Suvarnabhumi second-phase expansion 60 per cent ready

rooster59

Suvarnabhumi second-phase expansion 60 per cent ready

By THE NATION

800_df8def3d4fd03c8.jpg

Thr second-phase expansion of Suvarnabhumi Airport is 60 per cent complete and will be opened in November 2020, a senior Airports of Thailand (AOT) official said.

AOT senior executive vice president Anake Teeraviwatchai said construction of the structure has been finished. Work related to architecture, interior decoration and installation of the inside systems were still to be done. “The systems to be installed are explosive detection system, baggage handling system, and automate passenger mover (APM),” he added.

According to the AOT report, construction of the first two systems will be finished within April. Meanwhile, APM is installing the railway system, and this was expected to be finished this month.

Also, there will be six APM trains providing shuttle service between the current passenger terminal and the new satellite terminal. “The first train was expected to arrive in Thailand in February and March,” Anake said.

With 28 bays at the satellite terminal, the number of visitors the airport can handle will increase from 45 million to 60 million per year.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30380137

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-05

And all the while the number of active immigration booths remain the same, speeding up and improving the process of incoming passengers should be a top priority, but what will they do when paranoia and the urge to control everything is getting the better of them... 

5 hours ago, toenail said:

Will the “28 bays” at the new terminal replace the number of planes that already have to dock on the tarmac and use buses for departing passengers? 

No because its 50% cheaper for airlines to use stand off parking that dock at an air bridge.

The criticisms of  the BKK airport are unreasonable and come from people with no understanding of airport operations. The reality is that BKK is one of the world's largest and processes passengers at a rate comparable to other world airports. Yes, there are delays during peak hours, but this is the norm at EVERY major international airport. The airport expansion will improve baggage handling capability and the management of the additional aircraft already accepted and planned for. The people complaining are not frequent flyers and typically make a couple flights between the same international airports, perhaps once or twice a year if at all. Visit a frequent flyer forum and ask the people who  fly into multiple international airports and who log 25+ long hauls in any given year what they think, and none of them complain about BKK the way the FOTSGs do on  TVF. I fly out of BKK to multiple international airports and the ground experience from desk to gate is superior to that which I have experienced in the EU, LATAM, Africa, and North America. It is similar to ICN, and even HKG now. The airport has its  faults, but is remarkably well run considering its size and certainly provides a less stressful experience than most large western airports.

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

With 28 bays at the satellite terminal, the number of visitors the airport can handle will increase from 45 million to 60 million per year.

So, they'll be increasing the number of immigration desks by 33%!

Sorry!  I crack myself up, sometimes.

3 minutes ago, mickymouse1 said:

Funny lot in here. Guys ,it seems you are on here only to criticise everything. 

Why don't you get a life or move elsewhere if it is so bad there.????

The rocking chair brigade.....????

3 hours ago, gaikhao said:

The criticisms of  the BKK airport are unreasonable and come from people with no understanding of airport operations. The reality is that BKK is one of the world's largest and processes passengers at a rate comparable to other world airports. Yes, there are delays during peak hours, but this is the norm at EVERY major international airport. The airport expansion will improve baggage handling capability and the management of the additional aircraft already accepted and planned for. The people complaining are not frequent flyers and typically make a couple flights between the same international airports, perhaps once or twice a year if at all. Visit a frequent flyer forum and ask the people who  fly into multiple international airports and who log 25+ long hauls in any given year what they think, and none of them complain about BKK the way the FOTSGs do on  TVF. I fly out of BKK to multiple international airports and the ground experience from desk to gate is superior to that which I have experienced in the EU, LATAM, Africa, and North America. It is similar to ICN, and even HKG now. The airport has its  faults, but is remarkably well run considering its size and certainly provides a less stressful experience than most large western airports.

Agree 100%. I fly long distance every month, sometimes more. In and out of BKK is maybe three or four times of that. Much better than LHR  and many GCC airports and close to DXB. As for Cairo, Khartoum . . .

8 hours ago, gaikhao said:

I agree with you that it could be worst but immigration are sometimes a real issue and the way they communicate about people queuing for more than an hour is pathetic «too many flights on that day« when you can see that some booths are empty with no officers on duty.

i never queued more than 15 mns in HK, ICN, KL ... but, oddly in... Narita. 

Archived