Powertrippin' immigration Cops at DMK

Mr Dome

15 hours ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

And if a Immigration officer was standing close to it , its also showing disrespect.

Adding to the fact you had money even from another country handled disrespectful also is asking for the same treatment you got.

#1 She wasn't standing nearby. We're talking about a large area and there was nobody to be seen until the actual interview booths.

IO Tom suddenly materialized like the maddest Jack in the box you've ever seen. They've got one way windows in that big office of theirs or cameras.

Sorry, I don't get your 2nd point.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tonray said:

If you do that entering Newark/New York airports these days you will be sent back without much fanfare. I've seen people pull out their phones after being told to put them away once and they get dragged out of line and interrogated....simply follow the rules when attempting to enter a foreign country and you'll have fewer issues.

You can't explain "no ducking" with an example about "no phone use".

There are clear signs that phone use is not allowed while waiting in airport immigration lines pretty much everywhere these days. I've never seen one that says "no ducking (even when you are the only one in the section)".

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wavodavo said:

Are you being sarcastic ??because if you arent the you havent been to Singapore airport They are the most arrogant un-friendly mongrels you could ever get .

The big difference is of course, that at Changi they have immigration processing down. They don't use that zig zag maze at all as they use a better system.

The IO's there are really friendly IMHO but the customs agents obviously are stricter.

14 hours ago, faraday said:

Perhaps being contrite would have helped?

Before being contrite, you must at first understand what has happened. In the beginning, none of the ladies explained why. It took a while to get to the point.

And then how would it have helped? They weren't going to rip up the form and not ask to see my ticket and my cash.

At the very end, I went back and told IO Tom I wasn't going to do it again (no wai-ing involved) while still asking IO # 2 "why is she so angry?". I got a look that I interpreted as "I know, a bit too much / that's just the way she gets sometimes".

13 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Even  when it's annoying to walk all the way, they did that for a particular reason.

And believe me, they always watch you wherever you are at the airport. 

Perhaps they thought that you had something to hide? 

Not at all. No interest in what I had on my person or my bag at all.

I'm sure you are watched. I once read it's highly suspicious to go to the toilet after picking up your luggage from the carousel ... after I had done precisely that at Narita once (they didn't treat me any different at customs though).

Speaking of Narita, the first thing I saw there after arriving there for the very first time, was a guy with his hands up while being body searched by customs guys right there in the open. *Gulp*

11 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Most people wouldn't even consider doing that, the system is there for a reason. 

As you were not the only passengers heading for Immigration, perhaps their concern was that hundreds of others would follow your example (as the two behind you did) with chaos ensuing?

There was nobody behind us either, as most passengers had not arrived yet or gone to the sections you pass before. The whole time I was there, there was never a queue.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Absolutely correct-  this is not a security issue but a line to keep order. Since no one was ahead, there was no real issue.  

The IO's reaction was uncalled for [...]

This incident will be reported on social media and people all over the World will come to the conclusion that Thailand is not a welcoming place.   It will disuade some people not to come.   

OK, since thius is getting serious:

My goals in retelling this experience are the following:

- I want to warn folks not to go under the tape even in a completely empty section.

- #2 and this is a long shot, as I doubt they read this forum (although a fb friend of mine claimed they read "everything" - right,

I would like this to come to the attention of Thai Airport Immigration Police to remain reasonable and open-minded when dealing with foreign visitors. Put education before punishment and do not try to get revenge (we all know you have the power, nobody's doubting this!). The treatment has to fit the "crime". Humiliating people for something minor like this is way out of line and will only discourage people from visiting and make Thailand lose face in the long run.

You can teach a child through punishment but it will not respect you, it will grow up resenting you.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Some posters should be ashamed of themselves, using degrading slurs to refer to certain IOs as "toms" ...

Well, that's the only term I used, so I will answer to that one.

The Thai words "tom" and "dee" are no more derogatory than "farang". There are other words in Thai though, which I would never use. The same goes for the Western term "lesbian".

On 1/5/2020 at 12:32 PM, Nyezhov said:

Pass Security Tape in a Western Airport and you will see what overreaction is......

I did it at London Heathrow last week and the automatic passport gate didn't say a thing ????

• Haha 2

I think much of the issues ‘some’ foreigners encounter when entering the country can be explained by the saying.... ‘familiarity breeds contempt’....

Those working in Immigration and tourist areas are exposed to the full spectrum of visitors, ranging from polite to the downright ignorant and impolite, so its only natural that some may develop a negative attitude to said visitors, not right, but to be expected of human nature. Combine this with a poor education and an attitude bolstered by a uniform and we have the perfect recipe for a ‘power trip’... 

