BANGKOK
rooster59

"We need our plastic bags!": After a brief honeymoon Thais strike back at bag ban

16 hours ago, rooster59 said:

And the ban only served to benefit big retailers and convenience store chains. 

True, the big chains sell everything prepackaged in disposable plastic containers. Ready to be thrown on the roadside directly after consumption. 😉

• Like 2

i saw how many items people buy in Tops now...obviously, retailers will make money on the bags they sell and those bags are as bad as plastic, but my guess sales will go down because of that and this idiocy will stop pretty soon.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Usually shop at Makro, just push the cart to the car and unload!

1 hour ago, mickey rat said:

True, the big chains sell everything prepackaged in disposable plastic containers. Ready to be thrown on the roadside directly after consumption. 😉

Thats where most of Prachuap plastic bags go i know i live just outside the town even the smallest roads are strewn with rubbish

They do have fads of trying to  keep the beach clean but that's about it

17 hours ago, z42 said:

In india they use tiffin carrier boxes. Inconvenience or not, these idiots bleating should tell their customers to invest in a flask or tiffin carrier.

No sympathy at all from me

Thais have them - referred to as "pinto" here. Maybe they will make a resurgence. 

Rooster

18 hours ago, rooster59 said:

It was also decidedly tricky to package her other wares such as sugar, nuts and curry paste.

I've packaged my nuts in cotton for decades without any hassle !

• Haha 1

It's kind of funny that the land of ingenuity with the ability to copy pretty much anything in the world can't figure out what to do without plastic bags.  

Poor excuse and self pity because they have to think and plan. Many COUNTRIES HAVE INTRODUCED THE BAN. Not too much drama reusable plastic bags are available at low cost.The USA have used strong paper bags for years. How did they manage before plastic? There will be many more bans to come so they had better get use to it and adjust their mind set. When we go to the market we have silver lined cooler bag and an ESKY (ice cooler box). We have found fresh meat,fish,vegetables and dairy type products travel better and stay cool on hot days.  

As one of the biggest polluting Nations on the Planet, Thailand should start to take some responsibility for its previous actions.

This includes the usage of Plastic bags, so suck it up.

19 hours ago, tlandtday said:

Of course another ill conceived Thai directive but with a good intent.  Hey how about mandating paper bags or telling retailers one plastic bag per customer and how about actually putting out some garbage bins so bags are not strewn across the land?  And how about using paper bags as a possible replacement?

Great ideas, but the real problem is disposal. The disposal is the only thing that needs fixing...

They will re-introduce the bags when they see the explosion of trash left everywhere as they have nothing to cart home the dirty stuff in rather than dirty their cotton bag

Charge all Customers 10 baht for each and every plastic bag used, they will soon change their attitude , the only way to effect change is to make it expensive from them NOT TO CHANGE THERIR IGNORANT ATTITUDE

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, sirineou said:

Providing  a mandate without offering alternatives for its implementation is unwise to say the least, and is destined to fail.

If you want merchants not to use plastic bags, offer them a viable alternative.

They sold coconut milk before plastic bags were invented. What container did they use then? Customers brought their own container. What's wrong with bringing your own?