BANGKOK
habuspasha

oceans rising

On 1/6/2020 at 3:51 PM, samuttodd said:

the climate has been hotter and colder than it is today.

The same thing that is happening on other planets in our solar system is happening here.  Climate catastrophes and increases of storms.     The sun and it's cycles is the main driver of these cyclic changes.  

The earth has gone through glacier and inter-glacial periods for millions of years.  The orbit around the sun changes also the rotation of the earth is like a top and it wobbles changing temperatures.  Volcanoes emit far far far more carbon dioxide than all of human activities.  

Glaciers.JPG

Orbit.JPG

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

I have seen the climate change during my lifetime, including during the short period of 20 years I have spent in Thailand.

Climate change or weather change? 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

The only thing missing with the ongoing changes are the "millions".

I have seen the climate change during my lifetime, including during the short period of 20 years I have spent in Thailand.

If plate tectonic was occuring at the same pace (which is more or less supposed to be the case) we wouldn't be able to stand on our feet...and there wouldn't be any condos for the Chinese to buy, in Bangkok or anywhere else...

No, you have not seen climate change! Twenty years is a far too small time period to observe it. It needs thousands of years at the very least. What you have witnessed is a changing weather pattern, perhaps, which has nothing whatsoever to do with climate change.

• Like 2

On 1/5/2020 at 7:54 PM, habuspasha said:

I don't consider climate central to be wildly alarmist.  I think they are conservative since they don't try to factor in such scenarios as arctic and antarctic glacial melt or other tipping events. Nor do I think a 30 year projection suddenly occurs on the last day of the 29th year.  I welcome your thoughts.

I was offered a mountain top, more than 500 meter above sea level, on the island I live in Golf of Thailand; I however ended up with a beachfront land, which I don't regret.

And should the sea level rise by a foot or so in 2050 it just mean, that the beach terrasse would be a little more wet during a high tide monsoon-storm, and I would enjoy being 100 years old when sitting in my study watching the weather, and posting about it to the Thaivisa forum readers, reporting that it's just like when the worst storm in some 50 years, the storm Pabuk passed by in 2019, not at all as bad as predicted...🙂

You should read (among others) these article, if you worry about sea levels and flooding...

"Humans Can Survive Underwater"

and

"Examining the Latest False Alarm on Climate"

• Like 2

On 1/6/2020 at 5:28 AM, Gecko123 said:

Climate change is already a significant factor influencing location decisions all over the world. Sea level rise along coast lines is but one impact. The agricultural sector will be impacted due to drought, more extreme weather events, ground water depletion, and invasive agricultural pests. Thailand's tourism sector, highly dependent on its beaches and coastal cities to attract visitors, will be Impacted. Its fisheries will be impacted due to rising and warming oceans. The cost of living will be impacted due to rising food production costs. Wildfire risk is already heightened - just look at what's going on in Australia. All of the above will put ever more stress on Thailand's social fabric.

"The sky is falling": chicken little

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2020 at 5:32 PM, tifino said:

maybe NZ is itself rising on a volcanic bubble?

Or as a result of the last Ice Age, the same as Australia.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fruitman said:

Plus the last flooding came from the river, not from the sea.

..and why did the flood come from the river?   Rising sea level and storm surge prevented the flow into the ocean.. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

..and why did the flood come from the river?   Rising sea level and storm surge prevented the flow into the ocean.. 

Because it came from Chiang mai, was easy to see on satellite images....

Many military organizations and seaside councils world-wide are doing risk assessments on the effect sea level rises will have on their areas of responsibility. And they are not usually alarmist.

Most of the forecasts are highly conservative, and based on linear trends. A Black Swan event throws all those forecasts into the dustbin. For example, the entire Greenland ice cap melting would result in a sea level rise of 6 metres. Bangkok is only 1 metre above sea level.

True, the Dutch can keep the sea out. The Obamas can presumably afford seawalls as well. Not much help to Joe Citizen. The cost of denying Mother Nature her dues comes high.

Of course, the powers that be in Bangkok are never going to admit the city is unsustainable long term. That would scare foreign investment away.

I've made some dumb financial decisions in my life. Buying a condo in Bangkok is not one of them, or ever will be.

18 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Buying a condo in Bangkok is not one of them, or ever will be.

Well hell, you were an old geezer when they first started building Western style Condos here, obviously you arent buying, bet you never thought you'd make it this far.

I just read an article which postulates that climate change will make Oz  uninhabitable.

• Haha 1