Jump to content
BANGKOK
Liverpoolfan

Why do AIS keep charging me for nothing?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I got a new iphone 11 last month and put an AIS sim in it. First time ever with this provider as im usually with DTAC. I have noticed that i keep getting charged around 3 baht daily just for using my phone over WIFI at home.

 

Does anyone know why this is? I already know how to disable it but it also means disabling 4G as well and I dont want to do that. 

How are they able to get away with charging people for nothing?

Edited by Liverpoolfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You said it yourself your using 4g because when you disable it you don't get the charges. So your not just using wifi your using 4g too.

 

Solution is as you said disable 4g. Anyway 3bt a day is nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, robblok said:

You said it yourself your using 4g because when you disable it you don't get the charges. So your not just using wifi your using 4g too.

 

Solution is as you said disable 4g. Anyway 3bt a day is nothing.

Not true.

at home I am connected to the wifi all day and have 4G disable via my phone.

i still get charged 3 bht a day just for using my wifi.

I know that to disable this feature you need to send a code to AIS and they will disable all 4G internet features, which in turn stops the charges appearing on my account. My question is why do I have to pay to use wifi??? Never had that before in my life. hoping some mobile nerds are on here and can answer my question.

Edited by Liverpoolfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Liverpoolfan said:

No true.

at home I am connected to the wifi all day and have 4G disable via my phone.

i still get charged 3 bht a day just for using my wifi.

I know that to disable this feature you need to send a code to AIS and they will disable all 4G internet features, which in turn stops the charges appearing on my account. My question is why do I have to pay to use wifi??? Never had that before in my life. hoping some mobile nerds are on here and can answer my question.

Your assuming your just using WIFI. Why dont you disable 4g on your phone for a day and see if you get the charges. If you got an android phone its easy to do. Then your 100% sure that all you use is WIFI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, robblok said:

Your assuming your just using WIFI. Why dont you disable 4g on your phone for a day and see if you get the charges. If you got an android phone its easy to do. Then your 100% sure that all you use is WIFI

Please read my reply properly.

I always have 4G disabled when I am at home and using my wifi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:

i still get charged 3 bht a day just for using my wifi.

By the sound of things the 3 baht/day is what's know in the utilities industry worldwide as a "standing charge". That is, you're being charged for availability rather than usage. Both power and water companies use it all the time. The service is available whether you use it or not, therefore you are charged for it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ThaiBunny said:

By the sound of things the 3 baht/day is what's know in the utilities industry worldwide as a "standing charge". That is, you're being charged for availability rather than usage. Both power and water companies use it all the time. The service is available whether you use it or not, therefore you are charged for it

first time ive ever heard of mobile phone companies using standing charges.

anyone else use AIS?

are you also being charged for not using 4G?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the wifi is a red herring, maybe a daily advertising charge going through? i was getting scam 10 baht daily charges for a while before i called to cancel and get a refund. Look online at the statement you should be able to work out what it is, or just call

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

first time ive ever heard of mobile phone companies using standing charges.

That's' because its not true. Just phone up support and tell them to stop all charges. I have personal experience of this with DTAC and True (never used AIS) - I asked for a refund as well and got it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not unique to AIS...it is a common business model to add bogus charges...hoping no one will notice...then dealing with the people who complain by never apologizing...give you credit...not your baht back...

 

This is Thailand...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

first time ive ever heard of mobile phone companies using standing charges.

anyone else use AIS?

are you also being charged for not using 4G?

I've been with AIS as a postpaid customer for over fifteen years. I have 4G and I use my wifi at home and elsewhere on my phone. I've never been charged for doing that.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remove the Sim card.

Turn on flight mode - this will stop you from getting constant warnings about having no sim.

Turn on wifi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2020 at 12:35 PM, Liverpoolfan said:

Please read my reply properly.

I always have 4G disabled when I am at home and using my wifi.

Do you physically disable 4G when you're at home or have you got you phone set to 'select wifi when available' as a preference? If you've got it set this way, even though you may be at home all day, your wifi only needs to be interrupted momentarily for your phone will automatically switch to 4G for that short time and that (short) 4G use could trigger the 3 baht charge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2020 at 12:20 PM, Liverpoolfan said:

How are they able to get away with charging people for nothing?

They don't.  If you're being charged it's for a service, obviously, I have an AIS sim and I get charged nothing except call charges.

 

How did you get on when you called them to ask them about it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...