Thai man's "Great Escape"! Steve McQueen remembered as wire nearly kills motorcyclist

rooster59

Thai man's "Great Escape"! Steve McQueen remembered as wire nearly kills motorcyclist

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTU5OS83OTk5NTU0L3Nhbm9va190aHVtYm5haWxfMTIwMHg3MjAoMTQpLmpwZw==.jpg

Caption: Wire nearly beheaded him.

Sanook reported that a motorcyclist was lucky to escape death after he was nearly decapitated by two wires stretched across a newly constructed concrete road in Don Chedi district of Suphanburi in central Thailand. 

The story came in a Facebook post by "Tong Rotkao" who said that his employee was the injured man who was lucky to be alive. He was on his way to work and needed hospital treatment after suffering a gash to the neck.

The poster claimed someone had stretched two wires across the road from a tree to a lamppost with the intention of trying to kill a motorcyclist. Fortunately the wires snapped.

Police have been informed. "Tong" said he would give a reward for information leading to the arrest of the perp or perps. 

Sanook said that netizens had commented that the wires may have been the work of locals wanting to stop annoying bike races or criminal elements seeking to steal. 

Iconic American actor Steve McQueen - in one of his most famous movie scenes - stretched a wire across a road to kill a German motorcyclist and steal his bike. 

The scene was from the epic 1963 World War 2 classic The Great Escape, Thaivisa notes for our younger readers.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-04

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The poster claimed someone had stretched two wires across the road from a tree to a lamppost with the intention of trying to kill a motorcyclist. Fortunately the wires snapped.

That's about the most disturbing thing I've read recently...

4 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Nice habit of Thais, particularly up country at night. Last thing you know is when you are decapitated. They then steal your bike. Welcome to this nice friendly Buddhist country.

So this happens all the time? 

Happened to me many years back in Thalane out riding on my xl125, fortunately I wasn't going too fast just starting up a trail and I spotted it at the very last moment and started to throw myself backward but it still got me and dumped me on the track. Also it was one of the thick wires that support chain mail fencing so it didn't actually break the skin but hurt a bit and left a deep welt for a long time, good talking point though Lol

Archived