Failed "No plastic bag" policy

Trujillo

It's not about re-use as many posters believe.  It's about thickness.  'Single use' bags is a convenient name for bags less than 36 microns thick which can't be recycled and finish up anywhere and everywhere.  Doesn't matter how many times you use it, it's still thin.

17 hours ago, ukrules said:

I only spend about 4000-6000 per week while shopping so I'm sure Gourmet Market won't miss me too much as a lowly customer with no say in how things work there.

No, they won't. That's not even a decent bottle of wine per night; let alone groceries.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 12:20 PM, Trujillo said:

BigC and Rimping, at least, have instituted a total ban on giving out plastic bags with purchases. 
This is a mistake in that they have left out the option to purchase a plastic bag. 

In Pattaya they had reusable bags for sale last night at BigC Sukhumvit...

Seeing BigC, Friendship, 7-eleven...it doesn't seem a failed policy to me.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Deerculler said:

Give the Thai Govt. some credit

.The pollution problem in Thailand if a big problem and it has s going take a long time to fix.

The plastic bag problem is a big one.

The Govt. has started so don’t knock it.

Agree with that.......small steps are better than none.

Let’s hope they don’t abandon it like many other schemes that were never given time to mature.......... like democracy for example ????.

Then they can start proper education to correct the appalling driving standards.

• Like 1

Just now, Pattaya46 said:

In Pattaya they had reusable bags for sale last night at BigC Sukhumvit...

Seeing BigC, Friendship, 7-eleven...it doesn't seem a failed policy to me.

Also agree.......I bought a 3 Baht cloth bag at a mini Big C and will take it next time for small purchases..

Options are good. 

Many grocery bags, which can be folded up and placed in pocket, made of the finest sturdy re-usable plastic or cloth, are available at fine stores everywhere in Thailand, including no more then a few feet from most cash registers. 

• Like 1

BigC and Rimping, at least, have instituted a total ban on giving out plastic bags with purchases. 
This is a mistake in that they have left out the option to purchase a plastic bag. 

What's the difference between a free plastic bag getting into the environment and a purchased plastic bag getting int the environment?

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 1:02 PM, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

Been doing that in South Australia for 10years. Forget your cloth bag buy degadable bags for 10cents each. I wouldn't pay 10cents when easy take your own.

Helpful in emergency.

Bottles and cans 10cents deposit and refundable, they hardly hit the ground before someone picks up.

Don't know about SA, but in NSW the 10c deposits are a complete rort. Nowhere gives the deposit back, you end up dumping tinnies or stubbies in the recycling bins, it's simply a blindside 10c price rise. If it's corrupt in AU, what would such a scheme be in LoS?

I use an IGA bag bought in NSW nearly two years ago. Yes, it's spunbond plastic not cloth. No, it hasn't shown any signs of falling apart. And locals have already got used to me using it. I just don't understand why Thai shoppers think the more they spend, the more wrapping they should get with it.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 10:46 AM, White Christmas13 said:

What a heap of nonsense I bought cloth bags about 5 years ago before plastic got banned,

I still use them today.

Use it once a day for another 5,000 days, and it'll have the same environmental impact as if you'd used disposable plastic bags.  Over 18,000 more days if it's organic cotton.

From Meand's Post #5...

https://qz.com/1585027/when-it-comes-to-climate-change-cotton-totes-might-be-worse-than-plastic/

In fairness, plastic would be better if Thailand had functional solid waste disposal schemes nationwide.  So maybe 2 and 8 years...

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

It's not about re-use as many posters believe.  It's about thickness.  'Single use' bags is a convenient name for bags less than 36 microns thick which can't be recycled and finish up anywhere and everywhere.  Doesn't matter how many times you use it, it's still thin.

That's all well and good, but the problem is disposal. If as much energy was expended to correct the disposal problem, rather than banning a perfectly good plastic bag, the disposal problem can be solved.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, impulse said:

Use it once a day for another 5,000 days, and it'll have the same environmental impact as if you'd used disposable plastic bags.  Over 18,000 more days if it's organic cotton.

How many days if the bag is made from recycled plastic or fabrics?  A lot of stuff available now, fabrics made from recycled stuff.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, impulse said:

From Meand's Post #5...

https://qz.com/1585027/when-it-comes-to-climate-change-cotton-totes-might-be-worse-than-plastic/

In fairness, plastic would be better if Thailand had functional solid waste disposal schemes nationwide.  So maybe 2 and 8 years...

+1. Disposal, Disposal, Disposal...

8 minutes ago, allenberg said:
1 hour ago, ujayujay said:

Amazing how many are unable or unwilling to bring a shopping bag from home .... 3. world thinking!

