.

Return/onward ticket is required.

If holding APEC Business Travel Card (clearly stating on the

reverse that it is valid for travel to Thailand):

visa not required, provided holding national passport and proof

of residence in the country that issued the ABTC.

Entry may be refused if of "hippy" appearance.

For more information see: For details, click here .

Visitor must hold all documents for next destination.

If being over 12 years old, visitor must also hold sufficient

funds to cover stay (at least THB 20,000.- or USD 500.- per

person/family).

Proof of funds includes letter of credit, vouchers, MCO's or

well-known credit cards (not applicable if holding re-entry

visa).

Non-compliance with the visa regulations will result in:

- refusal and immediate deportation of passenger;

- fines for the airline of THB 20,000,-;

- overstay fine for passenger of THB 500,- per day (but not

exceeding in total THB 20,000.-).

I dread to think how a 6 month hard limit would effect all my oil worker buddies on 28 / 28 rotation.. Its not like they can get tourist visa's while on a rig at sea !! Will they be forever locked into a 6 months that runs Oct to April ?? For the rest of the passport ?? Thier lives ?? Or (even worse) will there be a continual hard limit of 6 months back to whichever stamp was just over 5 months ago !!! The latter would make them spending thier downtime here almost impossible.

Again the way they want to implement the 6 month period for visa excempt doesn't make any sense and will influence genuige legitimate tourist in ways not thought of before.

I too go to Thailand about twice a year, usually with 22 or 26 weeks intervals. So I could easily been given a few days, to end my period. Of course I really don't care that much, I use Thailand as a travel hub mostly, and go to Laos within a few days of being here. But imagine the family in your example, they are told that they are limited to 90 days in 6 months on visa exempt stamps, now they are at the border and instead of been given 30 days, they only get a few days. How the hel_l do you explain that to them. You might as well abondon the whole visa exempt stamp, and either require tourist visas or do it like Laos or Cambodia, get everyone on a paid visa on arrival, no questions asked, at least that way everyone is clear.

Many decades ago I travelled from Europe to Kuala Lumpur and went to a travel agency there to buy a one way ticket into Hat Yai, Thailand; planning taking a boat to Langkawi, Malaysia from Satun, Thailand. The travel agency refused to issue a one way ticket, stating I would get in trouble at Thai immigration Hat Yai. I did show them I had a ticket back to Europe out of Singapore at no avail. I entered Thailand via land and took the boat to Langkawi as planned. Anyway it was stupid, but the travel agency was following rules (stupid ones that is).

What about all the backpackers from Europe/UK that are on their way to AUS/NZ for travel and/or working holidays? And there's thousands of them.

Many get a one way ticket out here, possibly stopping somewhere between (Goa) and then plan to bus/train/boat it down to Darwin, after visiting Laos-Cambodia-Vietnam, all the while using BKK as a hub. How could they meet this requirement?

-

What about all the backpackers from Europe/UK that are on their way to AUS/NZ for travel and/or working holidays? And there's thousands of them.

Many get a one way ticket out here, possibly stopping somewhere between (Goa) and then plan to bus/train/boat it down to Darwin, after visiting Laos-Cambodia-Vietnam, all the while using BKK as a hub. How could they meet this requirement?

-

But if they have a valid tourist visa do they still need to show a ticket out of Thailand in 30 days?

Previously if you had a visa you were allowed land crossings with no need for an outward ticket.

I always said Thailand could implement requiring Tourist Visa's on arrival for those without them and no onward ticket but available at the airport or border crossing - it would make some nice currency for the country!

But if they have a valid tourist visa do they still need to show a ticket out of Thailand in 30 days?

No, because you're supposed to show this when you apply for the Tourist Visa.

But a Tourist Visa is for 60 days extendable by another 30 upon payment of 1900THB is it not?

If so why do you need a ticket showing you are leaving withing 30 days?

I must clarify i am talking about a Tourist visa and not a 30 day entry without visa.

