Best Options for quick travel to UK?

9 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

I’m not going to argue with you, you’re clearly more knowledgeable than me and it’s not going to help the op, so I’m going to leave it there.

Save to say that the fact remains a UK National cannot be issued with a UK Visa even if he’s a duel national, so you’re wrong in your belief.

The other fact is that he has a valid travel document which enables him to travel to the UK Border and evidence of his UK nationality which proves he is not subject to Immigration Controls, and will be landed.

I have stopped as well.

What would be very helpful though, for future reference, is if the OP asks and verifies your position when he gets to the British Embassy.

OP can you ask and report back here on TV, whether your kid would have been allowed to travel on a Thai passport without a visa because he has dual nationality and possesses an expired UK passport?

Then everybody will know without question or doubt. If I am wrong, it will be good to know for the future and I will stand corrected.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for being late, but from personal experience, I will tell you, the biggest hurdle is the airline check-in counter.

They are quite worried about the expense of returning anybody to country of origin if denied entry, and therefore, are quite strict about checking for valid visas.

So, how many cases like this do they see? 

A kid with no visa in his Thai passport, and an expired UK passport.

Do they know that an expired UK passport guarantees entry onto British soil, well, no, because they have no experience with this situation before.

So, at the very least, there will be a debate between check-in staff and a duty manager, who may also be clueless, and there is a good chance the kid will be denied boarding.

Get the Emergency Travel Document.

^ Or rather, inquire about getting the ETD and on being advised that it isn't required, travel as advised earlier. Depart and re-enter Thailand on the valid Thai passport (that does not need a UK visa because the accompanying, expired UK passport removes that requirement) while easily entering the UK on the expired UK one and departing on the new UK one.

End of.

8 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

Do they know that an expired UK passport guarantees entry onto British soil, well, no, because they have no experience with this situation before.

I suspect you're just guessing, or do you know this for a fact?

Are you aware that the UKBA has a network of Immigration Liason Managers around the globe who will give advice to airline staff in such circumstances?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/passenger-documents-help-for-carriers-to-reduce-charges/passenger-documents-get-help-to-reduce-your-charges

On 1/5/2020 at 9:21 PM, Formaleins said:

I thought that travelling out on the expired UK passport might be an option, some say you can do this others say you cannot.

You can--I have.

But you must be going direct to UK..I mean its OK for plane to refuel etc. but you can not have a stay over (clear customs) or anything.

But if your child has a Thai passport also---why not just use it to depart.

Archived