oceans rising

habuspasha

20 minutes ago, timendres said:

One more reason to not purchase property in Thailand.

The main reason is that you cant buy land anyway. Just cheap made condos. You buy those to save on rent if you think thats a good financial decision. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps you meant sea level rise along coast lines is but one impact for those that use it to bolster climate alarmist claims.

In NZ the sea level has NOT risen enough to be significant in the past 60 years. It is apparently rising at less than 3 mm a year, and I can't see any difference in my lifetime.

So, unless one claims that sea level is rising significantly in one part of the Pacific, while not rising in others, the claim that sea level rise is a clear and present danger is, IMO, a nonsense.

maybe NZ is itself rising on a volcanic bubble?

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, timendres said:

One more reason to not purchase property in Thailand.

Being as anything anti global warming is  being removed ask the Chinese  why they are  buying up condos  like  no one else in Bangkok

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, fruitman said:

Plus the last flooding came from the river, not from the sea.

The flooding came from the high river flow coinciding with sea water flowing up the river due to the exceptionally high tide. The sea level has been rising and the land sinking.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2020 at 5:16 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

More likely a tectonic plate, but to say that it is rising at exactly the same rate as the sea is rising is a theory too far.

IMO the islands that are said to be sinking in the Pacific MAY be on a sinking tectonic plate.

BTW, only the north island is volcanic, so if it was a volcanic bubble the islands would be rising at a different rate, but they ain't.

That is interesting. I lived in Paraparaumu and worked in Wellington for 3 years and didn’t realise the South Island was not volcanic. Very beautiful though, as is the North. Plenty of shakes in Wellington and Paraparaumu though ???? 

1 hour ago, allanos said:

Climate change is a natural event, occurring over millions of years

The only thing missing with the ongoing changes are the "millions".

I have seen the climate change during my lifetime, including during the short period of 20 years I have spent in Thailand.

If plate tectonic was occuring at the same pace (which is more or less supposed to be the case) we wouldn't be able to stand on our feet...and there wouldn't be any condos for the Chinese to buy, in Bangkok or anywhere else...

• Haha 1

On 1/5/2020 at 11:28 PM, Gecko123 said:

Climate change is already a significant factor influencing location decisions all over the world. Sea level rise along coast lines is but one impact. The agricultural sector will be impacted due to drought, more extreme weather events, ground water depletion, and invasive agricultural pests. Thailand's tourism sector, highly dependent on its beaches and coastal cities to attract visitors, will be Impacted. Its fisheries will be impacted due to rising and warming oceans. The cost of living will be impacted due to rising food production costs. Wildfire risk is already heightened - just look at what's going on in Australia. All of the above will put ever more stress on Thailand's social fabric.

I anticipate that there will be some in climate change denial who will dismiss and attempt to ridicule the OP's concerns, but in my opinion, the OP would be foolish not to carefully evaluate potential impact of climate change when making a real estate purchase decision.

Investment on Maldives Islands I would not recommend...... ????