But a Tourist Visa is for 60 days extendable by another 30 upon payment of 1900THB is it not?

So your onward ticket should indicate travel exiting thailand within 90 days, if you have a tourist visa. This should be produced at point of application for tourists visa at embassies.

This is only if you do not have a tourist visa, but you arrived with visa exemption of permitted stay of 30 days only. Then imm requires you to produce onward travel within 30 days.

I must clarify i am talking about a Tourist visa and not a 30 day entry without visa.

:o

Why are you sceptical?

You get valuable advise and the members who post ,lopburi3/maestro and few others are always spot on.

Unfortunality also this Airticket issue is true and will be enforced (more or less).

Things in this country are implemented without proper information or advance notice , but this is TIT.

OK. Here goes.

[/size]

I remain sceptical exactly because the reports do not originate from members from whom the forum has "previously received valuable advise and……….. and the members who (regularly) post ,lopburi3/maestro and few others (who) are (usually) always spot on".

There are 3 topics on this issue, 2 started by first time posters, 1 by a newbie member One topic was started on April fools day. You must be aware of numerous examples in the past of newcomers posting just to make mischief. And the pain in my injured leg which is keeping me housebound and hooked on this forum tends to throb more when I read certain posts, a sure sign of something.

This would be a very serious issue for many and my purpose in posting was solely to encourage corroborative posts, if only to prove me wrong. I had invited two posters to reproduce here a copy of the paper they were given which I think is not unreasonable.

see http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=114392

word for word

No point in quoting me. I conceded early yesterday that this is a genuine issue.

An example of the best a long term "tourist" can hope for is:

Day 1 enter Thailand with tourist visa issued in Penang. Extend permission to stay from 60 to 90 days.

Day 90 border run to Poipet with confirmed ticket to Penang. Get 30 days visa free

Day 119 fly to Penang and get new visa

Day 120 re-enter Thailand with a new tourist and start process again.

At least the issue of 90 days in 6 months becomes academic and they can make half the immigration officers at Poi-pet redundant.

Previous suggestions about re-dating airline tickets to get 3 consecutive 30 day permits is only really practical if you initally pay for a full fare ticket (or know a good travel agent). Most cheapo fares are no change, no refund

Thinking ahead, Poi-Pet could tighten the ratchet a further notch and refuse re-admittance to those doing a border run and not holding a visa because they did not exit Thailand using the ticket they presented to gain admittance 30days previously.

I see on TV air-asia have ordered an Airbus A380 to use exclusively on the Bangkok-Penang route.

I don't think it has to be within 30 days for a Tourist visa, just within the time you say on the form that you want to stay in Thailand for (up to a maximum of 60 days). I believe it's only the visa exemption stamp that specifies 30 days.

I just came back from Ban Laem with Jack Golf, and there's signs prominently posted there about requiring a confirmed air ticket out for non-visa holders, but as of today they still weren't checking them. One of the Jack Golf employees said they would begin to from next week though.

i have a basic question if someone here preferbaly old asia hand can answer...

i am done with thailand. it was a great run while it lasted. i have the money, but not the age for 'proper' visa - but wouldnt hassle one anyway. the love affair has long faded in addition to strength of thai baht ag my usd. ok enuff whinging...

i am flying in april 17.

i have a booking not yet paid but confirmed onward - for 60 days out. e ticket

the above booking is with ff miles and i do not like the routing, im 90% certain ill buy a ticket in bkk (or want to)

have valid onward visa matching e-ticket reservation/confirmed

i do not want to spend us25 for visa and us30 for post for a freeking visa sent to embassy here in us and time is out anyway.

what to do??? i want to stay 60 but

wow- immigration may be accomplishing one thing but think of all the tickets and honest tourism that will go by the by. i will never be buying a ticket in bkk for onward to india or phils. i will fly into pnh via sin/hkg. i will use tpe as a hub not bkk.

i always go home every year. never been in trouble with the pigs. it will be a slow drain and then a meltdown. lest us not forget the us economy slowing and with that, the world economy.

finally, many people will lose money, homes, famiilies... i for one will not be running back. im totally sick of the ambiguity and arbitrariness. i have a ten year visa for india, visa sit is good in phils and cambo and in central america i understand there are no hassles.

finally, i would say there is a keen coincidence in all these crappy things happening and the rise of 30-50yo tatooed english hooligans cum businessmen. we can say despite the 'lack of govt' in bkk - thailand has no issue in moving forward to enforce law.