This is not a sign of the general attitudes towards foreigners deteriorating, it's just the consequence of poor training (of the IO’s) and the impact of increased tourist numbers.

There really is no need to dig deeper than that - a basic human failure to tolerate others. 

------

With regards to dipping under the queue ropes / belts - this was just 'the straw that broke the camels back’... and was all that was needed for the Immigration officer to spin off on a power trip. 

I dip these ropes in most places...  If staff can’t be bothered to sensibly adjust the ropes / belts, I can’t be bothered to walk the extra distance !!!... 

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 5:28 PM, Nyezhov said:

Well guess you ran out of neverhavinganissues at this airport ????

A few comments of your on this thread seem to imply you think it acceptable for an Immigration officer (or anyone else in a position of power) to scream and shout at someone else in such a manner.

It's not ok, not ok at all. 

As stated by the Op the queue was 100% empty (no one else there). If the Immigration Officer felt aggrieved by the Ops action of ‘ducking the tape’ she could easily have explained that this is not acceptable and given the Op a chance to apologies... Instead the IO behaved atrociously. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A few comments of your on this thread seem to imply you think it acceptable for an Immigration officer (or anyone else in a position of power) to scream and shout at someone else in such a manner.

It's not ok, not ok at all. 

As stated by the Op the queue was 100% empty (no one else there). If the Immigration Officer felt aggrieved by the Ops action of ‘ducking the tape’ she could easily have explained that this is not acceptable and given the Op a chance to apologies... Instead the IO behaved atrociously. 

Geez how gullible can you possibly get. Its never ever 100 % empty, for starters the OPs Plane just landed and you think that was the only plane? Dozens of planes are constantly landing taking off its a very busy airport !!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, madmen said:

Geez how gullible can you possibly get. Its never ever 100 % empty, for starters the OPs Plane just landed and you think that was the only plane? Dozens of planes are constantly landing taking off its a very busy airport !!

The Op tells a story that it was empty, when this was flagged he clarified that no one else was in the queue, it was 100% empty...

You on the other hand call ‘liar'... that’s up to you. 

I’ve seen 100% empty immigration lines - you can call me a liar too, again, that’s up to you.

Regardless of what happened, the Immigration Officer severely over-reacted... if you don’t think so, that again, is up to you... 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Op tells a story that it was empty, when this was flagged he clarified that no one else was in the queue, it was 100% empty...

You on the other hand call ‘liar'... that’s up to you. 

I’ve seen 100% empty immigration lines - you can call me a liar too, again, that’s up to you.

Regardless of what happened, the Immigration Officer severely over-reacted... if you don’t think so, that again, is up to you... 

What is wrong with people here and the inability to think things through? So Everyonre is constantly crying about waiting for hours in a queue at both airports IN THE MIDDLE of high season some plonker dreams up a bash story and fools instantly buy it lol

Once again for the dummies its HIGH season . Zero chance of being a ghost town . We are internet strangers that could be lying every post but the OP was easy to trip up...to easy in fact

Edited by madmen
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, madmen said:

What is wrong with people here and the inability to think things through? So Everyonre is constantly crying about waiting for hours in a queue at both airports IN THE MIDDLE of high season some plonker dreams up a bash story and fools instantly buy it lol

Once again for the dummies its HIGH season . Zero chance of being a ghost town . We are internet strangers that could be lying every post but the OP was easy to trip up...to easy in fact

Agreed.. the Op ‘could be lying’...  he could have arrived and just made up a story out of thin air to tarnish Thailand on an anonymous webform...  Or he may have just experienced exactly what he wrote and perhaps exaggerated a little. 

Even if the Op exaggerated and the line was half full and the Op ducked under the rope to save walking an extra 10meters, do you think the Immigration Officer was right to scream and shout at him like that?

Or, do you think that the Op is lying about that and the whole story from start to finish is nothing more than make believe? If so, I get why a suspicious mind who thinks everyone else a fool, thinks such. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, madmen said:

Damn that is some seriouse paranoia. The couple that were standing in front of you about 10 feet in front of you , what was the cordial eexchange? hugs maybe?

And the IO went from big fat silly grin to a scowl as soon as he saw your mug and OMG your retirement visa destroyed his day and he was trying to nail you to get you in the back room if he could and then threw the passport in totall disgust

What a load of nonsense lol !!

