Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Chiang Mai Immigration Q & A - Info and reports. (2020)


Recommended Posts

I entered from the USA on a SETV.

Within a week my 1st 60 days are up and I have to renew for the final 30.

 

Would appreciate help for some questions:

 

What line do I get in?

 

What time do I have to be there by?

 

Do I need passport size photos or anything else to provide other than my passport?

 

Is there a fee for the renewal?

 

Also, Bangkok Bank told me they would open an account if I get what is apparently a Certificate of Residency from Imm.

 

I've been staying at a hotel so I probably will be denied but will give it a try.

 

Can the person renewing my Visa also grant me this or do I need another line after I get renewed?

 

I can see from the sample form the bank gave me that a passport photo is needed for this (or possibly 2).

 

Thank you for any info.

Edited by JimmyJ
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do not go to a visa agent. Go to the nearest immigration office. Do not leave it until the last possible day. Bring 1,900 baht, a passport photo, your passport, a photocopy of the personal detai

Personally, I don't give a flying flamingo about who any older expat male chooses to keep company.  And it doesn't bother me to see expat men with Thai women decades younger them then.  I've been happ

Sure, if you have to happen to have a long-term, much-loved, Westerner customer of the bank lying around, bring him with you. Failing that, my suggestion of "a Thai friend who already has an accoun

Posted Images

Questions and Answers on all ""Immigration" issues in Chiang Mai.

 

Posts that are off topic, argumentative, etc. will be aggressively removed to keep this topic with useful information for members.

 

This topic is for current details and members experience with the immigration office in Chiang Mai.

Any other issues should be posted or referred to the main Visa forum.

 

Here is a link to the previous thread for reference purposes.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, donnacha said:

Do not go to a visa agent.

Go to the nearest immigration office. Do not leave it until the last possible day.

Bring 1,900 baht, a passport photo, your passport, a photocopy of the personal details page of your passport, a photocopy of the visa in your passport (2 photocopies in total), and a pen.

If you do not have a photo or the photocopies, there will be a shop nearby where you can get them done for a reasonable price.

The form will probably be freely available on tables. Many other foreigners will be submitting the same form. It asks for simple information, so, should not take more than 5 minutes to complete.

Bring the completed form to the counter, along with the photo, photocopies, and the 1,900 baht. If you do not have the exact amount, you can give them 2,000 and receive your 100 baht in change at the end.

The counter staff will give you a numbered ticket. Wait until your number is called. They will take your photo and ask you to sit down again. About five or ten minutes later they will call your name and you can collect your passport, a receipt, and any change. The whole process should be complete within an hour.

You can go there up to a week before the expiry of your current permission to remain. Your new permission will be extended 30 days from your old permission, regardless of when you get it done.

I have never heard of anyone not getting the extension, but exercise common sense: dress neatly, hide any tattoos, be polite. 

Getting a Bank Account

You cannot receive any form of residence certification while you are here on a tourist visa. The bank staff know that but this was the politest way to make you go away.

These days, banks are unlikely to give an account to a foreigner who is not here on a longer term visa. If you are close to retirement age (50), however, it may be worth saying that, although you are on a tourist visa today, you want to set up a savings account to lodge your 800,000 baht into before your next visit to Thailand.

It may also increase your chances if you are accompanied by a Thai friend who already has an account at that branch.

The chances are, however, that you will not be able to get an account at any of the banks until you are on a longer term visa. It is probably a firm rule. I am simply saying that if there is any chance those two things would help.

All the information you could need about any immigration or bank process in Thailand is already available in this forum. Use the search feature and read the most recent threads you can find. Do not treat any one post as gospel, consider a variety of opinions.

 

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

 

Does it matter what time I get to the CM Imm. office?

 

I had gone to Bangkok Bank at Kad Suan Kaew mall as that particular branch was cited many times as being good for opening an account and also saw Khun Sombat who one poster cited as having helped many get an account so disappointed he was jerking me around.

A fast "No" is the 2nd best answer.

 

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you obtain a Certificate of Residency, you don't need a Thai friend to help you open an account at Bangkok Bank Kad Suan Kaew, but a foreign friend who has banked there for a long time and keeps several million in their bank is just as good.  

 

I've seen their staff look in disdain when someone brings in a one-week Thai girlfriend to act as their "Thai guarantee" when they'd be much better off bringing in a westerner who has banked at that branch for 8 - 10 years and knows everyone there. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

OP wrote >

I entered from the USA on a SETV.