Not that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website need to be accurate but they have never mentioned that you need a return ticket if you arrive on the Tourist Visa Exemption deal (30 days on arrival). The only requirement is the funds:

Foreigners who enter the Kingdom under the Tourist Visa Exemption category may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay of not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry. - Please note that Tourist Visa Exemption does not apply to foreigners holding Travel Document for Aliens issued by these 40 countries.

- Foreigners entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category must possess adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand (i.e., cash 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family).

If you get a Tourist Visa outside Thailand the the deal is different, you do need a ticket and you also need to double the funds:

2. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

- Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months

- Visa application form completely filled out

- Recent( 4 x 6 cm.) photograph of the applicant

- Evidence of travel from Thailand (air ticket paid in full)

- Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)

- Consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary

My guess is that the visa Exemption deal is something that has been negotiated between Thailand and the individual 40 countries on the list mentioned. The terms of this exemption probably do not mention any return ticket and if that is the case Thailand would break the agreement with these countries if they did require a ticket.

But anything can can change and it's up to the officer in charge to decide who gets in and who don't

the really pathetic thing that to note....

i am a tourist who wants to stay 60 days and leave (although i have MANY stamps .

in fact, i am making plans for return from india to phils/cambodia not to darken the door of thailand for a good long time. just as they want it...

for this - just grief. thats why im happy to move on...

my onward ticket has not been 'purchsed' but confirmed and ff miles. but i just know that e-tickets will be unacceptable. immigration agents will not have internet access nor willing to check every person w/ eticket - whcih now days is MANY! so i have a hunch etix will not count - this will cost you xtra 1000 baht for privilage of your vist to the kingdom.

30 day stamp = ticket required as far as i have known. enforced or not... i was once though asked for onward ticket in l.a (us) to bkk and once forced to buy one in indonesia (sulewesi) even though one can exit by land in sumatra.

i wonder if ill even get on the plane??

...what do tourists do if they want to land in thailand as a hub and visit neighboring countries? requirement is a 30day ticket in hand. so, if you want to spend ### in the region, you cannot buy a ticket unless you scrap it. as we all know, front end cannot be changed w/o sever penaltties -might as well toss it. 30 day stamp with no intention of leaving by air. what about e tickets??? immigration officials barely have access to those old crummy terminals let alone broadband that is always functional!

question: if you were a young backpacker/couple. would you risk all this hassle OR.... just fly into PNH, SIN or Kuala Lampur?? would buying two tickets for 15000 baht each at full airport prices, have immigration in your face telling you to do so - fun?? now of course as i and peaceblondie had mentioned - immigration is not (that) stupid and can easily tell a tourist from a "tourist" - but whould you chance your two week/limited budget to that nonsense. as a hardened traveler, i would not nor would i advise anyone to do so. land elsewhere!

ill never use bkk as a hub again (im just using up my r/t now). add to this the crappy airport, the hassle to-from and the expense. why?

Edited by jinjok

zzz - dude i dont want to spend us80 for a freeking two month visa (mailers/visas) hence why i stopped applying in usa. 40us a month for privilage of holiday in thailnd - a bit rich no? thats why i started runnin'

then i realized what it cost me even for two two-month visas incl a train to penang. way way too much. so i started running... at least there was a bottle of red and carton of smokes and viagra - which i could swap for a bottle of jwred. sweeeeet.

i go home every year and honestly only spend about 6 months in thailand anyway. like i said - that love affair ended about 8 yrs ago.

solution: three month visas. you can get two (or 3) at home and one abroad in any given year.

braham: youre right fun is GONE, way gone.

