What’s with the lousy air quality in Pattaya?

Guderian

Someone should tell immigration there is no need to make our visas harder to obtain. If the pollution gets worse we are all going to leave anyway.

Last few days here in Bkk I can smell what I think is crop burning, plus a chemical insecticide smell. Wind from the north east.

When will man learn, we only have one planet. I foresee a Chinaman with a fist full of money, but he is dying as the air and water have turned to poison.

It has been bad for months, sometimes going up to 70+ μg/m3. Air purifier is a must now. One cigarette is equivalent to an air pollution of 22 μg/m3 for one day. With current 66 it is three cigarettes per day. Btw, the average in Beijing is about 85 μg/m3. This pollution is getting bad. 

15 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Depends on why one is here.

The list just gets better.

This morning spent a great hour with a very cute 22 year old in my nice air conditioned condo.

I certainly am going no where been smiling all day.

We are talking of smog not snog!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

We are talking of smog not snog!

Ha.

I do not complain much as I like it here.

All joking aside this morning has to be the worst I have ever seen.

I had the aircon on all night woke up this morning and blew my nose, black stuff came out.

My eyes are puffy and feeling kind of sick.

Hope this is temporary seems like it got very bad in a short period of time.

8 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Someone should tell immigration there is no need to make our visas harder to obtain. If the pollution gets worse we are all going to leave anyway.

Indeed. The dirty air might turn out to be the final deal changer for staying.

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

Ha.

I had the aircon on all night woke up this morning and blew my nose, black stuff came out.

You need one of those air purifiers for the bedroom then.

Just now, bkk6060 said:

Ha.

This is not good. As for temporary, this doesn't appear to be a one-off; my feeling is that things have been getting progressively worse at least the last couple of years.

• Like 2

Just now, bkk6060 said:

I will check it out.

Damn.  Still spend most of the day walking around cannot be good.

Thanks for the tip.

If you ride around on a motorbike I might suggest a smog mask too, I have started using them and believe it has caused benefit. I can ride down soi pothole without getting recognized too!

The sad fact is that it is bad, and it is only going to get worse ???? I agree with previous poster that Baht buses and Tour buses are the main contributors, and are also responsible for the disgusting coating of black grease over everything exposed to the air, mainly fans. I see only further decrease in air quality, unless the police actually enforced the removal of any smoke belching vehicles !

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

If you ride around on a motorbike I might suggest a smog mask too, I have started using them and believe it has caused benefit. I can ride down soi pothole without getting recognized too!

Ha. 

Got it have tried a disguise before but still get my name yelled half a dozen times driving down that Soi. ????

3m mask good idea.

5 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Ha. 

Got it have tried a disguise before but still get my name yelled half a dozen times driving down that Soi. ????

3m mask good idea.

Yeah, to be honest, me too. A new bike would be just too much! I see a lot of smoke belching vehicles riding round, from trucks, baht buses, tourist coaches, and stuck at lights you are being sprayed by it all. Roadside al-fresco dining no way. 

17 hours ago, johng said:

It's idiots burning everything !! fields,forests,plastics,rubbish..add in the black smoke belching  pickup trucks,lorries and tour buses for some good measure.

Let's not forget to add in the smokey charcoal breakfast setups on the side of the road in the morning.  Down a couple of roads near me you can't see more than 100 meters when they get going.

talk about out of the frying pan into the fire!!! left what I thought was my

beautiful beach resort of Jomtien for a month in Udon Thani...two nights in

the village and I can smell smoke and have acquired a bad cough..i noticed

the first three people I met in the village all had a bad cough...two nights

sleeping and I am coughing specks of blood..i get a lift back to Udon and after here three days my cough is a bit better....a week and no more blood

I have cut our holiday short...now I read this thread....is there no place safe

I hear they do not have any enforcement of the burning rules...as usual for

Thailand...bought a few masks and maybe it is time to move on? as things are getting worse between the Immigration and the Inhilation ...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CH1961 said:

What kind of AC draws air from outside? 

Would a stupid design to draw hot air ????

Here is one answer for you Flower...

Most window units have a small opening that allows outside air to be sucked into the fan. Most units have a control on this opening that allows the user to open it or close it. I have seen it labeled “Air exchange”.

Don't thank me. Anytime ????

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, seasia said:

The very poor air quality here is another reason added to my list of Thailand negatives.

That list is growing.

Seriously considering calling it a day to living here.

Yes I know I will not let the door hit me on the way out.

I will close it and walk away with a smile.

Turn the lights out also

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zoza said:

talk about out of the frying pan into the fire!!! left what I thought was my

beautiful beach resort of Jomtien for a month in Udon Thani...two nights in

the village and I can smell smoke and have acquired a bad cough..i noticed

the first three people I met in the village all had a bad cough...two nights

sleeping and I am coughing specks of blood..i get a lift back to Udon and after here three days my cough is a bit better....a week and no more blood

I have cut our holiday short...now I read this thread....is there no place safe

I hear they do not have any enforcement of the burning rules...as usual for

Thailand...bought a few masks and maybe it is time to move on? as things are getting worse between the Immigration and the Inhilation ...

Agreed we bought a cheap studio in Jomtien as the least worst option in Thailand for a good few reasons and the air was a big factor in that. 2 more months and I'm back to civilization and clean air for 9 months. Am buying an air purifier in Num chai today I've had enough. 

20200107_112357.jpg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

Most window units have a small opening that allows outside air to be sucked into the fan

Window units, thought they left the remaining few on the Arc, haven't seen one of those for many years, if you are still using one suggest you upgrade!

No need to thank me ???? 

18 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I already have the Airvisual app, currently reading 118, and Tara Pattana School is only 1 km away, not good, not sure about buying an air purifier, might be out of my financial league ???? 

Useful app, thanks.  I think.  Seeing 161 from Wong Amat in Naklua.  Now I'm more worried than I was!

From my condo in central Pattaya, I can see Jomtien bay and the woods & buildings on the far side.  Or rather I should be able to.  Currently I can just make out the tower blocks on THIS side of the bay.   

I live here now and don't plan to move, but if I was still thinking about the move, I'd think twice.  It's hard for me, an adult, to get a full breath sometimes - it has to be especially bad for the kids.

Time the government did one of their famous over-reactions and sorted this.

Since I don’t have a particle meter, I adopt the less scientific approach of measuring air quality by the number of islands I can see. This morning, couldn’t even see Koh Laan from Dongtan beach in Jomtien. Air’s still way better than in my Australian home right now though.