Car crash into wall: Elder sister dead after Norwegian pensioner takes her and his wife out to lunch

webfact

Car crash into wall: Elder sister dead after Norwegian pensioner takes her and his wife out to lunch

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A 59 year old woman died and two other people were injured after a car failed to negotiate a bend in the road in Samut Songkhram on Saturday. 

A 75 year old Norwegian was at the wheel of a Toyota Camry. Beside him was his 49 year old wife. In the back and soon dead from a broken neck was the Norwegian's sister in law. 

Muang district police headed by Pol Capt Chutima B anjongpru responded to the accident on the Klong Khern to Wat Srisatthatham road. 

2pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The car had gone into the wall of a property owned by 95 year old Jian Wattana. 

Despite CPR being given Jonjit Pawangkhamin was pronounced dead at the scene. 

Knut E. suffered leg and knee injuries and Nuanhong Pawangkhamin had severe whiplash. Both were rushed to hospital. 

Witness Yuth, 62, a local government official, said he had just passed the car on his motorcycle when he heard a loud noise and looked back. 

He found a foreigner behind the wheel unresponsive and a woman next to him crying out. The woman in the back had her neck caught in her seatbelt. 

Police learned that the Norwegian and his wife live in Norway and were back in Thailand visiting relatives in Ban Prok for New Year. They were on their way to have lunch.

Police suspect that the driver may have suffered a microsleep (lap nai) or he had been unfamiliar with the road. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-06

About time they got some NEW WHITE  PAINT  on all the roads in Thailand especially rural areas,at night you can hardly see whats road and  ditch  half  the time, combined with no  lights motorbikes, cows, dogs people on bicycles with no  lights, madness everyday.

10 minutes ago, tifino said:

those Left/Right bends are, in that area, dwarfed by the sharp vertical bends  (sharp short bridge rise humpss over the canals  

Those are a real joy  on a motorbike when you are NOT expecting them

8 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I'm not trying to be clever here, but how can that happen apart from incorrectly putting on the seat belt?

Years ago before seat belts I was involved at age 2 in a serious  car crash, long story short 1965 no seat belts I think and the surgeon told my parents he would  have been dead if had   had one on in this particular circumstance (Father)...............brand new Austin Morris 1300 suspension broke........ these days my parents would  have got  millions, back then just a new  car. I  still have the scars on my face from windscreen sailing , overall though of course seatbelts  will save more but arent 100%  fool proof  for  all occasions

14 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I'm not trying to be clever here, but how can that happen apart from incorrectly putting on the seat belt?

simple neck whiplash. seat belts do not anchor the head nor neck.  Torso  in place, neck snaps forward or back.  And elderly and possibly less muscle mass, resistance to motion, etc. 

14 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

maybe she had already broken her neck, on the previous canal hump?  be interesting to see just how close after a Hump, is that particular corner?  - and had taken them by surpise , and he had still not recovered the car from that...

20 minutes ago, tifino said:

those Left/Right bends are, in that area, dwarfed by the sharp vertical bends  (sharp short bridge rise humpss over the canals  

You should only travel at a speed that is suited the roads you travel on.

Accidents happen through incompetence or illness.

This guy was elderly, he may have passed out or something similar.

57 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

You should only travel at a speed that is suited the roads you travel on.

Accidents happen through incompetence or illness.

This guy was elderly, he may have passed out or something similar.

trouble is these back province roads are full of what (when) you least expect...

3 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

So, it was not the driver that failed? Never seen that model of Google AI cars.

I recall yonks ago, encountering a 'Rail Crossing Ahead' warning alert on the GPS...

- I was in a tunnel underpass below the railway at the time

can't trust anyone...

10 minutes ago, tifino said:

I recall yonks ago, encountering a 'Rail Crossing Ahead' warning alert on the GPS...

- I was in a tunnel underpass below the railway at the time

can't trust anyone...

Please tifino, having a GPS does not mean that you should stop look at the road.

Why this happened to you, was probably because it was a rail crossing above and the signal at the time was weak or could not define that you were 4 meter under the regular road.

18 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Please tifino, having a GPS does not mean that you should stop look at the road.

Why this happened to you, was probably because it was a rail crossing above and the signal at the time was weak or could not define that you were 4 meter under the regular road.

well, no it was a well established bridgeover, already there for 30 years before! This was my first ever  feedback to RoadAngel - feedback sent with a smile...  

image.png.8a6b4930c1137d8f7d20d318c6b508da.png

9 minutes ago, tifino said:

well, no it was a well established bridgeover, already there for 30 years before! This was my first ever  feedback to RoadAngel - feedback sent with a smile...  

image.png.8a6b4930c1137d8f7d20d318c6b508da.png

Ok, that´s an error, but you still do not let the GPS see the road for you as an experienced driver.

5 hours ago, Chazar said:

Years ago before seat belts I was involved at age 2 in a serious  car crash, long story short 1965 no seat belts I think and the surgeon told my parents he would  have been dead if had   had one on in this particular circumstance (Father)...............brand new Austin Morris 1300 suspension broke........ these days my parents would  have got  millions, back then just a new  car. I  still have the scars on my face from windscreen sailing , overall though of course seatbelts  will save more but arent 100%  fool proof  for  all occasions

Back in hen they didn’t have shoulder strap seatbelts either 

" Police suspect that the driver .... had been unfamiliar with the road"

this normally happens to Thai drivers only...I suspect the gentleman behind the wheel was simply too old to steer a sedan like this

4 hours ago, robblok said:

There goes the myth of the superior driving foreigner. Seems they have the same problems as Thais micro sleeps. 

Microsleep is the new brake failure. Otherwise known as "no clue but let's throw it in that category".

11 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Microsleep is the new brake failure. Otherwise known as "no clue but let's throw it in that category".

The Thais are taking it seriously enough to have erected thousands of large signs on main roads throughout Thailand warning about dropping off behind the wheel. Hope you can read Thai, it may remind you of the danger. It works for me.

Rooster

Archived