Maths tutor wanted - must be fluent in English.

stbkk

Hi all,

I hope somebody can help me or recommend somewhere I can look for assistance.

My son is in Year 11 at St. Andrews International at Ekamai in Bangkok. He was in the accelerated Maths group in Y10 and has already completed his IGCSE Maths (normally a 2 year course) in 1 year getting an A. He is now doing an additional Edexcel 'Pure Maths' IGCSE, (again in one year), which is apparently much harder (IB Core level), and would like some extra tutoring for a few months to help.

Mainly with calculus, but some other topics as well possibly.

Our location is mid-Sukhumvit, Phrakhanong/Ekamai, but travel would not be an issue if it is on the BTS/MRT.

Is there anybody out there who can help, or does anybody know of someone who might be able to help, please?

Must be a fluent English speaker, as although my son is bi-lingual he says he would be much more comfortable dealing with this complex subject in English.

PM me with any information, please.

Thanks very much to all, and wish all of you a happy and prosperous new year.

Steve

Does STA not offer this through one of the qualified teachers already employed at the school?

The international school in Bangkok where I work run tutoring programs. Parents can ask for certain subjects to be tutored to their child and teachers in the school can then volunteer if they want to do them (obviously they are paid extra). 

• Like 1

STA does not allow their teachers to tutor their own pupils, apparently. I guess the logic is that they should be doing that job in class?

Also my son is not particularly happy with the (new) maths teacher, and thinks he would be more comfortable with an outside tutor. 

13 hours ago, stbkk said:

STA does not allow their teachers to tutor their own pupils, apparently. I guess the logic is that they should be doing that job in class?

Also my son is not particularly happy with the (new) maths teacher, and thinks he would be more comfortable with an outside tutor. 

The school is quite right not to allow the person teaching to also tutor.    There is always the possibility that the teacher will help students more directly than is desired with the problems on the actual exams.  

23 hours ago, stbkk said:

Fair enough. Similarly, my school doesn't allow the specific teacher to do the tutoring to a student in their class, but they allow other members of staff to volunteer if they wish. Anyway, good luck. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...