Pattaya tries again to make drivers stop for pedestrians

Rimmer

2 minutes ago, mberbae said:

Simple solution , Actually.

Post a LARGE sign declaring a 5,000 Baht

fine for NOT stopping for pedestrians. Then, Place a few policemen a few

meters past the sign and pull over Any motorist not stopping  - be it

car or motorcyclist. Police coffers go up to cover the cost of the police actually

doing their job.

It will never happen - but there is your solution.

That could work as the only police I see are the ones doing the "motorcycle driver checks" on the second road just past Terminal 21, just past soi diana on second road,  and past the 3rd road overpass in south pattaya.  The police could just set up next to major crosswalks instead and "kill 2 birds with one stone" as it were and double the number of fines collected.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Asquith Production said:

Well you havent been to the UK then. Once a pedestrian steps on a crossing either controlled by lights or not they have right of way.

That may be so, but assuming that's the law in every country is a good way to get killed.

• Thanks 1

In Ca, OR and other states, if it is the intent of the pedestrian to cross, the driver must yield both sides unless there is a medium present....the driver Doesn’t have to be in the crosswalk already...Oregon has done a good job in non signal crossings to add signs, lights and activation to bring attention to drivers where crosswalks exist away from intersections...

thai drivers must be educated first on any pedestrian has the right away not just in Signal crossings but scenarios like courtesy practices in shopping centers or back alleys...it carries over once drivers learned pedestrians (and bikes) must be respected and have right a way in certain situations 

2 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

authorities call the driver "careless", when in fact their behavior is "criminal" and should be publicly called as such.

According to Greta Thunberg, driving an internal combustion vehicle is criminal.  ????

Close 2nd road and beach road to all vehicles, the soon to be electric Tram will solve all problems!  http://aboutthailandliving.com/2019/01/03/tram-pattaya/

4 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

thai drivers must be educated first on any pedestrian has the right away not just in Signal crossings but scenarios like courtesy practices in shopping centers or back alleys...it carries over once drivers learned pedestrians (and bikes) must be respected and have right a way in certain situations 

You're assuming that's the law... 

And in order for that law to make any sense, there has to be a culture that keeps the pedestrians from abusing the rules and bringing traffic to a standstill.  As I've indicated before, I have seen kids in California deliberately crossing back and forth just to stop traffic.  There's a lot of intersections in Thailand where the throngs of pedestrians would go on for hours and hours and the cars would never move.

• Haha 1

Jomtien Beach now has elevated "humps" to indicate pedestrian crossings. They have become a challenge for many motorbike riders to speed up and see if they can "catch some air" off these humps in the road.

Pedestrians ? They are just LOWLIFE's, Untouchables as they are called in India,  who can't afford a motorbike or car. They have no "rights" ...... ???? 

• Like 1

It’s their own fault when the crossing lights were introduced the Thais tended to heed the lights and stopped but the police turned them off clamming it slowed the traffic and they stayed green all the time. (Or they just stopped working all together and didn’t fix them) So the drivers were accepting them and stopping but it lost its momentum of learning when they only worked erratically. Buy the way I found they don’t stop in France as well.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

This isn't the UK.

Correct but I was replying to what impulse said quote In most of the places I've lived and traveled, zebra crossings simply mean it's legal for pedestrians to cross there.  They don't convey any right of way.  Better that you read all before commenting.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, sometime said:

It should read

Pattaya tries again to make Thai drivers stop for pedestrians

Actually it should read:

Pattaya tries again (and fails miserably) to make Thai drivers stop for pedestrians

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kentrot said:

Jomtien Beach now has elevated "humps" to indicate pedestrian crossings. They have become a challenge for many motorbike riders to speed up and see if they can "catch some air" off these humps in the road.

Pedestrians ? They are just LOWLIFE's, Untouchables as they are called in India,  who can't afford a motorbike or car. They have no "rights" ...... ???? 

The original Jomtien speed bumps were so high that the buses were getting stuck on them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

This has been claimed before regarding Thai traffic law and whether it states that drivers must give way to pedestrians at zebra crossings.

If you can find the section that clearly states this, I'd be interested to see it, as so far I haven't managed to find anything.

I haven't been able to find the relevant section but much is missed out in the English translations.

I've found this on many sites, including some 'legal/law firm' sites:

According to Thai law, drivers are liable to a maximum fine of Bt1,000 if they fail to stop their vehicles for pedestrians at marked crossings. In the events of a road accident taking place, drivers involved must compensate victims or their families. In the case of death, reckless drivers are liable to up to 10 years in jail and a fine of up to Bt20,000. 
In the event of serious injuries, reckless drivers are liable to up to three years in jail and/or a maximum fine of Bt6,000.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only thing most people understand are fines. But 500 baht fine hardly deters anyone. It should be a lesson, not a convenience tax. Driving down the one way street the wrong way to avoid detour and save time, risking 500 baht fine is a convenience fee. It doesn't really discourage it. What would discourage it is fines that wipe half a year of income.

