Chiang Mai Immigration Q & A - Info and reports. (2020)

JimmyJ

20 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Did anyone try to do the online 90 day reporting today?

The system seems to be down and the immigration office is closed for many days.

This really sucks.

Down since mid February, along with other online "services", multiple threads and posts about it

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 7:33 AM, McTavish said:

Years ago an agent was a worthwhile expense for persons in your situation.  Nowadays it's a waste of money as CM Immi is so much more streamlined, friendly, and with fewer clients - For the duration of Covid travel restrictions anyway.

Years ago an agent was a worthwhile expense for persons in your situation.  Nowadays it's a waste of money as CM Immi is so much more streamlined, friendly, and with fewer clients - For the duration of Covid travel restrictions anyway.

No Sorry wrong.

Very Happy spending my tinny income having a Pro do the heavy work for little old me, yous young Pups can keep CM immigration, the 5 mins I spent there last year where more that enough for me.

john

• Like 2

Oh my god???? you cetainly need assistance of a Visa agent????posting a very viable  available soloution ,to many expat,s residing in Cmai,and immediately posting the opposite ,that it  is only for Young Pups etc etc.????

Honestly????????

22 hours ago, deej said:

Oh my god???? you cetainly need assistance of a Visa agent????posting a very viable  available soloution ,to many expat,s residing in Cmai,and immediately posting the opposite ,that it  is only for Young Pups etc etc.????

Honestly????????

Baffled.

john

• Confused 1

On 4/9/2021 at 8:22 PM, ProbPossConf said:

April 12th - 15th.

With the recent rise in Covid cases in Chiang Mai, immigration should at least have made sure the online reporting system is up.

Now I have to make a trip just for 90 day reporting starting 16th when it will be extremely crowded after a long holiday. 

Is Promenada opening at same time as the airport immig?

Edited by EricTh

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

I believe it opens at 9AM

It certainly will be less full than the main office. I never had to wait longer than 5 minutes for a 90 day at Promenada. 

On 4/6/2021 at 10:36 AM, worgeordie said:

Did you request a date or do you just get the date they gave you ?.

as on the form I filled in (the first one), it just asked for my details

and never had a anything about dates, only the second option,

which I thought was just for those with work permits had a calendar

you could request date . thanks

regards Worgeordie

No.  Just submitted an application.  They came up with the new date before my current extension finished.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, EricTh said:

With the recent rise in Covid cases in Chiang Mai, immigration should at least have made sure the online reporting system is up.

Now I have to make a trip just for 90 day reporting starting 16th when it will be extremely crowded after a long holiday. 

Airport immigration drive through opens at 8.30a.m. and surely you have leeway before your report is due? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As one gets older one loses one's Power of memory.

My Visa Agent has just reminded me when my Retirement visa is due and to make sure that the money in the account I use is correct.

This caused me to check when my next 90 day is due. 3 weeks and I know at at the 2 week point they will send me a reminder to take my Passport down to them.

They take the strain, I suffer the pain, B city.

Mind you back in the days when I did my own 12 month visa I forgets just what time I had to be up by so I could quew up for a Number and then spend a hour or two waiting to be summoned to see first an Intern, first check on all documents, then a Police Sgt for his check and finally The Major who actually signed off your visa.

Now I cough up and I deliver my Passport then collect, a couple of days later, for the 90 day and I produce one live body at immigration, meet their man, (apologies for not being correct in your modern manner ), from the agency and then see the Thai Official who signs my Visa. 

5 mins last year in Immigration.

I wish all the best to the young pups who have so much time on their hands.

For me 5 mins is more than enough.

john

Edited by jonwilly
Termonlogy
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

Now I cough up and I deliver my Passport then collect, a couple of days later, for the 90 day and I produce one live body at immigration, meet their man, (apologies for not being correct in your modern manner ), from the agency and then see the Thai Official who signs my Visa

Drive thru quicker and easier.

8 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

As one gets older one loses one's Power of memory.

My Visa Agent has just reminded me when my Retirement visa is due and to make sure that the money in the account I use is correct.

This caused me to check when my next 90 day is due. 3 weeks and I know at at the 2 week point they will send me a reminder to take my Passport down to them.

They take the strain, I suffer the pain, B city.

Mind you back in the days when I did my own 12 month visa I forgets just what time I had to be up by so I could quew up for a Number and then spend a hour or two waiting to be summoned to see first an Intern, first check on all documents, then a Police Sgt for his check and finally The Major who actually signed off your visa.

Now I cough up and I deliver my Passport then collect, a couple of days later, for the 90 day and I produce one live body at immigration, meet their man, (apologies for not being correct in your modern manner ), from the agency and then see the Thai Official who signs my Visa. 

5 mins last year in Immigration.

I wish all the best to the young pups who have so much time on their hands.

