BANGKOK
Guderian

What’s with the lousy air quality in Pattaya?

On 1/6/2020 at 3:32 PM, seasia said:

The very poor air quality here is another reason added to my list of Thailand negatives.

That list is growing.

Seriously considering calling it a day to living here.

Yes I know I will not let the door hit me on the way out.

I will close it and walk away with a smile.

To where?

• Like 1

Just got back from a day out in the smog and a ride back to Jomtien on the spluttering Songthaew - my eyes are red and irritated and I have a sore throat. Tomorrow we go to buy the air purifier not a moment too soon. Am thinking of a Sharp/Hitachi for around 4 4.5k at Num Chai. The studio room not including the balcony and bathroom will be about 30 sqm. Will the small model be enough? Both of us are not yet decrepit , in good health and are only here for 3 months a year. 

Stop moaning; you cannot have your cake and eat it. The trillions of tourists invading Thailand's family and nature resort Pattaya need to be moved around in thousands of buses - there you go! 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2020 at 4:19 AM, RichardColeman said:

Could be the 5 yearly burning of the tm30's

that and all the 90 day reporting documents, visa extension paperwork, etc. that the officials collect.  Just where do you imagine they dispose of those mountains of paper they collect in duplicate each week?

• Like 1

Air Visual screen shot 0920 today 8 Jan

0930.PNG

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

Air Visual screen shot 0920 today 8 Jan

0930.PNG

It started off looking like that yesterday, with Bangkok being the hot-spot and worse than Pattaya et al. During the day, for some unknown reason, the AQI improved quite a lot in much of Bangkok, while on the Eastern Seaboard it stayed lousy.

Can anyone explain to us why that happens?

Terrible today. Mouth tastes bad and have a sore throat. Spent an hour in Num Chai yesterday and have a 8.8k Samsung 40m2 air purifier due for delivery next week. Comes with one spare charcoal/hepa filter not including the one it comes with. Nice looking piece of kit with a built in display with remote and control by an app. Will take out odours too so have high hopes of clean air and trouble free cooking in the condo as well. Sad it should come to this because stupid idiots burn their sh%t without any rhyme or reason or control by the powers that should. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY7PV6Cejvk

Posted (edited)

I went outside around 11:00 last night to lock the gate and you could hardly breathe out there, it was reeking of smoke, I was left with a nasty burnt wood taste in my mouth for an hour afterwards. Obviously, the idea that it's Thais burning their rubbish or fields at night that's causing at least part of the problem is spot on.

What is it with these idiots, their wives and children will be breathing this crud too, don't they care about the potential damage they're causing to their kids' health?

Edited by Guderian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I found this air quality forecast, you can look at either PM2.5 or PM10. Scary at the global level, the entire tropics, almost, looks dangerously polluted.

https://aqicn.org/forecast/asia

You can zoom in to SEA and it looks like things should start to improve slowly, and by next week it should be noticably better. That's IF this forecast is correct, of course.

The big red blob over Bangkok is interesting, slow the animation down and you can see it extending all the way down the coast to cover us. In a few days it's supposed to migrate northwards which will result in us getting better air quality.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I just checked the AirVisual app on my phone, 14.15 hrs 9/01/20 - 164  😞 

Edit: the reading comes from Tara Patana School, less than a km from me. Scary 

Edited by Golden Triangle

4 hours ago, Guderian said:

don't they care about the potential damage they're causing to their kids' health?

Sadly ( most)  have no idea  and think its just normal !

• Like 1