2020: Crackdown on tourists working without work permits - 50K fines and deportation awaits

12 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

The case of the online english teacher isnt meeting your 'public spaces' clause I guess..

No it does not, you can not find one case of anyone been arrested for what I mentioned in my earlier post.  Someone living here for years is a different matter. 

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a happy digital professional, working remotely from TH for a few months every year*, I say: come get me!   It really would be a fun experience, something to write about in a few years, pl

Dont get caught cleaning your windows

I'm amazed that this would be a big deal, as i wouldn't suspect too many foreigners on tourist visa's working in Thailand .....  maybe a few but certainly not a hundred or even 30 .....   ? 

Posted Images

9 hours ago, balo said:

Exactly , it got nothing to do with remote freelancers who stay here only a few weeks or maximum 3 months. on normal tourist visas. 

But everything to do with those digital nomads (that actually dont go anywhere else) who say that working online, without Thai payments or customers, isnt illegal. 

He was arrested, charged, and deported for doing precisely that !!! 

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, balo said:

No it does not, you can not find one case of anyone been arrested for what I mentioned in my earlier post.  Someone living here for years is a different matter. 

Yet there is evidence of people arrested charged and deported while working online at home.. Why does 'public spaces' have any relevance to the law ??? 

12 hours ago, balo said:

Exactly , it got nothing to do with remote freelancers who stay here only a few weeks or maximum 3 months. on normal tourist visas. 

From what I've understood these "nomads" stay for years at a time.

8 hours ago, ChiangMaiNomad said:

IMO there's really no reason for digital professionals to be working in Thailand illegally for long periods of time, especially when there are companies like Shelter and Iglu to help get visas and work permits. Thai taxes are not expensive, and it's worth knowing that you are contributing as a member of Thai society.

Great spam !

and yes, it's very important to contribute as a member of thai society that treats us like $h!t !

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, rech said:

Great spam !

and yes, it's very important to contribute as a member of thai society that treats us like $h!t !

If its so terrible.. why is it so many dont seem willing or able to leave.. And battle such difficult visa runs and issues ?? 

• Like 1

Okay so lets assume soneone goes on 4 week Holiday to Thailand, he is Self Employed, like Trading Forex market, Commodities, or Website developer... Someone comes to Holiday and he decides to check about his work or fix something that is wrong... Thai Imm. come and Deports plus 50.000 THB fine for someone who came to holiday but his work is still so important that even in holidays need to be done. As everything in Thailand they should more specify who exactly is Illegal worker there... But as in 2019 even 2020 didnt came with any good news... As far as i saw while i was traveling across Europe people have opened their laptops and doing stock market trading in middle of Train stations, Mcdonalds i really dont see IMMIGRATION COME pack them up and deports them. They should make clear difference in this law between someone who have Company but dont register people who are working and between people who can manage their bussiness themselve even on their Laptop. But ofcourse, Visa crackdown is not in the mood anymore lets bring new stuff, basically all foreigners are criminals, either they overstay, or working illegaly taking jobs from Thai people, poor Thai people really... Everybody is so mean to them

14 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Yet there is evidence of people arrested charged and deported while working online at home.

Which people? The online Australian teacher?  He lived here for years.
And we had some Chinese that were operating illegally from private houses. 

I have not seen one case of a westerner working as a remote freelancer that has led to deportation. Staying on a tourist visa , lets say up to 6 months. 

11 hours ago, DrTuner said:

From what I've understood these "nomads" stay for years at a time.

If they stay for years  they are caught because they take advantage of abusing tourist visas, doesn't matter if they work remotely or not, immigration rules will make sure they can't abuse the system anymore. 

However if you are over the age of 50 and have a 1 year multi entry visa, and are semi retired, nothing can stop you for taking care of your business in Europe or the US. As long as you leave Thailand on a regular basis and pay your taxes and follow the laws and regulations in your home country.  

Edited by balo
10 minutes ago, balo said:

However if you are over the age of 50 and have a 1 year multi entry visa, and are semi retired, nothing can stop you for taking care of your business in Europe or the US. As long as you leave Thailand on a regular basis and pay your taxes and follow the laws and regulations in your home country.  

You're Thai tax resident after 183days and are then supposed to pay the income tax here, unless the double taxation treaty says otherwise. I would venture to guess many pay no taxes at all. If the taxman got Capone, they'll get a "nomad".

If Thais ever get their <deleted> off their chairs, that is. It's a high probability they'll do sod all to enforce anything, I'd say about 90%. Good odds if you're a gambling man. The introduction of the OECD CRS might make things nastier in the future, as some checks could be automated.

Edited by DrTuner
9 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

You're Thai tax resident after 183days and are then supposed to pay the income tax here, unless the double taxation treaty says otherwise.

Yes, so make sure to leave Thailand at least 4 times every year.  Not a problem when you're on a 1 year multi visa, you can come and go as you like.

If I hear about one case about arrests and deportation because of this l will reconsider, but so far I feel good about myself and the way I live.
The point is you can own a business and still live most of the year in Thailand , as long as you do not burn your bridges in your home country.  

Edited by balo