Amazing how many think using plastics is the problem. It's not........disposal is the problem!

Plus, how many should I bring?  Should I bring 2 or should I bring 8?  What if I bring 5 and I need 7?  And when I hop on that scooter taxi to head off to have lunch before I go shopping for food (always a good idea to eat before shopping for food), where should I keep those 7 re-usable bags?  Because the vast majority of Thais don't have cars.  And when I get home and dump all my goodies out of their packaging, what do I use to bin all the paper, plastic and string?  Because today, I just use the plastic bags that my groceries came home in.  And when my mango and uncooked chicken leak juices into my disposable plastic bags, I don't have to do laundry before they go off in the Bangkok heat- I bin them.

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

How many days if the bag is made from recycled plastic or fabrics?  A lot of stuff available now, fabrics made from recycled stuff.

Click the link for your answer.  That's why we included it...

15 minutes ago, impulse said:

Plus, how many should I bring?  Should I bring 2 or should I bring 8?  What if I bring 5 and I need 7?  And when I hop on that scooter taxi to head off to have lunch before I go shopping for food (always a good idea to eat before shopping for food), where should I keep those 7 re-usable bags?  Because the vast majority of Thais don't have cars.  And when I get home and dump all my goodies out of their packaging, what do I use to bin all the paper, plastic and string?  Because today, I just use the plastic bags that my groceries came home in.  And when my mango and uncooked chicken leak juices into my disposable plastic bags, I don't have to do laundry before they go off in the Bangkok heat- I bin them.

You really can not figure any of that out?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are the black plastic bags (available in many sizes, many stores have a representation on the floor indicating the actual size) any better for the environment than the single-use bags at cashier counters?

I used the single-use bags as trash bags to toss into my condo building's trash bins on each floor.  Now, out of necessity, I will be using the black plastic trash bags.  Which one is more environmentally friendly in a trash dump?

(This is a serious question, not a troll...)

On 1/4/2020 at 1:02 PM, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

Been doing that in South Australia for 10years. Forget your cloth bag buy degadable bags for 10cents each. I wouldn't pay 10cents when easy take your own.

Helpful in emergency.

Bottles and cans 10cents deposit and refundable, they hardly hit the ground before someone picks up.

Except........

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/how-biodegradable-plastic-bags-dont-live-up-to-their-name

To the OP, I actually travel between Thailand and Taiwan (permanent resident) and agree with you 100%.  On top if the bag option purchase, the bags you buy actually have the label/sticker implanted on them that you can also use as bought garbage bags that the city only takes in the daily pickups.  Another thing they may want to do in Thailand is pick the brain of the former Taiwan President, Ma.  Before he was president, he was Taipei Mayor and said enough was enough with the stray dogs.  When I first got here in 1999, it was like Thailand today, 1000's of dogs everywhere!!  He cleaned them up and for over 12 years or so now, I have not seen one stray. (in the city that is).  

On 1/4/2020 at 6:48 PM, ukrules said:

I did some shopping in Hua Hin today.

Not only were there no free plastic bags available but they also had nothing else to sell me - no fabric bags, nothing at all.

I told them to go and get me some bags or I'm leaving without the shopping.

Miraculously and seemingly out of nowhere a supervisor managed to produce some plastic bags.

They 100% need to make sure there are bags available to buy at the checkouts, not having even the more expensive fabric bags available is a major mistake on the part of the major national supermarket chain which will remain nameless

Why would you not name... Ridiculous 

On 1/4/2020 at 9:57 PM, CGW said:

Problem is the majority here were not alive then! its fine for us to say it can be done, for them - not so easy!

Why "not so easy"?

Thai ppl bought their food, fish, meat, coconut milk and other wet or liquid stuff long before the arrival of plastic bags. Why can't they do it now? It is a learning process but in the end they get used to it.

Saw a foreigner the other day in a Tops supermarket. He had no bag, didn't want to buy a non-plastic one, didn't want a free cardboard box. He wanted several plastic bags. What a performance he gave. Don't know the outcome.

• Like 1

Went to Tesco Lotus yesterday and deliberately left my cloth bag in the car thinking I would buy a couple of their forever bags.  They are <deleted> and I would not trust them to carry any noticeable amount of weight.  While I think the intention to reduce plastic is worthy, the biggest plastic nuisance is plastic soft drink and water bottles that are immediately discarded and much heavier plastic than bags. I also ponder going into Maakro and see that you get plastic bag with every collection of fruits, vegetables, meat, etc. When I was young we use to get paper bags but plastic replaced it because we were destroying trees. 

• Thanks 1