BANGKOK
JimmyJ

Chiang Mai Immigration Q & A - Info and reports. (2020)

14 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

Are CM immigration still currently processing 90 day reports via Mail?  I know that the need to do 90 day reports has been suspended until the 31st of July but if I can I would like to keep mine up to date and not have join the masses come the end of July.  Thanks in advance.

Yes you can still do the 90 days by mail,I did mine 2 weeks ago.

• Thanks 1

On 6/3/2020 at 10:33 AM, Dmaxdan said:

Are CM immigration still currently processing 90 day reports via Mail?  I know that the need to do 90 day reports has been suspended until the 31st of July but if I can I would like to keep mine up to date and not have join the masses come the end of July.  Thanks in advance.

By post, online, in person via the office, drive through- all options operational.

• Thanks 1

Are 90 day reports back at the airport location or still at Promenada?

On 5/23/2020 at 12:07 PM, XGM said:

Did anyone go there recently? I will need to do my Non-Imm-O Extension (based on Marriage) in the next weeks.

Hi, did you make your Non-O extension allready and where there any changes with last year?Thanks

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dvg said:

Hi, did you make your Non-O extension allready and where there any changes with last year?Thanks

Yes, we went last Tuesday. We made the mistake of arriving just before 8am. You have your temperature taken when entering the parking lot, sign your name in a book, and get an initial number. This number has nothing to do with your actual queue number to be processed, it's just your place in line to enter the main building. Until then, you are directed to a makeshift tent in the parking lot. There were a few dozens foreigners waiting there when we arrived. The initial documents checks were done in and around that tent, by foreign volunteers (An Indian and a western looking person, no idea why they are there). No tables so our documents were placed on a nearby parking car and checked that way (we were lucky - no wind or rain..). Then once the document are ok and signed, and if there aren't too many people inside the building you are allowed to enter and approach the main desk, where your documents are checked once again, this time by the Thai staff. It took us over 40 minutes just to get into the building. As we later found out, very few people arrived later on and the place was virtually empty when we left, around 12:00. So I recommend not to try to be there when the place opens, just arrive at around 10:00 or later and have a much more relaxed experience.

As for the process inside, they changed the whole layout - when your number is called you don't go and sit in front of the immigration officer's desk anymore, you hand in your documents through a window. Any additional signatures, payment etc are all done through that window. No special requests were made regarding the documents. The officer also handled my 90 days report stamp with no fine due to the amnesty. I didn't have to queue again for that.

Edited by XGM
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, XGM said:

Yes, we went last Tuesday. We made the mistake of arriving just before 8am. You have your temperature taken when entering the parking lot, sign your name in a book, and get an initial number. This number has nothing to do with your actual queue number to be processed, it's just your place in line to enter the main building. Until then, you are directed to a makeshift tent in the parking lot. There were a few dozens foreigners waiting there when we arrived. The initial documents checks were done in and around that tent, by foreign volunteers (An Indian and a western looking person, no idea why they are there). No tables so our documents were placed on a nearby parking car and checked that way (we were lucky - no wind or rain..). Then once the document are ok and signed, and if there aren't too many people inside the building you are allowed to enter and approach the main desk, where your documents are checked once again, this time by the Thai staff. It took us over 40 minutes just to get into the building. As we later found out, very few people arrived later on and the place was virtually empty when we left, around 12:00. So I recommend not to try to be there when the place opens, just arrive at around 10:00 or later and have a much more relaxed experience.

As for the process inside, they changed the whole layout - when your number is called you don't go and sit in front of the immigration officer's desk anymore, you hand in your documents through a window. Any additional signatures, payment etc are all done through that window. No special requests were made regarding the documents. The officer also handled my 90 days report stamp with no fine due to the amnesty. I didn't have to queue again for that.

Thanks for that XGM.We cannot come before 8 o"clock this year.Last year,we were there at 7.30, was send back to bank for update bankbook,I did it the day before together with the bankstatement as for 10 years. They needed it now from the same day.When we came back,was send home again for photo nr 3 in the bedroom,always 2 was OK.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, dvg said:

Thanks for that XGM.We cannot come before 8 o"clock this year.Last year,we were there at 7.30, was send back to bank for update bankbook,I did it the day before together with the bankstatement as for 10 years. They needed it now from the same day.When we came back,was send home again for photo nr 3 in the bedroom,always 2 was OK.

If you mean that a visit to the bank is required first - you don't need the bank to be open in order to update the bank book. Just have someone transfer any amount to your account on that day, or withdraw any minor amount using an ATM, then use the book update machine. That's what I did.

