UK election result 'blew away' argument for second Brexit vote: Labour's Starmer

webfact

1 hour ago, kingdong said:

They haven,t got a currency.......i,ve got a 25 billion Zimbabwe dollar note some where,they only take usd out there now,probably be like that in Scotland if you leave.

Why would it probably be like that? Show us thick jocks your superior grasp of economics so that we can finally understand the futility of ever thinking that we were capable of looking after our own affairs. I await enlightenment with eager anticipation. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sandyf said:

It is you that did not think very clearly when you voted for brexit, which was also a vote for breaking up the UK, and are now trying to cover your tracks.

As long as the UK is a member of the UK then Scotland has no chance of independence without the approval of the UK government but once out of the EU things change.

During the Kosovo proceedings the UK supported the right to self determination under international law, Bojo wold have extreme difficulty retracting that statement. When push comes to shove, U turns are not that uncommon.

Article 1.2 of the UN Charter recognises the principle of self-determination – making this a right which transcends any state’s domestic laws. A fundamental principle of international law is that the provisions of a state’s constitution cannot be deemed inherently legal – they must equate with international law. For example, a constitution may sanction racial discrimination or genocide, but this is superseded by the international laws which prohibit both. To claim that a state’s constitution is the sole determinant on the legality of action taken within that state is to essentially reject the very idea of international law.

http://theconversation.com/self-determination-is-legal-under-international-law-its-hypocritical-to-argue-otherwise-for-catalonia-86558

I didn't vote for Brexit.I was and am still a firm Remainer.

Furthermore I accept and always accept that Scotland has the right to be independent if its people so decide.There was such a referendum and in due course there may well be another one but it will be Westminster not Edinburgh that determines timing.My point in these posts was simply to emphasize the extreme practical difficulties on the currency side.The SNP leadership fully grasps this.You apparently do not.

23 minutes ago, jayboy said:

I didn't vote for Brexit.I was and am still a firm Remainer.

Furthermore I accept and always accept that Scotland has the right to be independent if its people so decide.There was such a referendum and in due course there may well be another one but it will be Westminster not Edinburgh that determines timing.My point in these posts was simply to emphasize the extreme practical difficulties on the currency side.The SNP leadership fully grasps this.You apparently do not.

So in leaving the EU the UK determines timing and the EU doesn't get a vote.

But in leaving the UK Scotland doesn't determine and the UK gets a vote.

Hypocritical much?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, jayboy said:

What have English nationalists got to do with it?

As to the Scots you profoundly overstate your case, not least because there are significant numbers of SNP supporters who prefer to remain outside the EU.

In the recent election the SNP won 45% votes but 55% voted for non independence parties.The SNP did very well but the first past the post system gives them more MPs than the number of supporters reflect.This would not apply in a referendum.Let's see what happens in the Scottish elections in 2021.If there is increased success the UK government will I think be pressured to accept a referendum on independence. Whether they would win it is another matter altogether

It was a general election not a referendum.

You are failing to allow for the tactical voting that will have occurred.

Johnson is in number 10 with 43.6% of the votes cast and apparently has a mandate from the people to get Brexit done.

The SNP won 45% of the votes in Scotland but somehow this does not become a mandate for another referendum?

As usual British/English nationalists display utter hypocrisy. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

The SNP won 45% of the votes in Scotland but somehow this does not become a mandate for another referendum?

Of course it doesn't particularly as the previous referendum was agreed to settle the matter for a generation.

As previously pointed out a further good result fo the SNP in 2021 will make the demand for another referendum morally hard to resist

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Why would it probably be like that? Show us thick jocks your superior grasp of economics so that we can finally understand the futility of ever thinking that we were capable of looking after our own affairs. I await enlightenment with eager anticipation. 

I addressed a specific point,remember your last election,when Scotland thought they could leave and still retain sterling (and obviously all their perks and subsidies like free prescriptions and education)when it was pointed out this was not to be the result was stay. Well  must dash,have got to go to the chemist and pick up ( and pay)for my prescription.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Scotland participated in a democratic vote then failed to observe losers consent when it went pear shaped. That's a bit like placing a tenner on a lottery ticket on Saturday & demanding your money back on Monday morning cos it didn't win

like the referendum for brexit,then 3 years of political turmoil till democracy prevailed in the general election,sorry,people's vote.j

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Thats it?

Thats your overwhelming arguement as to why there can be not be another refereendum. The opinion of Prof John Curtice?

ROFL I am honestly laughing here.

Where is the legally binding commitment to no second referendum?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, kingdong said:

Do you honestly think the eu would let Scotland rejoin? Look at what would happen then,Catalonia,the Basque region and several other regions wanting independence and  then come back?,dream on.

Scotland is a country not a region.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Thats it?

Thats your overwhelming arguement as to why there can be not be another refereendum. The opinion of Prof John Curtice?

ROFL I am honestly laughing here.

Where is the legally binding commitment to no second referendum?

You unaccountably do not mention the unambiguous view of the then SNP leader.

2 minutes ago, jayboy said:

You unaccountably do not mention the unambiguous view of the then SNP leader.

It was an off the cuff remark which he made and also said "but thats my opinion".

Where is the legally binding commitment to it being once in a generation? 

Oh thats right. There is none.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingdong said:

I addressed a specific point,remember your last election,when Scotland thought they could leave and still retain sterling (and obviously all their perks and subsidies like free prescriptions and education)when it was pointed out this was not to be the result was stay. Well  must dash,have got to go to the chemist and pick up ( and pay)for my prescription.

The UK pound is a fiat currency. You could not stop Scotland using the pound if it so wishes. Please google fiat currency. 

Stop with the Daily Mein Kampf parroting of what Scotland can or cannot do.

For those of us who understand such stuff you simply make yourself look foolish.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

It was an off the cuff remark which he made and also said "but thats my opinion".

Where is the legally binding commitment to it being once in a generation? 

Oh thats right. There is none.

Of course there's no legal commitment:it was just the clear understanding between all interested parties - far more than off the cuff remarks.But I could produce a hundred references and you would dismiss them all with some puerile gesture.

Nevertheless given the progress of the SNP and the prospect of further gains in 2021, I certainly don't expect that understanding to be honoured on the SNP side.Indeed in the new Westminster Parliament the Scottish MPs have taken the Referendum issue up with a vengeance.Nothing will happen quickly but they expect to wear the Government down.Perhaps they will succeed.

Incidentally one area - among many - where you are hopelessly ignorant is your assumption that English nationalists want to deny Scottish independence.They don't at all: they want to get rid of Scotland as soon as possible.The people who are sad are the believers in the United KIngdom (including hundreds of thousands of Scots) who feel the Union has served the various nations well.If Scottish independence ever happens these people won't be angry or vengeful: they will wish Scotland well as a key neighbour tied irrevocably by blood, culture and history.