Edited by jinjok

zzz - dude i dont want to spend us80 for a freeking two month visa (mailers/visas) hence why i stopped applying in usa. 40us a month for privilage of holiday in thailnd - a bit rich no? thats why i started runnin'

then i realized what it cost me even for two two-month visas incl a train to penang. way way too much. so i started running... at least there was a bottle of red and carton of smokes and viagra - which i could swap for a bottle of jwred. sweeeeet.

i go home every year and honestly only spend about 6 months in thailand anyway. like i said - that love affair ended about 8 yrs ago.

solution: three month visas. you can get two (or 3) at home and one abroad in any given year.

they spent 20-30 years building this huge tourism base with friendly attitudes, making people feel welcome, a fun enjoyable holiday destination with a minimum of hassles. on the present course, it's going to take them about 2-3 years to destroy most of that . it just seems to defy all logical explanation.

they spent 20-30 years building this huge tourism base with friendly attitudes, making people feel welcome, a fun enjoyable holiday destination with a minimum of hassles. on the present course, it's going to take them about 2-3 years to destroy most of that . it just seems to defy all logical explanation.

My take on this. Genuine tourists are not going to be affected by the changes to the rules. That isn't to say there will not be an isolated instance of an over-zealous immigration officer.

Thailand is encouraging tourism. But a problem they face is the perception in the west that Thailand is populated by low-life expats. This perception is re-inforced in the media. Thailand wants to remove this perception by encouraging those previously abusing the system to leave. They then hope this will have a positive impact on tourist arrivals from the affluent west.

Some have suggested they are throwing out the baby with the bathwater and a lot of decent and/or wealthy expats are voluntarily or unwillingly moving out. Possibly. Certainly many "abusing " the system are decent people who have found themselves doing border runs through force of circumstance. But what they spend is peanuts compared to the potential currency inflow.

chokchaichas -

actually... to 1 month tourists it might be a godsend. think of all the free/open rooms that were built for long-stay now vacant and double vacant during low season: pattaya, phuket even chaing mai and bangkok. some can be let to locals, many cannot. these cannot bounce back until they are occupied. this impacts - owner, owners family, banks, land prices, taxation. this alone one might see a recession esp coupled with coming us recession.

any and every business catering to foreigners will have marked impact. wine shop and cigar shop - finished. tops supermarket - in doubt, carrefour - in doubt (grocery finished), charter fishing - done, golf courses - finished, but with housing glut cant convert to condos! farang bars - 50% finished. the list is endless.... but the thais have a way of opening suspect businesses and clinging to them even though the end is written in stone. so it will take awhile for all this to wash out.

thailand does have a bad rep. it has encouraged the behaviour and is now somehow unhappy by it. the girls and a go-go was thailands face and for years it was just fine! i would remind you that it also has a reputation for difficulty in doing business and huge corruption issues at every level. too bad its not trying to attack those issues. by tit - it is only concerned with its 'face'.

rich guys spend the money becasue they must - they are too lazy to take a/c train to penang (which is very comfy), they cant be bothered to eat in a street stall, they cant be bothered to learn thai. often they spend money not because they really want, its becasue of a lifestyle choice theyve made. they want 24 hour a/c, big dumb ass car, western food and flush toilets.... they want home -save for the girlfriend half their age. hoonestly, they dont want thailand. these people are the ones that should leave.

i love asia ....from pakistan to the tip of indonesia and inbetween. ive lived in indonesia for months w/o getting laid (no big deal) it was a great cultural experience. same for india and doing the kkh in pakistan. i can take thailand for what it really is - i mention this becasue guys (and women) like me are happy to live simply (i beleive in this movement). i am not a glutton. i do not ask for more than i need. i do not want more than i need. i want the poor to benefit from whateve i can possibly do for them. i live simply so others may simply live. my choice not to spend my is born not only of thrift but of conservation and concern for the planet and its people.

