Chiang Mai Immigration Q & A - Info and reports. (2020)

JimmyJ

On 12/18/2020 at 12:14 PM, stament said:

I applied for a marriage extension and my wife and I have been interviewed.  I need to go back on Dec 23rd to see if my application has been successful.  Am I able to go on my own or is my wife also required to be there?  Hoping it's just me but you never know TIT after all.

I went to Immigration yesterday to get my visa decision.  I had to wait at counter 3 for about 30mins (4th in the queue) at 1pm.  Happy to say I got the 1 year extension so it will be a very merry Christmas for me.  Merry Christmas one and all....  :partytime2:

I recently reported to CM Immigration for my marriage visa extension.  I was so surprised to see how efficient and friendly the immigration officers were.  The officer who inspects your visa application before you are allowed in the front door was grumpy and less than friendly, which is what I became accustomed to when reporting to CM Immigration.  

However, once we entered the immigration building, everyone was professional and friendly.  It was like being in the twilight zone compared to the last 12 miserable years of reporting to immigration.  It took us 45 minutes to complete the application process.  I was given a date and time to return to immigration for the marriage visa stamp.  

I saw where immigration has a new head of immigration, and what a positive difference he has made over immigrations previous leaders.  I sure hope this new commander will stay in this position and continue to streamline CM Immigration.  

Another observation I couldn't help notice, was how few Westerners were there.  Anyone who doubts the mass exodus of westerners since 2018, just has to visit immigration today to see they are no longer here.     

On 12/31/2020 at 11:30 AM, CMNightRider said:

I recently reported to CM Immigration for my marriage visa extension.  I was so surprised to see how efficient and friendly the immigration officers were.  The officer who inspects your visa application before you are allowed in the front door was grumpy and less than friendly, which is what I became accustomed to when reporting to CM Immigration.  

However, once we entered the immigration building, everyone was professional and friendly.  It was like being in the twilight zone compared to the last 12 miserable years of reporting to immigration.  It took us 45 minutes to complete the application process.  I was given a date and time to return to immigration for the marriage visa stamp.  

I saw where immigration has a new head of immigration, and what a positive difference he has made over immigrations previous leaders.  I sure hope this new commander will stay in this position and continue to streamline CM Immigration.  

Another observation I couldn't help notice, was how few Westerners were there.  Anyone who doubts the mass exodus of westerners since 2018, just has to visit immigration today to see they are no longer here.     

The ones standing at the entrance or outside the entrance are not 'officers' but Filipino volunteers, that's why their English is excellent compared to most Thai. I find that they are quite friendly and patient compared to ...

On the contrary, I find the real woman officer sitting behind at the information counter (where they give you the queue number) quite rude and unprofessional. 

That was beginning of December. 

Exodus of westerners? LOL. I just saw a bunch of farangs happily talking away (without wearing masks) at the food court in Kad Suan Kaew today. There is certainly no exodus.

Edited by EricTh

We did our visa extensions a few weeks early last month, and the IO said to not forget our 90 day reports would be due 21st Jan (the old expiry date of the visa).  I questioned it because our 90 day reports aren't due until mid February and she confirmed it would have to be done. I assumed they had either changed things or my memory was playing tricks because I don't remember this being the case in the past.

Just tried to do it online and it gives me the error message (contact local office etc) which I have had in the past when I tried to do it 16 days early rather than 15 or put dates in manually.  

We kept our 90 day reports up to date throughout the amnesty periods last year, so it isn't something catching up with us.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this?  Not a huge drama, but as there is a query I don't want to do it by mail and it's a bit chilly getting on the scooter at the moment so I'd rather not  go there unless really necessary.

38 minutes ago, techno said:

Went to immigration at Promenada and a girl on the front desk told me that Chiang Mai Immigration are no longer processing online 90 day reports as the system is being abused, No other information available

Thanks for that, looks like we will have to go there if we really need to because the current one will expire on the date of the extension.

6 hours ago, techno said:

Went to immigration at Promenada and a girl on the front desk told me that Chiang Mai Immigration are no longer processing online 90 day reports as the system is being abused, No other information available

That makes no sense at all with the current Covid situation.

Sending more people to immigration instead of less!

Mail in still works I guess and is the drive thru still operational at airport imm?

32 minutes ago, Thailand said:

That makes no sense at all with the current Covid situation.

Sending more people to immigration instead of less!

Mail in still works I guess and is the drive thru still operational at airport imm?

How man times has incorrect information been posted about immigration ?

How many times has immigration policy been changed or reversed in a short time?

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2021 at 10:02 AM, techno said:

How is it being abused?  Could the girl have the wrong information? It is better to check with a higher up at the airport immig.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, EricTh said:

How is it being abused?  Could the girl have the wrong information? It is better to check with a higher up at the airport immig.