For me 5 mins is more than enough.

john

I am no longer a young pup,but I have a calendar on the wall near the breakfast table

with dates written on for extension renewal, 90 day reports,so i never forget, I have never

used an agent in all my time here,I have much better things to do with 12,000 THB or

whatever they charge,even in the worst of times it was never more than half a day to

do the extension,so one day a year is not a problem, 90 day reports I done online,when

it stopped ,just sent by mail,  What to spend my 12 K on this year ?, not an agent that's

for sure, it's sooooo easy now........

but whatever floats your boat, take care

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Are you promoting high drama or just misinformed?

Try 3,000.

3000 Thb, then why are people who are using agents saying 12 K

is well spent for them....which agent is charging 3 K for obtaining

extension ,prey tell.

regards worgeordie

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

is well spent for them....which agent is charging 3 K for obtaining

extension ,prey tell.

regards worgeordie

Maybe the 12,000 is to 'overlook" the bank requirements?  And 3,000 for holding your hand when all the paperwork in order?  Just a guess, never used an agent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

but whatever floats your boat, take care

regards Worgeordie

As you say 

Whatever suits the individual, a Visa Agent suits me and B12K, cum on.

john

Now a friend is telling me of a new agent setting up who will collect at your place and do everything, just leaving the actual visit for the 12 month Visa.

Oh the New agent  is a well known person of high repute.

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

....3000 Thb, then why are people who are using agents saying 12 K is well spent for them.

They must be using "fixer" agents. And, yep, 3000bt is what I've paid to have my hands held and everything kosher for any possible Immigration 'gotchas': All copies made, with correct margins and signature placement; picture taken with appropriate blue background; limo service, with agent, to Imm's front door (and subsequent ride back to their office/my parked car); even handled, for free,  getting my medical insurance policy from LMG (as I'm on an O-A visa). Don't use their 90 day service, as, until recently, online was just fine. Probably will use their service to transfer stamps to my new passport, thus saving me a trip to Imm (and potential parking problem). Anyway, to each his own. 100 bucks well spent to grease the skids, although I can appreciate the grousing from those with limited funds....should of worked harder in your younger days.

Oh, this agent is the original one in Promenada, before changing their name and moving to quarters near Big C. Haven't changed their prices since I first used them four years ago.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Maybe the 12,000 is to 'overlook" the bank requirements?  And 3,000 for holding your hand when all the paperwork in order?  Just a guess, never used an agent.

Yeah, I've never used an agent too, they are a waste of money unless your money fall under 800k for the required period....

Edited by EricTh

35 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Anyway, to each his own. 100 bucks well spent to grease the skids, although I can appreciate the grousing from those with limited funds....should of worked harder in your younger days.

Sorry, i take your above remarks , with a Pinch of Salt,bordering on a personal insult????

In my case, over many yrs, i have  been  a DIY and Agent user, nice to have 2 options avaiilable when your extensions come around,and IMO presently Cmai Immgr  excellent  friendly service DIY is a winner.

Perhaps if the Zoo days, reappear again,  Yes, a agent maybe the best method to use.

• Like 2

On 4/13/2021 at 8:13 PM, EricTh said:

Now I have to make a trip just for 90 day reporting starting 16th when it will be extremely crowded 

????????????

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

which agent is charging 3 K for obtaining

extension ,prey tell.

Best Friend Visa Agency, 3k for retirement extension, same price for many years

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

is well spent for them

different fees for each agency. other services included? Immigration fees included?  Ask them.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I would disagree with that, as I know some that just prefer the convenience, others choose not to bring their capital here, and most of those are certainly not "rich".

Each to their own preference and choice.

I'm interested in exploring your knowledge on this topic. I need a visa. Is a PM cool?

On 4/12/2021 at 11:30 AM, deej said:

HI DAVID 

I USED McTavish,s criteria above ,plus a copy of my GPS location number, The excellent affable farung volounters will check your paperwork before entering to be processed by a Immgration  officer ,who gave  me , friendly service

with a smile .????

@deej For your bank letter, was it dated the day before you went or the same day? 

Thanks

Just went to airport immigration for 90 day report, the car queue was long, the waiting time was around 15 minutes to the front.

There were also many walk-in waiting near the 90 day window under the blazing sun.

Immigration could have avoided all these if they had fixed the online reporting problem.

There weren't many people inside the main office though.

All the usual foreign volunteers near the entrance have disappeared. I wonder why. 

Edited by EricTh
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

That day had came around again, "Retirement Extension day,"

first off to the Bank,to get Bank book updated and copies of it,

how long does it take to copy 4 pages of the bank book, nearly

15 mins it seems, OK bank stuff done,

I had copies of everything Immigration could possibly  ask for,

signed and dated, when I arrived it was much busier than I

expected it to be, the room was chok- a -blok , but my number

was the next one to be called, so everything done in less than

1 hour, Agents. ????.....the best 3000 Thb, I have never spent,