It's official: teen golfer Atthaya turns pro, eyes top 25 berth

webfact

It's official: teen golfer Atthaya turns pro, eyes top 25 berth

THE NATION

By Lerpong Amsa-ngiam

800_351152532289001.jpg?v=1578305591

Atthaya Thitikul

Teen prodigy Atthaya Thitikul has her sights on a berth in the top 25 on the Ladies European Tour (LET) as she made an official announcement on Monday to go professional.

The world record holder of youngest winner in a professional tournament (in the 2017 LET Thailand Championship in Pattaya at only 14 years, four months and 19 days) will focus on the European event as she has a tour card through her second Tour victory from the Thailand Championship last year.

%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%93%E0%B8%A2%E0%

“I take this opportunity to officially announce my turning pro here,” Atthaya told a press conference with her main sponsor SCG in Bangkok. “2020 will be a challenging year for me as I will from now on play on the pro tour. I have to restart everything, being on my own more.

There won’t be any more company from national teammates [at the amateur level],” added Atthaya, who also became the youngest to win two Ladies European Tour titles following her triumph at the Phoenix Gold Golf and Country Club (the venue of the LET Thailand Championship) last May.

“I’m happy not because I won twice but because I have ensured that the trophy remains on home soil,” said Atthaya, who put her amateur status behind her after winning the women’s team bronze medal at the SEA Games in the Philippines last month.

The precocious girl’s big goal in her first pro year is to finish in the top 25 on the LET money list, which will earn her a card into the British Women’s Open. She is however too young for the LPGA, which is open to those over 18 only.

“The LET is a good tour which will allow me to gain experience from pros and learn various types of course conditions. I need more experience before the LPGA Tour,” she said.

Former world No 1 Ariya Jutanugarn is convinced Atthaya, due to her talent, will become the next force to be reckoned with in women’s golf.

“I’m proud to see her win at only 14. As she is a talented player, I’m sure she will do well this year. My only advice is she has to work hard and enjoy everything. When you look back one day, this is just a tiny part of your life,” Ariya said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/sport/30380209

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-07