Within a week my 1st 60 days are up and I have to renew for the final 30.

@donnacha answered your queries accurately.

 

Question > Is it your intent to stay long-term in Thailand? 

If so, you need to apply at least 15 (some IOs require 21) days before your permission to stay expires, for a Non Imm O Visa. 

However to do so, you need to be +50 years of age for the RETIREMENT option.

Or being married to a thai national to apply for the MARRIAGE option.

>> If you are eligible PM me, and I will provide you with a comprehensive roadmap with all details/options on how to do it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to all who helped with advice, especially donnacha for his detailed instructions. Also thanks CMBob for filling in some more details.

(And Peter Denis for pm'ing his instructions on the Retirement Extension).

 

Obtained the 30 day extension of my SETV without issue.

3 hours from when I thought of starting a stopwatch, probably 3.5 hours total time there.

(Arrived about 10:30 am).

 

Overall I thought the CM Office is thoughtfully organized for a newbie walking in - young helpers outside, sample forms on the outside bulletin board, etc.

 

 

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, @jeffandgop.  It is good to see a succinct report based on actual experience.  I am in a similar situation, except I arrived on a O-A retirement in 2002.  If the insurance situation isn't more favorable when I renew my visa in October, I will do the same.  Good news for a change. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cnxgary said:

In JeffandJob"s post they mention in section 7 that IO requires a bank statement, updated bank book and a bank certificate. What is a bank certificate and how is that different from a bank letter?

I don’t know the answer to that. Best to check with Immigration.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, cnxgary said:

In JeffandJob"s post they mention in section 7 that IO requires a bank statement, updated bank book and a bank certificate. What is a bank certificate and how is that different from a bank letter?

The bank letter is CERTIFIED via the bank officers stamp and signature.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Was at immigration last week, guy sitting next to me was waiting for 1yr retirement extension (800,000 deposited). He had the bank letter, also every page of updated bank book photo copied and stamped by his bank, no printed off statements from the bank, as I did last year. This is the process now?

20200109_104031.jpg

Edited by roo860
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Was at immigration last week, guy sitting next to me was waiting for 1yr retirement extension (800,000 deposited). He had the bank letter, also every page of updated bank book photo copied and stamped by his bank, no printed off statements from the bank, as I did last year. This is the process now?

20200109_104031.jpg

7.3 Appears to be the combo method which Chiang Mai immigration was not accepting because it was too difficult for them to work out?

Acceptable now?

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Thailand said:

7.3 Appears to be the combo method which Chiang Mai immigration was not accepting because it was too difficult for them to work out?

Acceptable now?

Ok cheers, but I wanted to know if anyone has recently done the 800,000 deposit, and what's now required from the bank.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, roo860 said:

Ok cheers, but I wanted to know if anyone has recently done the 800,000 deposit, and what's now required from the bank.

I have never had to supply printed statements when using an 800,000 fix account for my extension of retirement permission nor when the account was a savings account when I did that early on (later using the fix account). Just the bank book with copies of its pages and the bank letter. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jeffandgop said:

I have never had to supply printed statements when using an 800,000 fix account for my extension of retirement permission nor when the account was a savings account when I did that early on (later using the fix account). Just the bank book with copies of its pages and the bank letter. 

Cheers, before I've had a 3 month bank statement printed at the bank, the guy I was sat next to had his bank book copies stamped by his bank. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2020 at 12:09 PM, Peter Denis said:

OP wrote >

I entered from the USA on a SETV.

Within a week my 1st 60 days are up and I have to renew for the final 30.

@donnacha answered your queries accurately.

 

Question > Is it your intent to stay long-term in Thailand? 

If so, you need to apply at least 15 (some IOs require 21) days before your permission to stay expires, for a Non Imm O Visa. 

However to do so, you need to be +50 years of age for the RETIREMENT option.

Or being married to a thai national to apply for the MARRIAGE option.

>> If you are eligible PM me, and I will provide you with a comprehensive roadmap with all details/options on how to do it.

I have been told directly by the chief officer (often in charge at the Information Desk) that the Chiang Mai Office requires 21, NOT just "at least" 15 days as written on the sheet of instructions handed out by the Information Desk.  I suggest 21 days is a good idea.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, roo860 said:

Ok cheers, but I wanted to know if anyone has recently done the 800,000 deposit, and what's now required from the bank.

Yes, I did mine on Nov 2019 on 800k deposit.  

 

They required 4 things from me.

