What’s with the lousy air quality in Pattaya?

Guderian

Serious sore throat now - if this was to continue long time then the place is almost unliveable. Hat Yai and Phattalung where we are going next week though is 30 Green - as it is the rainy season. 

http://berkeleyearth.org/air-pollution-and-cigarette-equivalence/

Air Pollution kills more people worldwide each year than does AIDS, malaria, diabetes or tuberculosis. For the United States and Europe, air pollution is equivalent in detrimental health effects to smoking 0.4 to 1.6 cigarettes per day. In China the numbers are far worse; on bad days the health effects of air pollution are comparable to the harm done smoking three packs per day (60 cigarettes) by every man, woman, and child. Air pollution is arguably the greatest environmental catastrophe in the world today.

20 hours ago, URMySunshine said:

Sad it should come to this because stupid idiots burn their sh%t without any rhyme or reason or control by the powers that should. 

I live about 15km out of town and the smell of burning and ash falling from the sky occurs soon after sunset  most days.

18 hours ago, Leaver said:

Cleaned the filters in my air conditioner AGAIN the other day.  Not a pretty sight.  It's a concern that if that's what the air conditioner is sucking in, that's what I am breathing in. 

The air in Pattaya's long been filthy, it's just not usually as bad or as visible as it has been recently.

I lived for five years on the 27th floor of the northern tower in Jomtien Complex Condo (tower A). There was no road between my condo and the sea, other than that along Dongtan Beach which was closed during the day and had very little using it at any other time as it's a dead end. The only nearby traffic was on Thappraya Road and Beach Road, and with the winds being mostly from the south-west not much of that should have been able to make it all the way up to the 27th floor where I lived. And yet every week I cleaned the glass top on the balcony table and it never ceased to amaze me how much filthy fine black particulate matter accumulated there in such a short space of time. If it's like that high in the sky and right by the sea in Jomtien, what must it be like for somebody in a low-level room behind Second Road in Pattaya, or on Soi Buakhao?

• Like 2

I had a stroll along Jomtien Beach yesterday and you can just about make out Bang Saray across the bay. When the air quality's good you should be able to see lots of detail in the hills down there. It just shows how bad the air quality still is, even if the AQI has improved a bit.

82459272_2890920714467832_363855146687397888_n.jpg.42e4eb32097a5f3aff3f83c5bbc81a5e.jpg

• Like 2

There was an article today that the Australian bush fires are so massive they are affecting places as far away as South America. I wonder if that is responsible for "what is different this year".

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jan/07/australian-bushfire-smoke-drifts-to-south-america-un-reports

Seeing Bang Saray is an easy way to judge AQI if you can't see it at all the we are in the unhealthy range /red/ . It's yellow today 83 and Bang Saray is a little muddied but clearly visible. . But I noticed it was raining last night coming from Bangkok to Jomtien so that will have improved things somewhat. 

I have my Samsung Air Purifier coming on Thursday and I'm excited about that how screwed up are we if that is a positive, Air quality is seriously bad all over Asia and they need to do something about it and quick or we are rapidly approaching a dystopian world here. Delhi seems to be ground zero of this mess - how bad must that be ? Europe for comparison is mostly all green. 

Wazirpur, Delhi - DPCC - Delhi air quality index (AQI) and air pollution is 252, Very Unhealthy
13:30, Jan 14 
ic-information-white
face-icon

Very Unhealthy
252US AQI
PM2.5 | 202 µg/m³
b
Edited by URMySunshine
  • Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 3:20 PM, Guderian said:

The air in Pattaya's long been filthy, it's just not usually as bad or as visible as it has been recently.

I lived for five years on the 27th floor of the northern tower in Jomtien Complex Condo (tower A). There was no road between my condo and the sea, other than that along Dongtan Beach which was closed during the day and had very little using it at any other time as it's a dead end. The only nearby traffic was on Thappraya Road and Beach Road, and with the winds being mostly from the south-west not much of that should have been able to make it all the way up to the 27th floor where I lived. And yet every week I cleaned the glass top on the balcony table and it never ceased to amaze me how much filthy fine black particulate matter accumulated there in such a short space of time. If it's like that high in the sky and right by the sea in Jomtien, what must it be like for somebody in a low-level room behind Second Road in Pattaya, or on Soi Buakhao?

Interesting point.

Perhaps the smaller particles of dust and pollution are swept up in thermal currents and can "fly" as high as the 27th Floor, and higher, but as you say, it's got to be better than being lower in the atmosphere, breathing in the heavier particles, even though they are still microscopic.  

• Like 2

On 1/12/2020 at 12:56 PM, johng said:

Its about half as bad today  for me @  Na-Jomtien

P_20200112_125127.thumb.jpg.33ad9195f43ad98b64b1ab1fa19f3aeb.jpg

It seems that the AQI varies a lot at different places even if they are quite near to each other. Therefore no website data can tell what the situation is where you are located unless there is a contributor just near you. Therefore you need a detector yourself. The one shown above is shipping from China (within up to 3 months according to Ebay).

Again one thing I do not understand: Since this is obviously an issue here is there really not one single shop where you can walk in and get a high quality device (I mean really reliable reading, it should not matter if the device is some thousand baht more cheap or expensive) right away over the counter ? If anybody knows please help. After monitoring one may decide what type of air purifier is needed for your home - if any.

i feel a tad relieved with the sqair from lazada for 3800baht . had it a week and just checked the hepa filter, ever so slightly tainted however nothing too worrying. going to that electrical shop in the basement of tukcom today to see if they have indoor monitors.

12 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

Terrible today , 160 - sore throat can't see Bang Saray from the condo for thick, clogging smoke. Numchai have oversold our purifier now got to wait till Tuesday.  I suspect stocks are running low nationwide,. This should be a national emergency. But it won't be.

same over our side of the gulf though we are reading higher than the following at my house - PM 2.5 110+

very sad, it stinks of stale smoke

Screenshot 2020-01-18 at 8.56.59 AM.png

Edited by GeorgeCross
  • Like 1

The air quality's much better this afternoon, 66-74 AQI at the moment. You can see it in the blue colour of the sky, not to mention the fact that tall buildings aren't looking hazy any more.

Plus the sun is feeling REALLY hot this afternoon, since the poor air started the sun has been quite effectively shielded by the smog blanket. The good news is that the sun usually does feel really hot here in Pattaya, so decent air quality seems to be the normal situation, at least away from the busiest roads.

Now Bangkok is suffering, and after the last two weeks or so I have to say I am very sympathetic to their plight.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Came into Swampy last night and saw at least 5 different fires burning on farmland coming in to land. If they can't control those near their international airport for all the world to see I don't see them doing anything elsewhere. They really are that useless weeks and months into the smog crisis. 

On 1/6/2020 at 10:12 PM, bkk6060 said:

Depends on why one is here.

The list just gets better.

This morning spent a great hour with a very cute 22 year old in my nice air conditioned condo.

I certainly am going no where been smiling all day.

The breakfast of champions?  We all have our priorities in life.  Some folk are just happy with breathing, to smile all day. ( I like a bit more than just breathing to keep me smiling, too.  And a bit of the other as well.)

Well the air quality last weekend was in the Green but has now moved from the Yellow - moderate, to a nasty Orange 137 AQI from Tara Pattana school which is literally just up the road from me.

My own meter arrives fairly soon so I will be able to monitor the situation more ably, not sure if I will be allowed to add it to the AirVisual app as it's not one of their $295.00 ones ???? 

Edited by Golden Triangle
Spelling