Stupidity during "high" season

tabarin

Today noticed that Loy Kroh has closed off due to road maintenance or putting electric down the ground. 

This basically means transport can't drive trough and this in an already quiet high season. 

Really amazes me how stupid they plan things in Thailand as they were also working on beach road in Pattaya.

While there is many months with barely no tourists to do this without disturbing both businesses and tourists too much.

Clearly stupidity is the biggest reason for a decline in tourism. 

It's not stupidity, it's Thai logic - 

1) No planning

2) Wasting time in useless meetings without actually achieving anything

3) Being disorganised and lazy

4) Taking no action until the very last minute

5) Commencing critical works at the absolute worst possible time

6) Raise prices when experiencing customer decline

I know what got him upset.

3 hours ago, tabarin said:

Today noticed that Loy Kroh has closed off due to road maintenance or putting electric down the ground. 

This basically means transport can't drive trough and this in an already quiet high season. 

His GF had to walk to work and chewed his ear off. 

17 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

If you know so much, you would know that tourism isn't declining. What is that drivel about haters hate, spenders spend? You at calling Thai's stupid, makes this you a hater? You could really use that course. As you don't even know what they were doing exactly, how can you value the urgency?

Obviously you commenting would be expected, being at home all the time, I am sure you know so much... NOT.

If you even went out once a week I known you, as you are on FB under the same name. Never seen you in any establishments over 8 years.

8 minutes ago, tabarin said:

Obviously you commenting would be expected, being at home all the time, I am sure you know so much... NOT.

If you even went out once a week I known you, as you are on FB under the same name. Never seen you in any establishments over 8 years.

Another dumb assumption, I work here so get out almost everyday. Why should I come in the same establishments as you? Do you have any clue how many there are?

1 minute ago, FritsSikkink said:

Another dumb assumption, I work here so get out almost everyday. Why should I come in the same establishments as you? Do you have any clue how many there are?

You are unknown but keep dreaming, 

Regards, Pinot Noir

2 hours ago, varun said:

1) No planning

sounds like stupidity to me. 

5 hours ago, tabarin said:

....this in an already quiet high season.

So they're not really upsetting a lot of people apart from the OP.

The suggestion that a bit of road works inconvenience is going to drive the few tourists away is ludicrous.

Their country, their rules. Deal with it.

27 minutes ago, adammike said:

I guess they do any digging and road works, sewage pipes,cable laying during the high season simply because it's the dry season.

Dig a trench in April and it's full of water till November.

This.

Well, you certainly have put us in our place, Mr. Big Spender! Dropping your 3-5K per night and heading for the authentic Thai experience in Phuket! I look forward to the plethora of insight we will surely be blessed with in the coming months!

But as a humble (former) engineer, might I suggest that the primary reason for roadworks being scheduled during the tourism high season is that it also, remarkably, coincides with what we call the "dry season", which is the period during which construction becomes much easier and cheaper due to the lack of rains, flooding and other such bothersome things? I know for someone who rides a chariot of gold between Hi-So venues whilst dispensing pearls of wisdom before us swine that this seems such a minor inconvenience, but, well, it's "technical". 

So as you spend your time dispensing shekels amongst the denizens of Loy Kroh bars, I would certainly not be one to discount your learned experience as you will surely be spending most of your time conversing with ladies (or lads, one must not make too many assumptions these days) who come from primarily rural backgrounds so you'll have your finger on the pulse of the nation. Of course, I only speak of your evening gambols, no doubt you're communing with the rich and powerful during the day, making deals, helping bring the noble savages the benefit of your incredible knowledge and expertise, etc. 

As one of your peers (oh, sorry, how dare I - I meant "as someone who also lived 8 years or so in Thailand in total), I really look forward to seeing what I missed out on and learning how dumb I am. Sure, I may speak, read and write Thai and have worked in the region for 30 years, but what an idiot I must be compared to your excellency. I beseech you to provide me the glorious benefit of your immense wisdom.

Like so many others i note that the OP is far from bright. Doing road works wont scare away tourists and it makes a lot of sense to do it now in the dry season then in the wet season. That is the main and most important reasons.

I am amazed how someone who thinks he is so bright can make such a stupid mistake. Especially as he seems to have lived longer in Thailand and knows all about flooding and the rain season. 

I think he was too upset that he could not get fast enough to his cheap sex.. oh sorry I mean high level entertainment. 

5 minutes ago, JCauto said:

might I suggest that the primary reason for roadworks being scheduled during the tourism high season is that it also, remarkably, coincides with what we call the "dry season", which is the period during which construction becomes much easier and cheaper due to the lack of rains, flooding

True, the flood draining project along beach road started in June 2019 and was/is expected to take 240 days, 2/3 of a year.  There really is no "best time" in this crazy city, but obviously dry season is preferrable for construction work outside and underground.  https://thepattayanews.com/2019/09/09/drainage-system-work-continues-on-beach-road-more-sections-of-road-to-close-to-traffic-soon/

12 hours ago, tabarin said:

A bit touchy this morning are we. A bit upset. Roadworks getting to you are they. Stop being a thai basher and a blithering idiot and try to smile once in a while. Oh yes, and don’t bite each time someone puts the bait out ????

23 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

A bit touchy this morning are we. A bit upset. Roadworks getting to you are they. Stop being a thai basher and a blithering idiot and try to smile once in a while. Oh yes, and don’t bite each time someone puts the bait out ????

Lol

as to other countries doing it in the off season sorry to burst your bubble but construction in Canada is done late spring to fall.

Doing road work in a snow storm is a bitch

16 hours ago, tabarin said:

Really amazes me how stupid they plan things in Thailand as they were also working on beach road in Pattaya.

While there is many months with barely no tourists to do this without disturbing both businesses and tourists too much.

Clearly stupidity is the biggest reason for a decline in tourism. 

Actually not stupid at all. They plan the road work during the dry seasons so they can get the work done without rain mucking up everything.  It's the same in every country, you just notice it more here because in Europe, the UK, Ireland, Australia and the USA we are use to the orange cones coming out during the late spring and last until late fall.  There just doesn't happen to be a 'high' season bringing all the tourist there. 

14 hours ago, varun said:

1) No planning

Absolutely perfect description of thai logic 100% true

13 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

There are some  really sad  sacks  of  excrement  about.

Scheduled infrastructure works  do not have to comply with  the  desire  of  convenience in  many  parts of the  world.  The "Contract"  rules.

No different than if a collapse  in a  sewerage  main or  any such infrastructural need to close  traffic would require  a  street closure. The world  goes on. For everyone. Not individuals.

Also, It's not much fun, or any point digging holes whilst it's pi##ing with rain either. Much more sensible to plan works when it's dry dont you think? ????????

13 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

If you know so much, you would know that tourism isn't declining. What is that drivel about haters hate, spenders spend? You at calling Thai's stupid, makes this you a hater? You could really use that course. As you don't even know what they were doing exactly, how can you value the urgency?

He seems to think everything in Thailand must first and always be about tourism. The primary purpose of the Thai government and its entire population is, in his mind, to cater to his comfort..

Have you ever city planned op? 

Maybe they do that so it does not downpour on them everyday making the process more difficult, expensive and dangerous. 

Maybe also need to straighten out who is stupid in this equation. 

Archived