Pattaya tries again to make drivers stop for pedestrians

Rimmer

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

They are removed as a fuel saving measure..... save the world... it isn't all about plastic bags!

If only you were joking. I watched someone take the bulb out of a new bike and that's exactly what they told me (via my wife). Unbelievable!. At least some bikes now have LEDs to the rear but I expect they'll find a way of disconnecting them.

4 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

It's an absolute rule in the UK. If a pedestrian is stood at a zebra crossing, you must stop.

Cars still move.

Same in Finland. Even if there is no car within 100 km people wait for green and same goes for cars. Hellsinki is getting a little <deleted>ty in this respect now but elsewhere things work.

IF there is a non corrupt police force and WILL to do this it can be done. In Thailand? No way.

I think it's really bad even mention this (specially to tourists) to give people false security. They will get maimed or killed for sure when trying this out. Not forgetting those speeding motorcycles that pass through even car is stopped...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tinca tinca said:

thais WILL NOT STOP for anyone crossing a zebra crossing... THEY HAVE NOT BEEN EDUCATED to the fact that people have the RIGHT to cross in safety....and is LAW to stop and let them cross....!!!

Go have a look at other countries, eg: Singapore, Australia, America,  THAILAND IS NOT A WORLD LEADER! NO OTHER COUNTRY FOLLOWS THAILAND!,

1 hour ago, reargunnerph3 said:

The original Jomtien speed bumps were so high that the buses were getting stuck on them. 

Initially they had this problem in the UK but instead of having one big wide hump they put two side by side humps, one in each lane, that the bus could straddle but a car couldn't. It works.

Image result for road with double bus humps

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Rimmer said:

“Moreover, the drivers must observe warning signs and immediately slow down or stop the vehicle when seeing pedestrians crossing the street within 50-100 meters for safety.”

They don't look that far ahead when driving at 160kph on the expressway!  That "50-100 metres" is a complete non-starter.

The only thing that will solve the problem is bollards that raise from the ground when the lights are turning to red.

• Like 1

good luck in pattaya in trying to make it work.they are more interested in the helmet stop come license stop by the police station.no license please pay over there thks alot good for 7 days.the zebra crossing is not on there top ten list

Edited by bristolgeoff

41 minutes ago, FinChin67 said:

I think it's really bad even mention this (specially to tourists) to give people false security. They will get maimed or killed for sure when trying this out. Not forgetting those speeding motorcycles that pass through even car is stopped...

As a car driver in Thailand, I do observe the rules that I have been brought up with and stop at crossings. Invariably, one or more mototcyclists don't stop and come up my inside, narrowly missing the pedestrian I'm allowing to cross. Answer, remove all pedestrian crossings in Thailand. Pedestrian crossings, in Thailand, are a hazard.

Edited by DannyCarlton
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

As a car driver in Thailand, I do observe the rules that I have been brought up with and stop at crossings. Invariably, one or more mototcyclists don't stop and come up my inside, narrowly missing the pedestrian I'm allowing to cross. Answer, remove all pedestrian crossings in Thailand. Pedestrian crossings, in Thailand, are a hazard.

I'd go further.  Remove all traffic signs, road markings and the like.  They're a waste of paint and money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Skallywag said:

According to Greta Thunberg, driving an internal combustion vehicle is criminal.  ????

Close 2nd road and beach road to all vehicles, the soon to be electric Tram will solve all problems!  http://aboutthailandliving.com/2019/01/03/tram-pattaya/

I think you’re on to something here. Pattaya is one of just a handful of places in Thailand where you’ll find a significant number of pedestrians. Whatever the Thais think their legs are for, it’s not walking... 

Making Beach Road. 2nd road and Soi Buakhao walking streets will probably have a positive effect on tourism. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

Haha.  This has actually become tourist 'must see' in Tokyo.

Only in Japan!

Yes but this crossing is regulated by traffic lights. And they all become red at the same time to allow pedestrians to cross in all directions. I guess it’s part of the solution for the pedestrian issue at crossings where cars are allow to turn left on red. (Turn right in US etc)

This left-turn-on-red in Thailand is why you can never safely cross a street near a crossing. 

12 minutes ago, androokery said:

I think you’re on to something here. Pattaya is one of just a handful of places in Thailand where you’ll find a significant number of pedestrians. Whatever the Thais think their legs are for, it’s not walking... 

Making Beach Road. 2nd road and Soi Buakhao walking streets will probably have a positive effect on tourism. 

Mine neither, have you ever tried walking the length of 2nd road? I could agree with making Soi Buakhao one way traffic and making business owners clear the pavements of their junk.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, impulse said:

In most of the places I've lived and traveled, zebra crossings simply mean it's legal for pedestrians to cross there.  They don't convey any right of way.  The red light does that.

Other places, like California, drivers do have to stop for pedestrians already in the crosswalk.

If you always had to yield to pedestrians in a zebra crossing, these cars would never move...

pedestrian-crossing.jpg

Go to Europe and you will find that pedestrians have right of way on Zebra crossings. It took me a while to understand that I don't have to wait for the car to pass but the car or bus will actually stop for me to cross.

However, bicycles behave the way motor bikes do in Thailand. 

Edited by Letseng
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, tinca tinca said:

thais WILL NOT STOP for anyone crossing a zebra crossing... THEY HAVE NOT BEEN EDUCATED to the fact that people have the RIGHT to cross in safety....and is LAW to stop and let them cross....!!!

The law does not require drivers to stop and let pedestrians cross at a pedestrian crossing.

In the photo shown in the news article, the law requires drivers to stop at a red traffic light and wait until the light changes to green.