Edited by XGM

Did you pre sign all your documents before you arrived there?  I have tried that in the past to keep from sitting there an extra 30 minutes doing so but was made to re sign most of them again because they didn’t like the location or size of my signature.  Maybe this year is different?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GregTN said:

Did you pre sign all your documents before you arrived there?  I have tried that in the past to keep from sitting there an extra 30 minutes doing so but was made to re sign most of them again because they didn’t like the location or size of my signature.  Maybe this year is different?

I didn't sign them in advance - I signed them after they were initially checked (out of the building). Yes that was one of the reasons it took us a lot of time just to get in. But evidently those signatures weren't good enough anyway and I had to sign some of the documents again, when they were submitted to the immigration officer who actually handles the application. The reason, as I learned, is she uses a big rectangular stamp on each document, and you have to sign in the middle of that stamp. If you sign at the edge of the page she can't fit the stamp around it. In addition, some documents only needed to be signed by me, others both by me and my wife - IIRC, the Marriage Certificate copies and the Kor ror 2 and some others. Another reason is that with the family photos you have to sign on the photo itself. If for example the photo occupies only a part of the page and you sign on the margins it isn't good.

Edited by XGM
  • Thanks 1

Went for my Non "O" Retirement extension last Tuesday (2 June).

Arrived just before 10am, after taking a 9am delivery from from BigC and visiting Bangkok Bank for a book update and to an account confirmation letter.

After a temperature check was picked up by the Indian helper who checked my documents, he added the extra three declarations for me to sign and directed me to the information desk.

Another document check and sort into the correct order and then given number "O 46". Sat down and waited for my number to come up.

About 11:30am my number was called. Documents passed through the plastic window and sat down again. about 11:45am was called, paid 1900 Baht, had photo taken and waited. Just before 12am was called for passport and receipt.

They appear to process a maximum of 50 people per morning for long term extensions.

The only problem was that they appear to be checking that addresses are correct and they couldn't find mine, called my wife over and they sorted it out.

Out by about 12:10pm.

We were particularly impressed by the help given by the Indian helper initially, he ensured a smooth passage. Well done...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/8/2020 at 12:04 PM, rawhod said:

Went for my Non "O" Retirement extension last Tuesday (2 June).

Arrived just before 10am, after taking a 9am delivery from from BigC and visiting Bangkok Bank for a book update and to an account confirmation letter.

After a temperature check was picked up by the Indian helper who checked my documents, he added the extra three declarations for me to sign and directed me to the information desk.

Another document check and sort into the correct order and then given number "O 46". Sat down and waited for my number to come up.

About 11:30am my number was called. Documents passed through the plastic window and sat down again. about 11:45am was called, paid 1900 Baht, had photo taken and waited. Just before 12am was called for passport and receipt.

They appear to process a maximum of 50 people per morning for long term extensions.

The only problem was that they appear to be checking that addresses are correct and they couldn't find mine, called my wife over and they sorted it out.

Out by about 12:10pm.

We were particularly impressed by the help given by the Indian helper initially, he ensured a smooth passage. Well done...

Did he check whether you had 800k for 3 months and 400k after that?

Edited by EricTh

Went to immigration yesterday to apply for residence certificate. Here's what I found.

We can't park our motorcycle inside anymore, we have to go opposite the busy road and pay 20 baht. 

There is a screening point outside where they spray something on your body as we go in.

Then our temperature is checked and we have to jot down our name.

There were just a few people waiting to submit the application. So the waiting time was about 5 minutes.

The lady there could speak good English which was a surprise. Then she handed me a small paper to come back after 20 days.

I noticed there was an Indian guy with a heavy Indian accent outside helping foreigners. Who is he?

In Chiang Mai, regarding the first one-year extension to a Non-O based on marriage:

Immigration provides a list of required documents. At the very bottom of the list is this - 

**In case of divorce, must bring Divorce Certificate to show**

What the heck is that? I already have to provide papers, including the verification that I was single before I married, now attached to the Koror 2 required, showing a legal Thai marriage exists. Do they really want to see a copy of my American divorce papers from the 1980's? That requirement seems inexplicable and unique to this CM IM-generated document.  Has anyone been required to produce said divorce papers, or something else called a Divorce Certificate?

On 1/9/2020 at 8:22 AM, jeffandgop said:

Here is a copy of the list of requirements for extending stays based on marriage that CM IMM provided to us yesterday.

Have you completed the process, and could you tell me what was or was not required to satisfy the very last requirement listed, **In case of divorce...**? I asked this question several days ago on the last page of this topic and have received no responses. Thanks.