Pattaya tries again to make drivers stop for pedestrians

Rimmer

For anyone reading this that has never been to Pattaya - PLEASE don't count on being safe in a crosswalk.  LOL

I recall when they first painted these.  There was one on Second road near Soi Diana.  I was waiting for the inevitable time when it would be safe to dash across the road and live while watching a tourist couple.  I really don't know where they were from but it was somewhere that takes zebra crossings very seriously as the man wanted to just stride out into the traffic.  I usually shut my mouth in such instances but I did speak kinda low to the lady who looked terrified "it isn't safe.  Wait for a gap".  

He didn't.  He did get across alive but almost caused a pile up.  One baht bus used it's only functional front left brake to come to a screeching halt.  She looked so relieved to be in the other side.  A minute later I crossed with no excitement.  

• Like 1

They need to put in a barrier system the same as a railway crossing. The pedestrian presses a button when wanting to cross and barriers drop down. Simps innit? As long as Thais remain selfish people, thinking only of themselves, nothing will change.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

Only one thing work, light goes red tyre spikes pop up. Next thing open a tyre store near pedestrian crossing.

????????????

Saw this in Mexico ( not the tire store ) Worked like a charm. Also saw flexible spikes installed at about a 35 degree angle on one way streets. You drive one way...the correct way...no pronplen. You drive against the traffic, the improper way.....ZINNNG go yer tires.

• Like 1

They are only genuine about this; after they switch on the pedestrian lights again, and enforce them...  

It' a good effect, put on one'side loudest parade ground voice; and roar at the 'Orrible little man'  because other traffic following makes it hard for them to brake and respond to your face... 

... did have one though - tried to do a sweeping u turn within the multi one way lanes... quite entertaining! 

11 hours ago, tinca tinca said:

thais WILL NOT STOP for anyone crossing a zebra crossing... THEY HAVE NOT BEEN EDUCATED to the fact that people have the RIGHT to cross in safety....and is LAW to stop and let them cross....!!!

This has been claimed before regarding Thai traffic law and whether it states that drivers must give way to pedestrians at zebra crossings.

If you can find the section that clearly states this, I'd be interested to see it, as so far I haven't managed to find anything.

• Like 1

You would first need to teach Thais compassion for humans. You would also need to put every Thai back in kindergarten so they can learn to share the road. For f^&is sake, the only things you need to do to get out of kindergarten are to be able to SHARE, and to snap Graham Crackers into equal pieces.

I'm sure Thais can be taught about the Graham Crackers....the sharing part? No way.

• Like 1