ADV 150 Honda - Anybody bought one/ridden one - review please

thequietman

1 hour ago, Agusts said:

The foot floor board bikes have a different chasis than the other type, engine location and also having just one shock (on Click) means the handling and feel of the ride differs, you need to try it going fast down a bendy/slippery road/hill with some speed and breaking hard to feel it. The floor board frame is designed for slow traffic city riding, ideal to get on and off easily and put shopping on the floor....

New Honda ADV 150 will be far better than many current scooters on a bumpy bendy road with lots of gravel and sand, but can't beat the Click popping down to 7/11 ... ! Decide what you need the bike for and don't waste money for the look or prestige....

I do about 90km's a day going to work and back and I feel every bump in the road with the click. Once I hit the concrete flat roads into the village, it's not good as there is a dip every 10 metres from the joins.

There are many 2nd hand forza's now around 70-75,00 baht with bigger wheels, but a little concerned about fuel consumption and prices of spare parts.

I am very keen on the yamaha aerox scooter as well, as it looks great and has big wide tyres. Wud love to get a ride on one, but the tards at yamaha won't provide one. ????

15 minutes ago, alx123 said:

ABS will make a lot of difference. Been riding for 20 years and I thought I didn't need ABS, until last month when I locked my PCX's brakes and skidded on the road. 

Get the ADV or the used Forza. 

As has been mentioned several times before , if the Hondas "ABS" system has Hondas CBS - where the front brakes comes on even when you only apply the rear brake - any safety benefits seem to be wiped out.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, thequietman said:

I am very keen on the yamaha aerox scooter as well, as it looks great and has big wide tyres. Wud love to get a ride on one, but the tards at yamaha won't provide one. ????

EZ to rent in Thailand.

Maybe not in Dubai, dunno.

33 minutes ago, ktm jeff said:

As has been mentioned several times before , if the Hondas "ABS" system has Hondas CBS - where the front brakes comes on even when you only apply the rear brake - any safety benefits seem to be wiped out.

it doesn't ...seperate ..

7 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

The CBS isn't ABS, the left is small part front large part back

11 hours ago, Kinnock said:

I went to the launch of the ADV 150 was all ready to buy one - ABS, slightly higher than a PCX, proper handlebars and a place to clamp a gps or phone, LED lights, adjustable screen, massive dealer network - what's not to like.  On the launch stage with a young lady in tight black leathers it looked good too.

But now I've seen a few on the road, ADV looks a lot like a Click 150, and I have to look closely to tell it apart.

Now thinking a Wave 125i may be better - as it has bigger wheels, motorbike design, brakes in the right place and they are super robust and reliable, plus almost half the price.   Just no ABS. ????

And on rough tracks or poor roads I think a Wave will be more capable?

Are you making daft comments for the sake of it ?

If you've got nowt better to do with your time - try doing some voluntary work down the local orphanage.....

a)  The Click 150 "looks a lot like an ADV 150" - jeees  - the only similarities are they are both are scooters and have 2 wheels...

b)  Wave more capable on rough tracks / poor roads than an ADV - I'm assuming you're from the sparsely populated, Northern part of Planet Zogg ?

Edited by piston broke
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Kinnock said:

And on rough tracks or poor roads I think a Wave will be more capable?

A larger diameter wheel - ala Honda Wave - will for sure roll over rough surfaces better than a smaller diameter wheel.

So if the majority of your riding is on those surfaces, a Wave would be the way to go. And they are bullet proof.

Combined with the engine braking which is non existent on CVT bikes like the PCX, Click et al

ADV - just a styling exercise on a PCX seeing as how "Adventure" bikes are popular

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, piston broke said:

Wave more capable on rough tracks / poor roads than an ADV - I'm assuming you're from the sparsely populated, Northern part of Planet Zogg ?

This is probably true the wave will be more capable,,,just cause Honda have called it an adv scooter and put some kind of rough rugged looking tyres on it does not make it capable on rough/poor tracks......

i have had locals overtake me on there  Honda wave in flip flops while I’m riding down rough tracks fully kitted up in safety gear on my crf...????????....

go out to any villages in remote locations or mountain regions they have waves with off road tyres on.

Edited by taninthai
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

This is a correct statement about ABS + CBS on Honda, see my test that I did yesterday on my Forza in this thread below:

I did this test last year but I don't remember which wheel stuttered, ABS activated, when the left/back break is pulled hard, this year it is the front wheel, which is bad news as far as I'm concerned ...!!! ?

Edited by Agusts

On 1/10/2020 at 7:25 AM, canthai55 said:

A larger diameter wheel - ala Honda Wave - will for sure roll over rough surfaces better than a smaller diameter wheel.

So if the majority of your riding is on those surfaces, a Wave would be the way to go. And they are bullet proof.

Combined with the engine braking which is non existent on CVT bikes like the PCX, Click et al

ADV - just a styling exercise on a PCX seeing as how "Adventure" bikes are popular

And your fillings would be "way to go" too - as the s  hite suspension rattles 'em all out !   ....

You'll be entering a Wave in the Paris Dakar next - lol - Although "team canthai" does have a bit of a ring to it ....

lol

• Confused 2

I had a sit on the ADV and I didn't like the sitting position at all compared to my old 1st gen Pcx150. Pcx more sofa like, or cruiser, relaxed.

Anyway I only uses my scooter for popping around Pattaya, going any further and I take my big bike.

The top box on the pcx can hold a box of beers so don't need the flat board either.

I had the pcx from new and it's been flawless so I might keep it for a while longer until I find a replacement I really like, but nothing on the market at the moment

• Like 2

On 1/12/2020 at 2:26 AM, guzzi850m2 said:

I had a sit on the ADV and I didn't like the sitting position at all compared to my old 1st gen Pcx150. Pcx more sofa like, or cruiser, relaxed.

