Spinach? ID?

Kenny202

Can anyone tell me if this is spinach. Old lady at the markets sells quite a bit of foreign stuff, parsley...radishes, etc. Probably supplies restaurants.

I translated spinach this morning and asked her and she gave me this. It doesn't particularly look like spinach we get in Australia but I know there are many variations. Photos attached

20200105_073141.jpg

20200105_073208.jpg

20200105_073219.jpg

1 minute ago, neeray said:

If it looks like spinach, tastes like spinach and the elderly lady tells you it's spinach, it probably is.

And BTW, looks identical to Canadian spinach.

Its Arugula. Everything here is Arugula.

It's called Pak Khom, translated to bitter green, or as they call it here 'Popeye'

it's kinda a spinach albeit a local version but inferior to the aussie one, lots of frozen US and NZ spinach balls in Villa...

13 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Its Arugula. Everything here is Arugula.

Nyezhov has spoken. And after I did this little bit of research, I think he has first hand experience and knowledge, "Arugula’s aromatic, peppery flavor adds a wonderful dimension to a salad, to your health and maybe even your sex life".

1 minute ago, neeray said:

aromatic

I love that word. Like when my kid says to me, Gee Dad, you are kind of aromatic today, how about changing that swill stained singlet to start?

Dude: Swill stained singlet? Heh? Heh? Did I just crush that or what? Crushed! Wheres @geronimo?

28 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I love that word. Like when my kid says to me, Gee Dad, you are kind of aromatic today, how about changing that swill stained singlet to start?

Dude: Swill stained singlet? Heh? Heh? Did I just crush that or what? Crushed! Wheres @geronimo?

I wasn't referring to the word "aromatic", but okay, that one too.

My gal generally uses "fragrant".

3 hours ago, Tarteso said:

Spinach ID ?

If yo go to market ask for “KA NAH” and the vendor will give you SPINACH

No dude they will give you whatever they have, which is usually arugula. You cant pronounce it, you dont deserve it.

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

No dude they will give you whatever they have, which is usually arugula. You cant pronounce it, you dont deserve it.

Unless you know what you are looking for .... Kanah... knaa...kanAa...

My favorite vegetable, salad or cooked. Have a few recipes from Europe and I never get bored of its taste. Easily confused with Chinese cabbage broccoli

2958432E-E8B5-4D2F-BE6C-D6A751AED2B3.thumb.jpeg.4273577fee377494e486262ac7d0c291.jpeg

0FCA4423-F3AA-4032-9A57-15AF9C63F8DF.jpeg

45 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

My favorite vegetable, salad or cooked.

I hate vegetables except chili and morning glory. Everything else is Arugula.

Since you such a food dude (notice the excellent alliteration again, thank you) what part of the Moo does the Ping come from.

5 hours ago, Tarteso said:

Spinach ID ?

If yo go to market ask for “KA NAH” and the vendor will give you SPINACH

Ka Nah is kailan.

The leaf in the picture is spinach that is grown in Malaysia....it comes in green and red leaves

as well. Malay word for it is bayam.

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Called rocket in the UK. Restaurants serve it with everything over there. Always put a big handful of it on a pizza. Hate it. I call it weeds.

1 minute ago, DannyCarlton said:

Called rocket in the UK. Restaurants serve it with everything over there. Always put a big handful of it on a pizza. Hate it. I call it weeds.

Im going to Cambo, I know what kind of weed im putting on my pizza.:clap2:

15 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

My favourite Thai vegetable. Just had some in my pad krapow moo gorb for lunch. But salads....really?

Yes! with chickpeas, with apple, pine nuts, with nuts, with goat cheese ... olive oil and vinegar ...

653FF7D8-E23B-4A06-A5A4-C3C6BF95F9F6.jpeg

42169946-3D0C-45D4-9DD5-619B97E109A6.jpeg

7F5CBBB1-4C45-4B75-A677-0B432D150D83.jpeg

40 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

No you mention it thats what it does look like. I been here too long used to eat rocket all the time back home. It's not really spinach though or is it? I tasted a few leaves and doesn't have that peppery back taste rocket does?

Although it wasn't unpleasant.

Can you cook rocket lightly same as you would spinach or only eaten fresh?

I did see she had something this morning looked very much like what I would call English spinach but not 100% sure. I tasted it too and couldn't say it tasted much different to the "rocket".

I'm using it for pasta / ravioli and if its nice I'll buy it as a side veg. It wasn't expensive.

1 hour ago, Tarteso said:

Unless you know what you are looking for .... Kanah... knaa...kanAa...

My favorite vegetable, salad or cooked. Have a few recipes from Europe and I never get bored of its taste. Easily confused with Chinese cabbage broccoli

2958432E-E8B5-4D2F-BE6C-D6A751AED2B3.thumb.jpeg.4273577fee377494e486262ac7d0c291.jpeg

0FCA4423-F3AA-4032-9A57-15AF9C63F8DF.jpeg

Ka nah isn't spinach. Not as in taste or texture. I guess you could substitute it

2 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

No you mention it thats what it does look like. I been here too long used to eat rocket all the time back home. It's not really spinach though or is it? I tasted a few leaves and doesn't have that peppery back taste rocket does?

Although it wasn't unpleasant.

Can you cook rocket lightly same as you would spinach or only eaten fresh?

I did see she had something this morning looked very much like what I would call English spinach but not 100% sure. I tasted it too and couldn't say it tasted much different to the "rocket".

I'm using it for pasta / ravioli and if its nice I'll buy it as a side veg. It wasn't expensive.

The leaves in your OP definately aren't rocket. Looks like spinach. Could be new Zealand baby spinach otherwise known as "cut and come again" spinach.

Archived