Taking a Stand on Service Charges

scottiddled

On 1/5/2020 at 11:58 PM, Traubert said:

Oh no, he's got a blog. ????

Yes, my heart sank too.  ????

It must be a second one then, because all the tendentious self-entitled tl;dr guff he's been writing on here is about the same length as a blog, closer to a (long and boring) book.

Seriously, I have ploughed my way through to page 7 of this whiny cr@p and now I've about had enough of all these long, long overly-detailed desperate attempts for attention and self-justification.

OP, just admit it - you messed up, you made a mistake and forgot to check if there was a service charge.  Now you have constructed an interminable self-absorbed bleat about it to try to justify your own mistake and blame the restaurant for your own lack of attention.  

We all made mistakes but most of us just bite the bullet, shrug our shoulders and mark it up to experience.  I suggest you grow up, stop being so self-entitled and do the same whilst getting a life at the same time.

2 hours ago, kingdong said:

Service charge should be discretionary dependant on how you perceived the service,if it's kak  you shouldn,t have to pay it.

What you talk about is tip. You don't have to tip if you don't want to.

But the staff who works in the restaurant still has to be paid. And the service charge is part of that payment.

In some restaurants it shows as 10% on the bill. And in other restaurants the items on the menu cost 10% more. Same same, not much different. 

• Sad 1

On 1/6/2020 at 12:13 PM, Straight8 said:

and I bet some add the 10% first then the 7% making it over 18%

That's the way it's done if you'd read the thread earlier - add 10% service charge to the bill, then the Government want 7% VAT on the 110% making it 17.7%, not 'over 18%'.

On 1/6/2020 at 3:22 PM, scottiddled said:

*yawn*

I looked for a notice and saw none. My vision is fine. A notice placed on the back page of the menu mixed in with social media contact, and deliberately (or negligently) omitted from the front or any page with food items on it...is not a "clear notice" as required by law and any sense of common decency.

Money is not the issue. That much has been clear since post #1 of this thread.

You're on the wrong side. 

If anyone should be typing *yawn*, it's the dozens of people who have had to read all your far-too-long attention-seeking posts.

Tell the truth - you didn't bother looking to see if there was a service charge and were annoyed when it came on the bill.  Now you have spent God knows how long blithering on about a totally petty non-event trying to justify your own negligence to the world and blaming the restaurant for obfuscating the fact there was a service charge, one you didn't bother checking for or asking about.

I'm not knocking Americans, (I owe a lot to some great Americans I met many years ago) but have you the slightest idea just how archetypally American your behaviour is?  How belligerent, whining and self-entitled?  If anyone's on the wrong side, you are, believe me.

Move on, man, move on.  Life's too short for this petty sh!t.

Edited by Mister Fixit

1 hour ago, Mister Fixit said:

Yes, my heart sank too.  ????

It must be a second one then, because all the tendentious self-entitled tl;dr guff he's been writing on here is about the same length as a blog, closer to a (long and boring) book.

Seriously, I have ploughed my way through to page 7 of this whiny cr@p and now I've about had enough of all these long, long overly-detailed desperate attempts for attention and self-justification.

OP, just admit it - you messed up, you made a mistake and forgot to check if there was a service charge.  Now you have constructed an interminable self-absorbed bleat about it to try to justify your own mistake and blame the restaurant for your own lack of attention.  

We all made mistakes but most of us just bite the bullet, shrug our shoulders and mark it up to experience.  I suggest you grow up, stop being so self-entitled and do the same whilst getting a life at the same time.

I have zero sympathy for you. If the thread is not useful or entertaining to you, don't read it. Every writer tries to strike a balance between brevity and providing adequate detail. Maybe I'm a bit wordier than most. I've made my peace with it. 

Attention and self-justification? I don't need external validation of my views. Sure, I'm trying to get attention in the same way that any post does; we're writing in a forum where our words are seen by others. And yes, I'm interested in stirring up some attention on an issue.

I mess up every day. I'm probably making a mistake just responding to your salty self. But in the grand scheme of things, I have no regrets when it comes to how I scrutinized the menu. If you indeed "ploughed" through this as meticulously as you imply, you can see the menu yourself. It was linked. There's nothing for me to "construct." I checked if their was a service charge. I checked at the entrance to the restaurant. I checked the front of the menu and checked the first pages.  I read through ~90% of the menu and saw no disclosure because there was none. I just didn't check the post-menu-item back page. Is that a mistake? Maybe if the issue were one of life and death. 

But in relative terms, I'm not going to quibble over whether I did due diligence vs. extreme scrutiny when the merchant is the one with the duty to prominently disclose. And I have no respect for the views of someone like you who would not only "shrug" over deceptive business practices, but chastize those who object to them. 