i think so many are deluded about the difference in what 'rich' and 'poor' spend. we all eat out, we all have girlfriends, we all rent flats, we all play golf, we all fly coach to thailand each year ...that was the beauty of thailand. it was cheap.

one cannot look at the extremes and make judgements. rice cost 5b for poor and rich alike. both eat 5b worth of rice. most rich guys wake up after a year in thailand and realize that tossing about piles of dosh has got them less than the guys that mind their cash.

anyone truly in the know understands the girls will stand in line for the guy with the cash, but they will respect someone who minds their money well and is clever. they esp like guys who can help them sort out financial issues and when they get thru it, youve earned their respect (i must have half dozen thai girl-frends who ive known for more than 4 years) this never involves loaning money. loans are gifts even thai to thai. this is the law.

in summary: thais are so off base by simply cutting off the guys on teh lower end. the wealthy are a flighty lot. they can live anywhere and that they will after thailand hassle s them too much. this is teh best lesson of all. the lesser guys - they are sort of 'stuck' in thailand. but the wealthy - what do they care if they have to go to philippines, costa rica, carribe, spain and it costs them 20k baht more a month. big deal. but they are gone and they had bad experience and they and their wealthy friends not to return. they will use their money to insulate themselves for awhile - but when they wake up and realize that between: atty fees, airline visa runs, document hassles and rehassles and feees, fees fees that they pay a huge sum of money for the 'privilage' to stay in the country. in central america... its practically free and spain is free.

emp tud: youve summed the issue up correctly and succintly:

The problem is in a nutshell that there are too many foreigners living in Thailand in the opinion of many Thais, and more importantly in the opinion of many Thais who make the laws, and probably don't earn great streams of revenue from businesses aimed at foreigners. Not difficult to appreciate, and there's certainly no secret about the level of xenophobia amongst the majority of Thais.

*what the above do not appeciate is how an economy functions. EVERYONE benefits from the HUGE influxes of cash brought into the country. and that they will see...

now if we can just boot out all the thais from the usa - theyve never contributed much of anything anyway (and thats coming from someone who knows this community in l.a./valley well). same-same no?

sorry... this rant is wholly a distraction from topic.

Edited by jinjok

That's one way to look at it. On the other hand that same system was too often abused by people becoming perpetual tourists often for purposes of working illegally. A correction of those vulnerabilities was long overdue.

It's doubtful that there will be any large impact on tourism overall. The burden of compliance isn't that great and we're simply in an adjustment period while the new "wisdom" is disseminated around the world and Thailand itself gets up to speed on implementation.

The central message remains that Thailand has gotten somewhat tired of being the world's flophouse. Money is no longer enough; Thailand wants people who show up, enjoy, spend and (above all!) go home, or those willing to make permanent connections to Thailand by marriage, business, retirement, etc.

Very sorry for the well-intentioned and well-to-do under-50 bachelors, but you have to realize that you closely match the problematic demographic Thailand is seeking to control.

I haven't been enough of a world traveller to count the countries where I as a Westerner can just walk in with my passport, live there month after month and year after year, without getting some kind of a visa. Passing through as a tourist, sure. But to basically be a long term resident there, without them knowing my data, is a sure sign of an undeveloped country that can't afford to regulate itself.

Besides, stamps are given out for free. Real visas are expensive, and that's a revenue stream they are now tapping.

I haven't been enough of a world traveller to count the countries where I as a Westerner can just walk in with my passport, live there month after month and year after year, without getting some kind of a visa. Passing through as a tourist, sure. But to basically be a long term resident there, without them knowing my data, is a sure sign of an undeveloped country that can't afford to regulate itself.

Besides, stamps are given out for free. Real visas are expensive, and that's a revenue stream they are now tapping.

But isnt the issue in this comparison mostly.. What countries can you (once showing you have available funds) actually get a long stay residents visa.. Then own your home and land.. Etc etc etc..

Its an old argument done to death but Thailand is NOT an easy country for long term stayers (not marrying Thais etc)..