No change in TM30, TM28 reporting, says Phuket Immigration

rooster59

6 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Are you able to point us to documentation of this evidence?

Requiring return to the country for a period of time if a property owner? Freezing any government pension raises if retired outside the country? Or do i have those incorrect? I am neither Aussie nor Brit so I do not have personal experience. Only what I hear reported to me directly by Aussies and Brits.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SupermarineS6B said:

100% on the nail........Sick to death of playing childish games with petulant children....

My Immigration Office is Phetchabun. At my last Marriage Extension interview I was told that I only had to report my absence/return if I had traveled outside the province for 24 hours or more. I no longer go on unnecessary tourist trips outside my province, as it's likely the 'rule' will have changed upon my return.

I agree that there is so much difference in the interpretation of Immigration laws by individuals and offices.

My understanding is that where there can be no misinterpretation of a law because it's so clearly written, the less there are opportunities for corruption!

27 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Requiring return to the country for a period of time if a property owner? Freezing any government pension raises if retired outside the country? Or do i have those incorrect? I am neither Aussie nor Brit so I do not have personal experience. Only what I hear reported to me directly by Aussies and Brits.

Neither of those are Australian requirements but relying on the hearsay moaning of expats seems a fairly unreliable source of credible information 

2 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Could I afford? Yes. But my retirement funds are invested and returning dividends I had planned and are now using to supplement my retirement budget. Not a good fiscal decision to park those funds in a Thai bank.

&00k thai baht = Only USD $26,000

please explain how USD$26000 would ever generate enough income to meaningfully supplement a rational retirement budget?

7 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

Why? Just because you have that money to throw away and never be used, doesn't mean everyone does. Some people still actually work for a living and make decent wages or decent pensions but are not rich enough to leave so much in a bank. Personally, my Thai family bills exceed 60k monthly. Luckily and would be reduced greatly if I didn't have to keep that money in the bank always. 

Your snobbish attitude is the kind of people we need to be saying.. Stay home please!!! 

does a marriage visa also require 800k in the bank?

&00k thai baht in the bank for a retirement visa is only USD $26,000

If you are retried and 50+, and haven't even managed to save $26,000, you are not financially fit enough to retire in a foreign country.

GO HOME!!!!

2 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

I believe, reading his following response to this post that we may deduce, having used terms such as "entitlement" and "wanting free stuff" his thinking aligns nicely with far too many of my own countrymen who support the stance of current Trump type  supporters.

I couldn't really understand his linking of having to keep 800,000 in the bank and wanting free stuff, so ignored it.

2 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

Neither of those are Australian requirements but relying on the hearsay moaning of expats seems a fairly unreliable source of credible information 

I agree that individual info may not be correct. "

When does travel affect pension payment rates?
If you leave Australia for less than six weeks, your Age Pension payment rate normally won’t change.

If you leave Australia for more than six weeks, your pension payment will drop to the basic rate and your energy supplement payment will cease.

If you remain outside Australia for longer than 26 weeks, your pension will be reduced to a proportional rate based on your ‘Australian working life residence’ (AWLR). This is the number of years you have resided in Australia since age 16 to Age Pension age."

48 minutes ago, ChasingTheSun said:

&00k thai baht = Only USD $26,000

please explain how USD$26000 would ever generate enough income to meaningfully supplement a rational retirement budget?

I did not state that I only have $26,000. However, my investments are earning about $3,000 USD annually on that $26,000 versus what parked in a Thai bank? Thus, I chose to use the monthly income method for meeting my income requirement (65,000 per month) here in Thailand. 

7 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

I agree that individual info may not be correct. "

When does travel affect pension payment rates?
If you leave Australia for less than six weeks, your Age Pension payment rate normally won’t change.

If you leave Australia for more than six weeks, your pension payment will drop to the basic rate and your energy supplement payment will cease.

If you remain outside Australia for longer than 26 weeks, your pension will be reduced to a proportional rate based on your ‘Australian working life residence’ (AWLR). This is the number of years you have resided in Australia since age 16 to Age Pension age."

