Why do AIS keep charging me for nothing?

WineOh

I got a new iphone 11 last month and put an AIS sim in it. First time ever with this provider as im usually with DTAC. I have noticed that i keep getting charged around 3 baht daily just for using my phone over WIFI at home.

Does anyone know why this is? I already know how to disable it but it also means disabling 4G as well and I dont want to do that. 

How are they able to get away with charging people for nothing?

Edited by Liverpoolfan

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

You said it yourself your using 4g because when you disable it you don't get the charges. So your not just using wifi your using 4g too.

Solution is as you said disable 4g. Anyway 3bt a day is nothing.

Not true.

at home I am connected to the wifi all day and have 4G disable via my phone.

i still get charged 3 bht a day just for using my wifi.

I know that to disable this feature you need to send a code to AIS and they will disable all 4G internet features, which in turn stops the charges appearing on my account. My question is why do I have to pay to use wifi??? Never had that before in my life. hoping some mobile nerds are on here and can answer my question.

Edited by Liverpoolfan

1 minute ago, Liverpoolfan said:

No true.

at home I am connected to the wifi all day and have 4G disable via my phone.

I know that to disable this feature you need to send a code to AIS and they will disable all 4G internet features, which in turn stops the charges appearing on my account. My question is why do I have to pay to use wifi??? Never had that before in my life. hoping some mobile nerds are on here and can answer my question.

Your assuming your just using WIFI. Why dont you disable 4g on your phone for a day and see if you get the charges. If you got an android phone its easy to do. Then your 100% sure that all you use is WIFI

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Your assuming your just using WIFI. Why dont you disable 4g on your phone for a day and see if you get the charges. If you got an android phone its easy to do. Then your 100% sure that all you use is WIFI

Please read my reply properly.

I always have 4G disabled when I am at home and using my wifi.

4 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:

By the sound of things the 3 baht/day is what's know in the utilities industry worldwide as a "standing charge". That is, you're being charged for availability rather than usage. Both power and water companies use it all the time. The service is available whether you use it or not, therefore you are charged for it

1 minute ago, ThaiBunny said:

By the sound of things the 3 baht/day is what's know in the utilities industry worldwide as a "standing charge". That is, you're being charged for availability rather than usage. Both power and water companies use it all the time. The service is available whether you use it or not, therefore you are charged for it

first time ive ever heard of mobile phone companies using standing charges.

anyone else use AIS?

are you also being charged for not using 4G?

8 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

That's' because its not true. Just phone up support and tell them to stop all charges. I have personal experience of this with DTAC and True (never used AIS) - I asked for a refund as well and got it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

anyone else use AIS?

are you also being charged for not using 4G?

I've been with AIS as a postpaid customer for over fifteen years. I have 4G and I use my wifi at home and elsewhere on my phone. I've never been charged for doing that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2020 at 12:35 PM, Liverpoolfan said:

Please read my reply properly.

I always have 4G disabled when I am at home and using my wifi.

Do you physically disable 4G when you're at home or have you got you phone set to 'select wifi when available' as a preference? If you've got it set this way, even though you may be at home all day, your wifi only needs to be interrupted momentarily for your phone will automatically switch to 4G for that short time and that (short) 4G use could trigger the 3 baht charge.

On 1/5/2020 at 12:20 PM, Liverpoolfan said:

How are they able to get away with charging people for nothing?

They don't.  If you're being charged it's for a service, obviously, I have an AIS sim and I get charged nothing except call charges.

How did you get on when you called them to ask them about it?

i use a monthly AIS package, if i do my monthly top up at the AIS shop in paragon it costs me 350 baht, if i do it at the AIS shop in central world it costs me 370 baht. i spoke to the manager at central world, who spoke good english and was good at waffling, he said it was something to do with tax while evading my main point about different AIS shops charging different amounts. anyway easy to solve the problem; i always top up at paragon.

if you're not happy with a product or service speak to a representative of the company, if you are still not happy change product/service provider. dont get stressed.

On 1/5/2020 at 12:20 PM, Liverpoolfan said:

I got a new iphone 11 last month and put an AIS sim in it. First time ever with this provider as im usually with DTAC. I have noticed that i keep getting charged around 3 baht daily just for using my phone over WIFI at home.

I'm on the AIS 150bht/month unlimited 4Mbs data and unlimited 15 minute phone calls SIM.

No other charges, think it's great.

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

and unlimited 15 minute phone calls

Can you clarify - ie is it limited to 15 minutes a month or a call cannot be longer than 15 minutes?

If the latter that could be interesting to me - what is the SIM called? 

6 minutes ago, topt said:

Can you clarify - ie is it limited to 15 minutes a month or a call cannot be longer than 15 minutes?

If the latter that could be interesting to me - what is the SIM called? 

Call ends at 15 minutes, you can immediately redial if you want, all day, every day.

Deal is gone, was for new SIMs purchased in November 2019.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, samsensam said:

i use a monthly AIS package, if i do my monthly top up at the AIS shop in paragon it costs me 350 baht, if i do it at the AIS shop in central world it costs me 370 baht. i spoke to the manager at central world, who spoke good english and was good at waffling, he said it was something to do with tax while evading my main point about different AIS shops charging different amounts. anyway easy to solve the problem; i always top up at paragon.

if you're not happy with a product or service speak to a representative of the company, if you are still not happy change product/service provider. dont get stressed.

What package is it exactly? It will say within the phone application or here; https://myais.ais.co.th/login?returnUrl=%2Fhome

The shops have no control over how much the package will cost.

Apart from that, I don't understand why you need to go to an AIS shop in order to top up.