BANGKOK
Formaleins

Best Options for quick travel to UK?

Posted (edited)

Wonder if anyone has any suggestions here - My mother has been diagnosed with a pretty nasty cancer and I need to get back to the UK in the next couple of weeks. However, she is wanting to see her grandson - He is a Thai citizen with a VALID Thai passport, but he also has British Citizenship and holds an EXPIRED British Passport.

Any ideas as which is the easiest way for him to travel? and as fast as possible?

I thought that travelling out on the expired UK passport might be an option, some say you can do this others say you cannot. How about an Emergency Passport from the UK Embassy in Bangkok? Getting a new UK passport will take more than 2 weeks so really is not an option - Is there an express visa service where he could get a UK visa in his Thai passport by showing the expired UK passport and UK birth certificate?

Any suggestions appreciated, we need to do this as fast as possible. Cheers! (We are up North and travelling to Bangkok is a day each way so it is not exactly that easy)

Edited by Formaleins

You can't travel out on expired foreign passport. He has to leave (and enter back in Thailand) on his Thai passport.

I don't know what the UK would do if you show up with an expired UK passport.

3 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

You can't travel out on expired foreign passport. He has to leave (and enter back in Thailand) on his Thai passport.

I don't know what the UK would do if you show up with an expired UK passport.

See this is not what I am being told, many people are saying he can EXIT Thailand on an EXPIRED UK Passport - which kind of makes sense in a way as it is still proof of ID. Br interested to hear a few more comments on this as it seems like our easiest option, but probably the most awkward.

4 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

See this is not what I am being told, many people are saying he can EXIT Thailand on an EXPIRED UK Passport - which kind of makes sense in a way as it is still proof of ID. Br interested to hear a few more comments on this as it seems like our easiest option, but probably the most awkward.

You need a valid travel document to leave the country. He could enter Thailand on an expired Thai passport as he is a citizen.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

You need a valid travel document to leave the country. He could enter Thailand on an expired Thai passport as he is a citizen.

OK thanks! But then by same logic, he could enter the UK on an expired UK passport? It is the bit at the airport that is confusing - his Thai passport is VALID but has no UK Visa, but if he could check in with the counter staff using the expired UK passport, then as far as Thai immigration goes they will let him leave using his valid Thai passport - After that I don't give a toss, I will fight the jobsworth <deleted>s in the UK once I get there, they are not the problem.

Edited by Formaleins

Just now, Salerno said:

Leave on Thai passport; show expired UK on arrival (citizens aren't refused entry due to an expired passport).

BUT

The issue is the airline might not let you on. Best bet, call the embassy and ask for an emergency travel permit.

I found this online - ""If you want to enter the UK as a British citizen and you have an expired UK passport, your case is covered by Paragraph 12 of the Immigration Rules... ... If you want to enter the UK as a British citizen, you need to show them a UK passport. There is no stipulation in the rule that says the passport must be current." - The major factor is getting the airline to accept it!

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Your Son has to depart Thailand on the same passport he entered on. 

Thus, if he entered Thailand on his Thai passport, he has to leave on his Thai Passport. 

If your Son has never left Thailand, he should depart on his Thai Passport. 

One issue to consider is the Airline Check-In process: 

If you are presenting your sons Thai Passport at the Airline Check-In, he will need a Visa. 

If you are presenting your sons expired UK passport, this may raise issues with the Airline who may refuse your travel.

Thus, whether or not your son can enter the UK with an expired British passport may be a moot point. 

In your shoes I would be calling the British Embassy to secure a valid travel document for your son.

https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document

On this link it states that you should apply for an Emergency travel document if all of the following apply: 

You can apply for an emergency travel document if all the following apply:

- you’re a British national

- you’re outside the UK

- your passport has been lost, stolen, damaged, is full, has recently expired or is with HM Passport Office or a foreign embassy

- you do not have time to renew or replace your passport before you travel

- you can provide proof of your travel plans, for example booking confirmations (or detailed written travel plans if you cannot book ahead)

Thanks, I understand what you are saying, makes sense.

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

No country will refuse entry to it's own citizen due to that persons home country passport being expired.

The OP's kid departs Thailand on the Thai passport, enters the UK on the expired British one.

The OP can get a new UK passport for the kid while he's home in the UK.

Then re-enter Thailand on the Thai passport.

The airline won't question it especially if they are the point-to-point carrier. They know these rules. If the OP is doing low-cost with third-country stopovers and/or carrier changes, problems may arise. However, European airports have proper airside transit so no need for anyone to get upset if you aren't trying to actually enter that third country, ie, pass their immigration.

Good luck.

Cheers, I will probably apply for the emergency travel document - the one that costs 100 Quid as it seems the safest route to go - However, once in the UK we will renew he British passport locally so we end up evenly ripped off from our home country in the end.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Formaleins said:

Is there an express visa service where he could get a UK visa in his Thai passport by showing the expired UK passport and UK birth certificate?

Visas cannot and will not be issued to British Citizens. A visa places restrictions on the recipient, and a British Citizen cannot be restricted in this way.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Formaleins said:

OK thanks! But then by same logic, he could enter the UK on an expired UK passport? It is the bit at the airport that is confusing - his Thai passport is VALID but has no UK Visa, but if he could check in with the counter staff using the expired UK passport, then as far as Thai immigration goes they will let him leave using his valid Thai passport - After that I don't give a toss, I will fight the jobsworth <deleted>s in the UK once I get there, they are not the problem.

Like others said and which sounds very logical to me, he could enter the UK on an expired UK passport as he is a citizen. So leave Thailand on the Thai passport, enter UK on expired UK one. Leave UK on a new UK passport and enter Thailand on the Thai passport. 

Edited by FritsSikkink