What you have quoted is correct, but it is incorrect to say as you originally did that the pension is not subsequently adjusted upwards. Australian pensions get a COLA every 6 months, in March and September, irrespective of where in the world you live. It's also a misleading comment on Centrelink's part about "the basic rate" after six weeks. What that means is that you drop to the rate exclusive of allowances. The allowances are intended to compensate you for the cost of living while in Australia. The pension itself does not drop. That only drops after 26 weeks and only if you didn't spend your working life in Australia or a country with which Australia has a social security agreement. Relatively few people are impacted by that. As a recipient of the aged pension you remain a tax resident of Australia and if that is your only income you don't pay any tax

28 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

I did not state that I only have $26,000. However, my investments are earning about $3,000 USD annually on that $26,000 versus what parked in a Thai bank? Thus, I chose to use the monthly income method for meeting my income requirement (65,000 per month) here in Thailand. 

Wow! An 11.5% yield is incredible! 

Nobody said that proof of sufficient monthly income is better or worse that the 800k lockup. good for you that you can meet the minimum income level!

You are probably taking on huge investment risk to get those types of returns.

What will happen when the market turns against you? Will you need to return home because your income

from your original $26,000 investment is now less than the $3000 USD you needed annually?

39 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

You don't have to justify anything to him.

56 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

What you have quoted is correct, but it is incorrect to say as you originally did that the pension is not subsequently adjusted upwards. Australian pensions get a COLA every 6 months, in March and September, irrespective of where in the world you live. It's also a misleading comment on Centrelink's part about "the basic rate" after six weeks. What that means is that you drop to the rate exclusive of allowances. The allowances are intended to compensate you for the cost of living while in Australia. The pension itself does not drop. That only drops after 26 weeks and only if you didn't spend your working life in Australia or a country with which Australia has a social security agreement. Relatively few people are impacted by that. As a recipient of the aged pension you remain a tax resident of Australia and if that is your only income you don't pay any tax

Understood. I used Australia And Brits as being affected. It is the Brits who have pensions froze. natives from those countries, retired in Thailand would be more attuned. I can only speak about US. Currently, we get any COLA and are not under any other restrictions. Then again, we are taxed on worldwide income.

2 hours ago, justin case said:

my korean friend did not know about tm30, told him, his thai wife called immigration, he does not have to report at all (asean thing ?)

Yes, that's correct he does not have to report a TM30 at all if he is not the "owner" of the place where he is staying.

Thai law requires that the "owner" of the place where he is staying (which can be the possessor, landlord or tenant) files a TM30 within 24 hours of a foreigner arriving at the place.

So it is the 'owner' of the hotel, guesthouse, rental condo, friend/girlfriend's place, that is expected to do the reporting.  Obviously if he has his own condo, he needs to report yourself.

That being said, the only time that a problem can occur is when he needs to visit his local IO for a service that requires his address (e.g. extension of stay, residence certificate).  Because then IO might check whether a current TM30 has been filed confirming his staying there.  If not, he can be fined (800 THB to 1600 THB) and even refused the service he is applying for until a TM30 has been filed regularizing his status.

To make things even more complicated TM30 compliance is not enforced at all IOs.  Some require that it is done after every return from abroad, others require that it is also done after returning from a trip to a different province, some even require it for ALL trips where you are more than 24 hour away from your 'home', and some don't bother at all about TM30 compliance.

So the call with IO and answer 'not needed' is for sure no absolute guarantee that he will never be confronted with the issue when e.g. applying for an extension of stay.  

Note: It is relatively easy to register and file TM30s on-line using the IO TM30 website (if you know how to do it). 

On 1/4/2020 at 4:57 PM, timewilltell said:

Unfortunately this is the story of Thai Law everywhere. No one really knows what the law is because it is all up to the judge, policeman, immigration officer or anyone else who has any power. The result is the perfect environment for corruption and it is quite likely that is exactly how they want to keep it. Thailand is no place for business and increasingly becoming no place to retire to or reside in as regulations become more aggressive, more confusing and more difficult to comply with.

In view of you contrite admission - YOU should be encouraged to leave Thailand post haste. Bye bye.