No idea at all, but I can confirm that's the info they are given.  Went to Prom yesterday morning (virtually empty apart from a couple of people extending visas), explained that we knew it wasn't due until February but IO at airport told us we had to do it when our old visas were due to expire.  They seemed unsure, had a discussion then stamped the existing ones and hand wrote the original February date above the stamp, so a wasted trip.  I asked if we could do it online and they said no, no explanation given. When we're within 15 days of it being due I'll try to do it online again and report back.

Can I convert my O/A extension to O (retirement NOT marriage) to avoid the insurance requirement while in the country? I understand that one need to leave the thailand to expire the O/A extension then return and apply for O at the local immigration. Just want to check since now you can convert from O/A to O based on marriage without leaving thailand.

Are the extension one at Promonada like the 90 days report ?

Thanks for your replies of assistance

I

7 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

Can I convert my O/A extension to O (retirement NOT marriage) to avoid the insurance requirement while in the country? I understand that one need to leave the thailand to expire the O/A extension then return and apply for O at the local immigration. Just want to check since now you can convert from O/A to O based on marriage without leaving thailand.

Are the extension one at Promonada like the 90 days report ?

Thanks for your replies of assistance

I

I heard an agent can do it in country for a price 20,000???

31 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

I heard an agent can do it in country for a price 20,000???

As the annual fee for the cheapest Non Imm O-A compliant health-insurance policy (LMG Plan-1 with 200K) deductible, is only 6.000 to 11.400 THB in the age-bracket of 51 to 75 years of age, it would be crazy to pay a Fixer Agent 20.000 THB to convert the permission to stay based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa, to one based on an O Visa, just to avoid that insurance requirement.

Also once land-borders are open again, it would be relatively easy to do that 'conversion' yourself.  I.e. exiting Thailand when your current Non Imm O-A Visa based permission to stay is due to expire, then return VisaExempt and apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement and subsequently apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on that Non Imm O Visa.  Exact same conditions/requirements, except for the health-insurance requirement which is NOT needed when applying for a 1-year retirement extension based on a Non Imm O Visa.

Applied yesterday, approved 8.54a.m. this morning.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

As the annual fee for the cheapest Non Imm O-A compliant health-insurance policy (LMG Plan-1 with 200K) deductible, is only 6.000 to 11.400 THB in the age-bracket of 51 to 75 years of age, it would be crazy to pay a Fixer Agent 20.000 THB to convert the permission to stay based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa, to one based on an O Visa, just to avoid that insurance requirement.

If you wish to compare only first year costs but if you consider that you have to pay the insurance every year and the agent fee only once in the first year then it is definately not crazy for someone staying two years or more which the case for many people.

33 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

If you wish to compare only first year costs but if you consider that you have to pay the insurance every year and the agent fee only once in the first year then it is definately not crazy for someone staying two years or more which the case for many people.

That's why I mentioned in the 2nd paragraph of my post the option to exit Thailand and re-entering VisaExempt which allows you to apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement and subsequent 1-year extension of stays based on that Non Imm O Visa.

Obviously with current entry-restrictions because of covid, that is not recommended at the moment but of course land-borders won't be closed forever so subscribing to the insurance for one year and doing such a conversion border-run once re-entering Thailand becomes easy again, would imo be recommended over spending 20K.

Re 90 Day online reporting in Chiang Mai;

Applied online at 1103 and approved by E-mail 1134 today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fangless said:

Be aware that the e-mailed approval message of your on-line 90-day report might be just a 'mail received' notification, and that actual approval might still be pending.

Your on-line submitted 90-day report is approved only when you are able to access on the site the 'Receipt of Notification' which contains your 'next appointment' date.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

land-borders won't be closed forever so subscribing to the insurance for one year and doing such a conversion border-run once re-entering Thailand becomes easy again, would imo be recommended over spending 20K.

For me anyway the cost of making a land border run by road out of pocket extenses would likely eat up most if not all of what you are suggesting could be saved by getting insurance for a year.  Plus the general inconvenience cost of having to make such a trip would push the total over 20,000 for sure, a three or four day road trip is no longer a trip I prefer and I am happy to pay a few thousand Baht to avoid one.

49 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

For me anyway the cost of making a land border run by road out of pocket extenses would likely eat up most if not all of what you are suggesting could be saved by getting insurance for a year.  Plus the general inconvenience cost of having to make such a trip would push the total over 20,000 for sure, a three or four day road trip is no longer a trip I prefer and I am happy to pay a few thousand Baht to avoid one.

Yes, I agree that everybody's priorities and circumstances are different.  20.000 THB strikes me as a considerable sum, but doing a border-run would be easy for me, living approx 70 km from a land-border crossing (same morning in-out).  And being 63 years of age, I just applied for the LMG Plan-1 insurance (7.700 THB) as border-closures currently prevent me from doing the above.

Skipping insurance is ultimately problematic in my view unless you can afford to self-insure.  The deciding factor, of course, is whether you have adequate reserves or not.  Apparently a lot of people don't, and a lot of people are apparently living on wishful thinking without some sort of family support here or back in the home country.  That's what got a lot of expatriates in trouble to start off with and why the Thai government decided to crack down on swallowing health care costs for foreigners.  Now, playing dodge-'em games with Immigration rules legally or illegally probably isn't going to last forever. A prime example:  conversions from NI-O to N-O for reason of retirement. The NON-0 for marriage may also eventually be on the way out.