When an IO sees my retirement extension then thats nearly awlays an instant stamp for me, its a no brainer for them.

Maybe try a new deodorant ?  5555555

And maybe you should learn some manners an not make insulting remark about another member's personal hygiene.

• Like 2

Sounds like the same female IO that sent my pal back to Hong Kong late last  year saying his setv visa was not valid cos he was going to see his girlfriend and therefore not a tourist  . He said she was rude, loud and spoke over a male IO . 

They stamped his passport which he did not understand until back in H/K where the airline said the stamp said insufficient funds but he had 30,000 baht plus on him . Airline said visa was valid , he returned via swampy 1 week later ( another story ) where the IO was polite . He will not use  DMK again if he can help it 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I dont imply anything. My hard drive is full of letters I have written to the bosses of arschehewl public servants. Ever make a cop apologize to you in front of a judge and full courtroom for being a Dick? I have. How satisfying. Shout now, pay later.

Im not doing anyhting wrong dude, so dont be rude to me dude is my motto for life. If I do something out of line, yell away, until I stop.

6 hours ago, Mr Dome said:

Well, that's the only term I used, so I will answer to that one.

The Thai words "tom" and "dee" are no more derogatory than "farang". There are other words in Thai though, which I would never use. The same goes for the Western term "lesbian".

Do you think she treated you the way she did because of her sexuality? Or are you using the

term to look good in front of the cool posters here?

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Mr Dome said:

You can't explain "no ducking" with an example about "no phone use".

There are clear signs that phone use is not allowed while waiting in airport immigration lines pretty much everywhere these days. I've never seen one that says "no ducking (even when you are the only one in the section)".

You gained like,what,30 seconds by ducking instead of zig-zagging? 

You must have been in a real hurry. What do you do while waiting for luggage on the conveyor belt? Check inside the opening for your bag? 

Sounds like the "Soup Nazi" episode from Seinfeld.              "No Stamp For YOU!  "   

Just for the record, many years ago the trick at DMK was to keep going further past the regular lines until you got to the new ones just opening up.   Yes, it is conceivable that the OP could be this lucky and even more so if his flight arrived earlier than expected.      My motivation ?  I always knew that the last Airport bus to downtown BKK was imminent so most of the time I was moving pretty fast to get through that airport (carry-on only).

One thing that did not seem to bother those IOs  was when I removed the cord from it's slot and put the cord back into the slot behind me (as opposed to ducking under them).  Based on this topic, I won't  be doing that anymore at any Thai airport. Yes, my example goes back to the days of (now defunct) Northwest Airlines arriving at DMK but what the OP describes about being the first at an immigration counter has happened to me more than a few times at DMK .

In contrast , there's been no such luck at Suvarnabhumi Airport. Twenty people ahead of me is the best I've done so far.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, madmen said:

I don't know how familiar you are with DMK, but each section before immigration is seperated from the other, they are divided into sub-sections, with each having their own zig zag maze. We had advanced to the very last section. This is only about that sub-section, not about the whole airport, of course.

Your comment does not apply to DMK. That's Don Muang, if you're wondering.

I hope that settles your doubts about my story once and for all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, madmen said:

I thought name-calling was frowned upon here? I never said when it took place in my OP, did I? You are just assuming and you are wrong.

The date is completeley irrelevant to the story but since it leads you up the wrong path, it was back in October.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, shy coconut said:

Do you think she treated you the way she did because of her sexuality? Or are you using the

term to look good in front of the cool posters here?

If you try hard enough, you might be cool one day as well ????

• Haha 1

On 1/5/2020 at 8:34 PM, EricTh said:

The problem with most foreigners in going to Asia is that they know zilch about their culture.

Don't always assume that just because you can do it in country A, that it is fine to do in country B. Usually, European, American and Australian culture is considered the same.

From what I found out, Asian culture are quite different.

1. Do not cross Zebra crossing when there is a car coming, they won't stop for you. Wait for cars to pass first before crossing.

2. Do not disrespect the Buddha statues or the temples by wearing indecent clothing such as shorts or revealing dresses.

3. Don't write graffiti on public property. There is one foreigner who is behind bars for doing that.

4. Thailand is not the land of 'smiles' as painted in western media. The immigration and government can be quite strict and rude. I have dealt with many government officers (car registration, immigration, income tax etc) and these people can be quite rude with not a single smile.

So now you know the reality.

Do you mean exercise common sense? 

And I defy you to explain what anything you have cited has to do with clearing immigration save point 4. 

• Confused 1