20 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I can live very comfortably here for 15,000 a month. Aircon, IPTV, internet, out for dinner every Friday evening, western food for dinner, Thai food for lunch, running a pickup, living with wife and five dogs. Four bedroom house, 1.1 rai of land bought when the baht was in the toilet. Just the occasional extra expense, such as car insurance.

Why the hell should I need to keep 800,000 laying stagnant in a bank. I wouldn't need to do that in my native UK. Why should I need, by law, to do it here? Thais are not required to keep 800,000 in the bank, only foreigners. Why? We all live in the same country. It's no more logical than the 90-day exit rule. Just a rule for a rules sake, with no practical purpose. Some people might, for whatever reason, need to keep 800,000 to safeguard their lifestyle, but one size does not fit all.

Just in case you want a bar girl diversion once in a while if wifey cuts supply off to punish you.

On 1/4/2020 at 11:42 AM, NCC1701A said:

Confusion will be my epitaph
As I crawl a cracked and broken path
If we make it we can all sit back and laugh
But I fear tomorrow I'll be crying
Yes I fear tomorrow I'll be crying
Yes I fear tomorrow I'll be crying

How about 21st Century Schizoid plan 

48 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Note: It is relatively easy to register and file TM30s on-line using the IO TM30 website (if you know how to do it). 

Agree with all your comments except this last line. The "relatively" is, well, relative, I don't think it is that straight forward (specially for Thais...  ! Why Thais, see below...)

Because as you said before only Thais or foreign owner of the property, in possession of all the right documents, can do this - not the farang renter....! So this online tool applies to a minority of foreigners staying in Thailand.

I don't blame Thai authorities wanting to have and know the permanent resident of long-term foreigners in their country, but with today's technology this should be very easily done - however, as one said they love the complication and opportunity to scam and extort people, easy source of income...

2 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

it's only complex if you underestimated how much money to have to come here to live..

And there’s a perfect example of oversimplification. Is that based on lump sum or monthly income transfer or the combination method (which some offices now won’t allow despite the rules) and what about bank codes against monthly transfers when using fx companies? I can see you’ve given those matters little or no thought.

5 minutes ago, Agusts said:

Agree with all your comments except this last line. The "relatively" is, well, relative, I don't think it is that straight forward (specially for Thais...  ! Why Thais, see below...)

Because as you said before only Thais or foreign owner of the property, in possession of all the right documents, can do this - not the farang renter....! So this online tool applies to a minority of foreigners staying in Thailand.

There is a mis-understanding here.

Registering on the IO TM30 website and filing TM30s is not limited to thais or foreign owners of property.

ANY foreigner can register either:

- on behalf of his landlord (when that landlord is reluctant to register himself);

- on behalf of your (girl)friend, when he/she is the owner of the place where you are staying;

- as tenant of a rental condo.

And it is indeed relatively simple.  Registering itself will take max 30 minutes, and filing the first TM30 will take approx 20 minutes.  Any subsequent filings will take less than 2 minutes, so piece of cake.

>>> I have PM-ed you a comprehensive step-by-step instruction of how to do it.  Give it a try.

“I understand that this process is confusing. The Immigration Bureau Chief has held meetings to discuss this issue, but so far there have been no updates – but we expect there will be a solution soon,” Lt Col Udom said."

No further comment necessary!

On 1/4/2020 at 6:57 PM, timewilltell said:

Thailand is no place for business

and owning property, but anyone that has gone on TVF in the past 10 years and been aware of what goes on in LOS for the last 20 years knows that.

It's too well known for anyone that does get involved in business or own property to cry that they "didn't know" when it all goes wrong.

RE the OP, why would anyone think that because one office somewhere in LOS doesn't do something it applies nationwide? Only those that don't keep eyes and ears open don't know that every office invents it's own rules.

13 hours ago, nchuckle said:

And there’s a perfect example of oversimplification. Is that based on lump sum or monthly income transfer or the combination method (which some offices now won’t allow despite the rules) and what about bank codes against monthly transfers when using fx companies? I can see you’ve given those matters little or no thought.

Seems to me that anyone not using the money in the bank method and leaving it there, is in for a rough ride.

Archived