Anyway I only uses my scooter for popping around Pattaya, going any further and I take my big bike.

The top box on the pcx can hold a box of beers so don't need the flat board either.

I had the pcx from new and it's been flawless so I might keep it for a while longer until I find a replacement I really like, but nothing on the market at the moment

everyone has different ideas and opinions about scooters / bikes.... That's what makes Forums like this so interesting...

The main reason for me plumping for an ADV was the suspension - it irons out bumps far better than any small scooter ...when you chuck in the rear disc and ABS, it was a surefire winner for me.....

As regards the riding position - The "dirt bike bars / riding position" was a big plus for me over the pcx "cruiser / sofa" position...

700km in - deffo no regrets .....

• Like 2

I had an Aerox a few months back and had no issues with clearance. many people had pointed that I definitely would when I posted in those threads..

I am 191cm but not overweight so maybe that has something to do with it? (sliding forward with weight? idk) I might have hit my knee on the charger box once or twice but definitely not often.

I had interest in the ADV which is why I read this thread but .. maybe more interested  at the price point first listed, 105,000 baht seems quite a bit (for me)

at that price you can get a pretty good second hand 650cc big bike such as the ER6Ns or even something solid like those almost new Yamaha MT-03s

obviously it's a whole different style of bike but I can't seem to be able to make sense of paying over 100k for a scooter.. I think I paid 43k for a 2018 Aerox in proper shape at auctions last year, I sold it few months back for 57k

ex girlfriend had a PCX, it was nice bike I felt but I preferred my Aerox to it.

I personally had zero interest in NMAX or Forza or any of those bigger "boats"

to each their own I guess

• Like 2

4 hours ago, piston broke said:

just so you know - the ADV150 list price has risen from 97,900 Baht to 102,000 Baht as from 1st January - due to gov't tax increases on bikes.....

I don't think the excise tax changes should cause an over 4000thb increase. Without knowing the CO2 specs for the engine, I would say the tax increase should be 0.5% (2.5% -> 3%) so more like a 500THB increase. The other 3600 THB come from Honda. A lot of manufacturers probably think it's a good time to increase prices because people will blame the tax change.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 8:03 PM, eisfeld said:

I don't think the excise tax changes should cause an over 4000thb increase. Without knowing the CO2 specs for the engine, I would say the tax increase should be 0.5% (2.5% -> 3%) so more like a 500THB increase. The other 3600 THB come from Honda. A lot of manufacturers probably think it's a good time to increase prices because people will blame the tax change.

what you say makes sense - i had my ADV serviced at Mittyon yesterday (1,000km) and was chatting to the salesman who told me "price gone up" - now 105,000 out the door .....

not sure if the original price was a starter offer for a few weeks, or if they put the price up when the tax was icreased, but whatever - if you want one - 105,000 is now the number....

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 1/8/2020 at 8:43 AM, alx123 said:

hmm...

ok 1st,the current PCX model has no ABS (you said you own one?), the new ADV has..

2nd, i don't really see any justification on why ABS won't be useful on a scooter..

I guess that you will highly appreciate ABS on the front wheel, if you take the bike off-road!

Edited by Xonax
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 7:35 AM, properperson said:

everyone has different ideas and opinions about scooters / bikes.... That's what makes Forums like this so interesting...

The main reason for me plumping for an ADV was the suspension - it irons out bumps far better than any small scooter ...when you chuck in the rear disc and ABS, it was a surefire winner for me.....

As regards the riding position - The "dirt bike bars / riding position" was a big plus for me over the pcx "cruiser / sofa" position...

700km in - deffo no regrets .....

By no means to start an argument, the ADV only has front abs - I've learned this from experience ????

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2020 at 11:24 AM, juanzo said:

By no means to start an argument, the ADV only has front abs - I've learned this from experience ????

On 10/25/2020 at 11:24 AM, juanzo said:

true, but front abs a shed load better than no abs  .....

On 1/8/2020 at 6:18 AM, scubascuba3 said:
On 1/8/2020 at 5:47 AM, canthai55 said:

flat floor is ok if you wear a dress, you can keep your knees together

you're another one who probably gets aroused by loud exhausts.

Step through is just more practical, it's not a macho thing

Step though are great... Guys have the option to keep their knees together or throw caution to the wind, spread ‘em and feel the wind on their vagina !!!  :1zgarz5:

I like the look of the ADV as an about town run around with under-seat storage.

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Step though are great... Guys have the option to keep their knees together or throw caution to the wind, spread ‘em and feel the wind on their vagina !!!  :1zgarz5:

b.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I see things differently, guys with step through are so self confident that they don't need to buy a "macho" bike with a little more torque and exhaust noise. I'm bored of the look of the ADV already as I was bored of the Aerox after a few months

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/9/2020 at 8:36 PM, thequietman said:

I do about 90km's a day going to work and back and I feel every bump in the road with the click. Once I hit the concrete flat roads into the village, it's not good as there is a dip every 10 metres from the joins.

There are many 2nd hand forza's now around 70-75,00 baht with bigger wheels, but a little concerned about fuel consumption and prices of spare parts.

I've got a Aerox and I think it's great Have done a couple of relatively long rides - Pattaya to Kanchantburi and  Pattaya to Trat and I was impressed. I've had a PCX and  Forza before. Obviously not as comfortable as a Forza but just as good as a PCX. Only two downfall for me. The gas tank is not as big as a PCX and it 'seems' as if once around the block and it drops one bar. Once you get used to the smaller tank then you become aware. You just have to fill up more often. The other issue for me is the leg-room. I've got long legs and the Aerox does not have the leg room as the PCX does. Often I have to ride with my knees out. It is not the same problem for most people but just be aware.