1. Copies of bank passbook

2. Bank letter

3. Bank statement of transactions

4. Passport pages.

 

When I did my renewal in 2018, they didn't require item #3. Every year they seem to add more unnecessary requirements.

 

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Thailand said:

7.3 Appears to be the combo method which Chiang Mai immigration was not accepting because it was too difficult for them to work out?

Acceptable now?

If they don't accept that method, then why is it printed on official letter given out to applicants?

Link to post
Share on other sites

For those who are doing an O (Not O-A) extension with 800,000 in the bank did mine yesterday (Tuesday 14 Jan).

 

Took some time as very busy, arrived 9.30 and left at 4:30 with extension and re-entry stamps.

 

Get papers check outside first, get a number and then queue up inside to get another number. Seems they do around 10 per hour but did over 100 long term extensions yesterday. Probably everyone that turned up.

 

Needed:

Application form (TM7) - include your room number, condo name and mobile number
   Bank letter and Bank statement for last 6 months. (original not copy)

        (Bangkok bank produced both these in 20 minutes the day before for 200 Baht)
   Copy of bank book, cover page and the amount pages after it is updated by the bank. Mine is fixed deposit with no transactions all year.
    Passport -
        photo page,
        either original visa or visa transfer to new passport,
        last entry stamp,
        tm6,
        all extension stamps in the passport

    TM30
    90 day report.

    Terms and conditions forms (2 of them). This is new from outside immigration.

 

Foreign wife who has dependent visa
    Same papers but not bank instead certified marriage certificate signed by both husband and wife

 

Re-Entry

    Application form (there is a new one on two sides of the page) (TM8) Download from 3rd entry on:

 Passport
        Photo page,
        last entry and TM6,
        latest extension of stay plus current one, ie to 2020 and to 2021.
        Original visa, or transfer stamp from old passport
    TM30

 

Hope this is helpful.

 

Edited by briley
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

No need to show long term housing lease this year?  I needed that 2019.  It was total bull<deleted>e coz i could move out with one month's notice with no consequences. 

But in T'land it is not only Immig that is confounded by outlandish rules, daily changes, discrepancies between offices, etc.  The entire Thai govt operates the SAME way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

No need to show long term housing lease this year?  I needed that 2019.  It was total bull<deleted>e coz i could move out with one month's notice with no consequences. 

But in T'land it is not only Immig that is confounded by outlandish rules, daily changes, discrepancies between offices, etc.  The entire Thai govt operates the SAME way. 

No - I have a yellow book but was not asked for it, but then I wasn't asked last year either.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2020 at 1:31 PM, donnacha said:


Getting a Bank Account

You cannot receive any form of residence certification while you are here on a tourist visa. The bank staff know that but this was the politest way to make you go away.

These days, banks are unlikely to give an account to a foreigner who is not here on a longer term visa. If you are close to retirement age (50), however, it may be worth saying that, although you are on a tourist visa today, you want to set up a savings account to lodge your 800,000 baht into before your next visit to Thailand.

It may also increase your chances if you are accompanied by a Thai friend who already has an account at that branch.

The chances are, however, that you will not be able to get an account at any of the banks until you are on a longer term visa. It is probably a firm rule. I am simply saying that if there is any chance those two things would help.

All the information you could need about any immigration or bank process in Thailand is already available in this forum. Use the search feature and read the most recent threads you can find. Do not treat any one post as gospel, consider a variety of opinions.

 

USA citizen.

 

Donnacha's explanation of how to extend my SETV for the additional 30 days was extremely helpful and I would suggest it be pinned.

 

As far as getting a Certificate of Residence from Immigration, I'm happy to report success.

 

Took my documents to a young woman on the 2nd floor stairwell who was helpful.

Had to go to the the white building directly across the street and make a copy of my passport's info page and my Visa page (3 BHT per page), as I'd given my copies I"d brought to Imm. for the SETV extension.

 

Was told I can come back the next day and get the Certificate for 500 BHT or get it in 8 days for free which I chose.

 

Asked if I will be contacted if it is denied or they need more info and she said "I've already approved it."

 

It was clear that I succeeded because I had a copy of the TM30 from my hotel.

 

Hope this helps, and that posting this doesn't somehow cause a stop to being able to get the CoR on a Tourist Visa.

 

PS - Successfully opened 2 bank accounts the next day.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

PS - Successfully opened 2 bank accounts the next day.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Next day after you went to immigration as described or next day after waiting 8 days for cor?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...