The Thai government has initially come up with a half-baked solution fine for some (when young) but still a problem for some foreigners under 75 and all 75 or over since no approved insurance option was apparently offered to the latter group.  The latter was really outrageous.  And the TGIA policies are not valid for international coverage. 

Even if you start out with a low-ball TGIA-approved solution (LMG seems popular),  you had better check out the premium increases with advanced age cohorts if you have a "renewable" policy.  I think Peter Denis did this once upon a time.  Perhaps someone will do that again.  It's an eye-popping wallet-opener! Rapacious insurance companies to blame?  Not really. I am no friend of insurance companies, but they are in business to earn a profit. They basically follow what the actuarial tables say.  Seems that older folks are more likely to get sick. What's surprising about that?

Recently it was announced that TAT has apparently decided not to complain about a modest fee for all entering tourists covering in part emergency medical costs while in the kingdom.  No details yet.  How that will ultimately affect "long-stayers" hasn't been spelled out at all that I am aware of.  Stay tuned!   And stay healthy!!

21 minutes ago, Mapguy said:

Skipping insurance is ultimately problematic in my view unless you can afford to self-insure.  The deciding factor, of course, is whether you have adequate reserves or not.  Apparently a lot of people don't, and a lot of people are apparently living on wishful thinking without some sort of family support here or back in the home country.  That's what got a lot of expatriates in trouble to start off with and why the Thai government decided to crack down on swallowing health care costs for foreigners.  Now, playing dodge-'em games with Immigration rules legally or illegally probably isn't going to last forever. A prime example:  conversions from NI-O to N-O for reason of retirement. The NON-0 for marriage may also eventually be on the way out.

The Thai government has initially come up with a half-baked solution fine for some (when young) but still a problem for some foreigners under 75 and all 75 or over since no approved insurance option was apparently offered to the latter group.  The latter was really outrageous.  And the TGIA policies are not valid for international coverage. 

Even if you start out with a low-ball TGIA-approved solution (LMG seems popular),  you had better check out the premium increases with advanced age cohorts if you have a "renewable" policy.  I think Peter Denis did this once upon a time.  Perhaps someone will do that again.  It's an eye-popping wallet-opener! Rapacious insurance companies to blame?  Not really. I am no friend of insurance companies, but they are in business to earn a profit. They basically follow what the actuarial tables say.  Seems that older folks are more likely to get sick. What's surprising about that?

Recently it was announced that TAT has apparently decided not to complain about a modest fee for all entering tourists covering in part emergency medical costs while in the kingdom.  No details yet.  How that will ultimately affect "long-stayers" hasn't been spelled out at all that I am aware of.  Stay tuned!   And stay healthy!!

Stay  tuned ?

Status Quao will remain.

Barrow and all????

3 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Be aware that the e-mailed approval message of your on-line 90-day report might be just a 'mail received' notification, and that actual approval might still be pending.

Your on-line submitted 90-day report is approved only when you are able to access on the site the 'Receipt of Notification' which contains your 'next appointment' date.

Wrong;

As I said the e-mail tells you it is approved, not pending and I have printed out the next appointment and put it in my passport..

4 minutes ago, fangless said:

Wrong;

As I said the e-mail tells you it is approved, not pending and I have printed out the next appointment and put it in my passport..

I only mentioned my 'warning', because the e-mail I received after having submitted my 90-day on-line did say that it was approved.  But since it didn't mention the new 'next appointment date' I checked the status on the website, and to my surprise that very same 'Approved' document showed there as 'pending'.  And it took 1 more day (without any e-mail notification) before the status of that document was changed to 'approved' and that my Notification Receipt - with the new 'next appointment date' - was available for download.

Thai Immigration offices and consistency > a difficult combination!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dante99 said:

If you wish to compare only first year costs but if you consider that you have to pay the insurance every year and the agent fee only once in the first year th

Why wouldn't you need an agent, with his fees, in years two, three, etc?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

Why wouldn't you need an agent, with his fees, in years two, three, etc?

Well Jim to understand you need to read the earlier posts to discover that the conversation was about the big agent fee to change an A-O visa to an O visa without leaving the country.  After that extending the O visa can be done easily without an agent or if you choose using an agent for a fee of 3,000 Baht instead of the maybe 20,000 Baht for the A-O switch.  Or O-A whatever it is called.

I'm sure you will get it if you read the posts on the previous page.

On 1/18/2021 at 11:46 AM, fangless said:

So all that 90 day online discontinuation by the 'officers' were misinformation as usual? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

So all that 90 day online discontinuation by the 'officers' were misinformation as usual? 

It would appear so. 

I find the online system so easy to use and have never had a problem except when I forget to disable my VPN.

• Like 1