Fines in Thailand are reminding me of a joke... A guy visits his friend who works as a security guard at a park and notices a sign - NO WALKING ON THE GRASS, FINE 5 BAHT. So he said to friend, this fine won't discourage anyone, he should increase the fine to 500 baht at least... to which friend responds: Are you mad? Then nobody will walk on the grass!!

And that's the core of the problem. Fines are not there to discourage anything. They are meant to fill police coffers. That's why they are deliberately low to be a convenience tax rather than a deterrent.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, impulse said:

In most of the places I've lived and traveled, zebra crossings simply mean it's legal for pedestrians to cross there.  They don't convey any right of way.  The red light does that.

Other places, like California, drivers do have to stop for pedestrians already in the crosswalk.

If you always had to yield to pedestrians in a zebra crossing, these cars would never move...

pedestrian-crossing.jpg

Haha.  This has actually become tourist 'must see' in Tokyo.

Only in Japan!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Moreover, the drivers must observe warning signs and immediately slow down or stop the vehicle when seeing pedestrians crossing the street within 50-100 meters for safety.”

Or what?  Is there any penalty?  Any law?  Any enforcement?

Having been driving for well over 50 years in Western countries and in Europe I understand that the proper thing to do is to stop for pedestrians attempting to cross the roads.  For me it is the most natural thing to do.  But, in Thailand stopping for a pedestrian is very dangerous for several reasons.

1.  The chance you will be hit from behind by the idiot who was following too close anyway and has no clue as to why you are           stopping.

2.  Especially tourists may step into the path of oncoming traffic as in their home country all drivers stop for pedestrians.

3. The pedestrian gets a false sense of security because you have stopped and then he/she possibly steps into the path of a             motorbike, car or truck that is passing your stopped car usually at a high speed on either the right or left side.

In my years of driving I have never before seen the lack of courtesy, lack of caring for ones own safety and the safety of others and the inability or unwillingness to accept responsibility when their actions cause and accident, injury or even death on Thai roads. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, kentrot said:

Thats me, and to be truthful, as a foreigner living here I don't expect many natural "rights".  Its all a game, Thais trying to see how much they can get from the foreign invaders of their once peaceful, simple, and happy country.  And foreigners feeling they are superior to the Thais and claiming entitlement because they are spending 60K baht a month here and were educated in the West.  IMO of course ????

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Haha.  This has actually become tourist 'must see' in Tokyo.

Only in Japan!

Maybe...  But I chose one of over a dozen photos of similarly marked intersections when I did a Google image search for "zebra crossing"  From Korea, the USA, UK, and other countries.

That image was my favorite, though.

Edit:  Clicked through some of the links and read about people dancing, skipping, sauntering and scooting across the zebras.  It is a thing.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

It's an absolute rule in the UK. If a pedestrian is stood at a zebra crossing, you must stop.

Cars still move.

My wife was stunned when in the UK and the first, or certainly the second car stopped to let her cross. Every time. But that's because in the UK it's You First and in Thailand it's Me First.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My wife was stunned when in the UK and the first, or certainly the second car stopped to let her cross. Every time. But that's because in the UK it's You First and in Thailand it's Me First.

same goes for Thai wife in OZ...  Sydney drivers are an exception to the rule though

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It's because there are severe penalties in the UK for not observing the rule, which is vigourously enforced.

• Like 1

How about we just leave things as they are and have been, pedestrians cross when safe to do so and cars don't stop for pedestrians except to avoid injuries. How about that, can we please stop trying to enforce western standards upon Thailand.

I arrived back in San Diego and jwalk as I would here. Walk out to little concrete divider and wait for other traffic to pass but the cars come to a screeching halt JHC come on people, just drive, I can see you....just drive and when it's safe I'll cross.

I think about Thai driving habits daily while driving on the roads. I come to the same conclusion everytime: Drivers in Thailand do not respect right of way in any manner or form. Courteous driving does exist, but it is by far the exception, not the rule.

Until there is a drastic change in Thai driving culture, this problem will only grow, especially as more cars, trucks, and cycles come on the roads. We all know improvement in traffic safety involves, education, and consistent law enforcement.

I think the only way this will realistically change is if new technology develops through 5G, driverless cars, etc. and we know how long that will take.

Edited by jingjai9