Pattaya tries again to make drivers stop for pedestrians

Rimmer

21 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

they would do the same even if educated

I don't agree. I've see Westerners in Chiang Mai and Phuket breaking all the same rules of the road that Thais do. In the UK, I have seen no evidence nor heard that Thais, of which there are a number, break road rules any more than us English.

It's all about enforcement.

• Like 2

In pattaya a good idea would be speed bumps at each zebra crossing. Make them full width so no gaps at each end to allow the f-wits on bikes to get around them. Small and high enough to make it difficult for the lowered noisy pick ups to get through etc. 

It all boils to some kinds of people you can tell a mile away but you can't tell them anything close up.

Making a new rule because people don't obey the old rule doesn't fly.

Beach road and second road should have speed bumps every 50 metres and I don't mean 2 inches high, I mean 6 inches at least. After a few front suspensions get effed and lowered noisy pick up exhausts get ripped off some people might get the idea.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, paulikens said:

having a laugh. they don't give way or let anybody cross ever and never will. no manners. they don't even know what to do if you give way to them,there so shocked and its never happened to em they just stare at ya,so eventually I drive on cuz they do nothing

Carry raw eggs! Throw them at cars! For motorbikes I have a somewhat more drastic solution.

11 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I am against zebra crossings in any country, pedestrian crossings should all have lights, should be regularly checked, and repaired immediately if they develop a fault.

Nonsense, where I live every body stops on a Zebra (Pedestrian crossing) light or not.

Get caught by the cops not stopping you in for a hefty fine.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, blookhead57 said:

It’s their own fault when the crossing lights were introduced the Thais tended to heed the lights and stopped but the police turned them off clamming it slowed the traffic and they stayed green all the time.

There was the other issue of some jobsworths feeling they had a right to stop traffic while their herd of Chinese crossed from the coach parking... never ever making use of the crossing lights. 

Traffic has a right to move too.

7 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

Nonsense, where I live every body stops on a Zebra (Pedestrian crossing) light or not.

Get caught by the cops not stopping you in for a hefty fine.

It is not nonsense, it would cut down a lot of accidents, although the lights would need to be kept working, not like the ones in Beach Road Pattaya.

"Get caught by the cops not stopping you in for a hefty fine." Is this in Thailand??????

and of course this is the typical view a bike rider sees, when travelling against the traffic flow - NO lights  

if no see lights, no worries!

image.png.9599b1bf4dcae4ec05b95e5abbcbd18a.png 

(that no lights are working is a moot point, for this Post) 

On 1/5/2020 at 4:25 PM, NanLaew said:

The cars, buses and songtaews generally aren't the danger here. It's the 2-wheelers blowing down the gaps between stopped vehicles that need special ed.

They too are dangerous. True. 

12 hours ago, tifino said:

and of course this is the typical view a bike rider sees, when travelling against the traffic flow - NO lights  

if no see lights, no worries!

image.png.9599b1bf4dcae4ec05b95e5abbcbd18a.png 

(that no lights are working is a moot point, for this Post) 

Bike riders here see or don't see lights??? 9 times out of 10 they don't even see brake lights on the car in front ( if they're working ???? ).

Anyway if they do sometimes see brake lights in front the first reaction is not to slow down but to go around the vehicle in front.

On 1/6/2020 at 1:12 AM, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

Only one thing work, light goes red tyre spikes pop up. Next thing open a tyre store near pedestrian crossing.

????????????

Well, that has certainly made my day.

On 1/7/2020 at 11:00 PM, Awinkl said:

I returned recently back to Oz, after an extended stay in LOS and now, I find myself so surprised when I even "just approach" a Zebra Crossing (even without lights) ... Cars already stop  ... when they see me approaching the Crossing!!!!

What a (pleasant) difference .... ????????

Thailand will always be a 3rd World backwater until then.

• Sad 1

Why not enforce the traffic laws? I mean not only selected, I mean all of them.

E.g. look at other countries. Germany has cameras, which take pictures and an automated computer system

send the tickets. No police to bribe etc. Red traffic lights mean Stop, if you don't care your driving license will

be suspended for one or two month. Very easy, it it would require a real interest in law enforcement.

Right now Thailand is too busy in hunting foreigners with overstay, insteed of going after dangerous drivers, who 

kill ten thousends per year.

It is not difficult.  Put up cameras on the main zebra crossings.  Fine every vehicle that does not stop and add points to the licence.  After a few months they will all get the idea and be careful.. or else loose the driving licence and be off the road.

On 1/5/2020 at 9:49 PM, flyingtlger said:

This will work ONLY if they had cops at intersections fining vehicles that do not stop when the light is red. Once the cops realize how much $$ they can make, it'll be a win-win situation....

yeah, without penalty and actions, nothing will change.  The Thai mentality certainly will not change, but if faced with paying their actions may, may change a little

19 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

It is not difficult.  Put up cameras on the main zebra crossings.  Fine every vehicle that does not stop and add points to the licence.  After a few months they will all get the idea and be careful.. or else loose the driving licence and be off the road.

It is all very well except

1) They don't really use 'zebra' crossings here.

2) Many drive without a licence anyhow. 

3) They are completely inept at keeping cameras working, as per the CCTV being 75% U/S.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 6:54 AM, jacko45k said:

There was the other issue of some jobsworths feeling they had a right to stop traffic while their herd of Chinese crossed from the coach parking... never ever making use of the crossing lights. 

Traffic has a right to move too.

but zebras are there solely for safe crossing of pedestrians....and drivers MUST give way to any person walking on them....IT IS THE LAW!!!