Before one even considers your rude tone, you're already on the wrong side.

6 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

but have you the slightest idea just how archetypally American your behaviour is? 

are you kidding me? We tip and dont whine about it.

7 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

If anyone should be typing *yawn*, it's the dozens of people who have had to read all your far-too-long attention-seeking posts.

Move on, man, move on.  Life's too short for this petty sh!t.

The rest of your post (your repetitive and ill-informed "you didn't check" nonsense) was debunked long ago in this thread and specifically answered in my post above.

As for this idiocy, there are precisely zero people in the world "who have had to read" any of this. You choose to do so. This whole blustering attack is ironic. Someone lodges a complaint about something. You can take it or leave it. I have my reasons, which even reasonable people who disagree with me have acknowledged. But jumping in with your alternative facts and whining that you have been strapped to a chair and forced to read it is just asinine. Welcome to the internet. There's bound to be something out there for your tastes. You don't have to spit on the ground at everything else.

2 minutes ago, scottiddled said:

Actually, I tip well. Since Mr. Whine-it claims to have read through page 6 or so, he can recall that in between his caniptions. 

Then if you are an American and tip well, ya shouldnt be whinging about service charges.

Here how I view Thailand, as an average American. I could sell one of my condos, take the cash, and use it to support a family of four in Muang Bumfuk for probably 10 years better tha  they are lving now. My airfare to Bangkok is two months of minimum wage.

Im NOT going to embarass myself before life by nickel and diming some person who will NEVER have what I have, espcially when it means nothing to me financially.

I wopuld note that service charges and gratuity are common all over the world. Its $1. Wowo

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mister Fixit said:

No, VAT isn't added before the service charge, it's added afterwards, so there is a slight amount extra.  And if you want to be pedantic, 17.7 is nearer to 18 than 17.  

And you are carefully omitting the fact he said ALMOST 20%.  Now, coupled with the obsessiveness of the OP and your own, I'm starting to wonder about some of the contributors to this thread.

Me too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Then if you are an American and tip well, ya shouldnt be whinging about service charges.

Here how I view Thailand, as an average American. I could sell one of my condos, take the cash, and use it to support a family of four in Muang Bumfuk for probably 10 years better tha  they are lving now. My airfare to Bangkok is two months of minimum wage.

Im NOT going to embarass myself before life by nickel and diming some person who will NEVER have what I have, espcially when it means nothing to me financially.

I wopuld note that service charges and gratuity are common all over the world. Its $1. Wowo

1. A service charge is not a tip. Therefore "whinging" (even if that's what I am doing) about a service charge is in no way inconsistent with being a good tipper.
  2. Objecting to a practice as annoying and deceptive is not about "nickel and diming." It's about principle. If one is that concerned about saving a few baht, one doesn't go to an overpriced place in Siam Discovery to begin with.
  3. As was already discussed many pages ago, something being "common" is a weak argument. 

2 minutes ago, scottiddled said:

It's about principle

Principles cant be measured. But, as I said earlier, my good old American principles start at $500. Everything else is pocket change. I wont even bend over to pick up a dollar I drop. I read menus and message boards and know that a 350 baht plate of pasta in all sorts of places (everywhere) is gonna carry with it 17 points for service charges  and VAT and damn, Im probably leaving another 10% on the table...but

I have been homeless. I have worked jobs you cant give away to a Mexican campesino no matter how much you pay. Ive been in Third World villages in more than one country, including bush Alaska. The great universal roulette wheel though lucked me out and made me an American and now an American that has more money than I need, which here isnt a lot. And even homeless I was better off than some people working here. So even though I cant control who gets what out of a service charge, the fact that I have the ABILITY to go to a place like Jamie Oliver on a random, oh I think Ill just go drop 1000 baht on lunch, basis while that cute girl serving you wont ever do that unless she bangs some dude for it renders me unable to even in the slightest manner to sympathize with you or join your crusade for a revolution against service charges.

For Christ sake dude you are an American. USA. We WASTE more than some folks will ever use. Quit being a cheap charlie, man up and represent your country then!  

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 12:47 PM, scottiddled said:

I have zero sympathy for you.

Before one even considers your rude tone, you're already on the wrong side.

Why on earth would I want your sympathy?  If anyone needs sympathy. it's you.  

As for 'rude tone' don't be so typically thin skinned and try to understand how self-centredly boring you are.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mister Fixit said:

Why on earth would I want your sympathy?  If anyone needs sympathy. it's you.  

As for 'rude tone' don't be so typically thin skinned and try to understand how self-centredly boring you are.  

You're still here? Might want to rethink the "bleating" jab, 'cuz.