"We need our plastic bags!": After a brief honeymoon Thais strike back at bag ban

rooster59

Yes, plastic things are a problem. We do not live in the 1930s anymore, and

back then there were less people on the planet, and the people did not travel

abroad as much then either, remember the dirty thirtys,  where people were going 

through a depression?  Guess some of us were not around for that. 

Some posters forget the past and the conditions of the past.    I will be happy

if countries do get together and try to collect the plastic and melt it down to

reuse it in some manner.  Built big items, like floating docks, or big containers

made of the remade plastic. Maybe like the steel containers that are on trains and big trucks. Build plastic storage buildings or sheds. Any other ideas?

Geezer

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 10:29 PM, AAArdvark said:

I like the ban but I had one issue at Tesco which I can attribute to lack of forethought.  I filled up a basket, brought to the very small counter.  There was no room to place my own bag anywhere.  I had bag my items on the floor.

Put your own bag on top of the items in the basket and just stand and stare at the check out chick until she bags the stuff for you... worked well for me (after encountering this exact problem)

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure the current ban is that great because it only includes large supermarkets or similar. You might say that it's a start to but if you go to the local markets or the garden centres everyone is still using plastic bags like there's no tomorrow. Arguably plastic bags are more useful at supermarkets where a customer buys many things at one time, all of which need to be transported rather than just a small number of items at a say a local market. And putting plants and shrubs that are already containerised, into plastic bags is just plain silly.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 8:10 PM, rooster59 said:

the only people who would benefit would be big shops and retailers like convenience stores.

When they sell 'reusable' plastic bags for 99 baht and don't have to supply free single use bags - yes, it is certainly good for the bottom line!

• Haha 1

There is a floating market for the Malaysian tourists near our house, it’s been “zero plastic” for years. Cold drinks are given in bamboo or clay cups and pancakes and pad Thai are served in banana leaf boats held together by home made tooth picks.

It’s a total novelty, But it sells and it keeps the bamboo village busy with a chopsaw all day long. 

What did people In the market do before plastic? they made a little cone or parcel out of banana leaf, tucked the end in and secured it with a bamboo pick.

There is a business opportunity here, but the locals are too busy focusing on first world problems to see the green gold.

Come on curry paste lady, catch a wake-up, every night, the local village gossip AKA the national news are desperate for stories. Anyone up for a bit of free publicity?

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 2:27 PM, CGW said:

It's easy for us to make comparisons with other countries that manage well without the use of plastic bags, for the average Thai, they can't make this comparison as all they have ever known is plastics! Going back to the seventies they were serving soft drinks in plastic bags, to suddenly expect them to embrace a world without plastic is a step too far for most without a lot more education - the present "government" isn't going to give them that is it!

Expect a lot more (justifiable?) complaints! 

Spot on! It hasn't been thought through... surprise, surprise! While attempting to conform/impress - and, yes, non-reusable plastic has to go - the 'government' fails yet again. Prats.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, recom273 said:

What did people In the market do before plastic? they made a little cone or parcel out of banana leaf, tucked the end in and secured it with a bamboo pick.

Bit tough to balance 10 helpings of coconut juice in a banana leaf from your handlebars at 100kph, but. ????

I agree, 7-11s aside, it needs to be re-learned with education and a transition period. 

7 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Bit tough to balance 10 helpings of coconut juice in a banana leaf from your handlebars at 100kph, but. ????

I agree, 7-11s aside, it needs to be re-learned with education and a transition period. 

I spoke to the missus about this Yesterday - she said people didn’t used to my the milk they would buy the grated coconut and press it at home. Obviously we have moved away from those days, but the curry paste is a natural - hell, even in the 70s sliced meat Or sausages would be wrapped in paper, maybe it still is in the UK. 

Thais don’t need to be moaning about this - every morning around our way you can see 3 people on a bike that barely runs, carrying a Jerry can of petrol and two chainsaws. Carrying too much on bike is a national trait, we really don’t need to be worrying about what they can carry on a bike.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You cannot just bring a ban like this without having a plan to supersede it as is normal here the response from the people who brought this about is when asked what do we use now the answer you get is  “not my problem” so it will all go quite and in 2-3 months time everything will be back to normal with plastic bags everywhere

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 8:33 PM, madmen said:

Perhaps markets can be exempt. 

Perhaps everyone will just ignore the law and carry on as usual is more the  likely outcome.who will be responsible for policing this law is the question.its just a government marketing ploy to show they care about the environment.