Vientiane???

I would appreciate any recent information on obtaining a Multi Entry Non O Visa (based on marriage) from The Royal Thai Embassy in Vientiane. I tried to obtain information from the 'English' version of their website - which is 90% written in Thai language and couldn't make much sense of what was written in English.

I know it was the case not so long ago that Vientiane was fairly relaxed on documentation in much the same way as Savannakhet is - however, the one worrying thing that was in English on their website was the statement that Multi Entry Non O's are 'ONLY for Resident Applicants' (on the fees list) - is this correct?

What is the timescale? Is it as it used to be-  go early in the morning and pick up your visa the following afternoon? I seem to remember reports stating that an appointment system is now in place at Vientiane but I can't find a reference to it on their 'English' visa page.

If a visa (multi) is available - what are the requirements? Marriage certificate/copy of wifes Tabien Baan and ID card? Financials?

Vientiane would be preferential over Savannakhet due to very tight travel plans which necessitate flying to and from Udon Thani rather than doing the trip by road.

Edit: I have now found a different website from the consular section which is far better and shows the appointment system. However, it is asking for financials etc. I would still like to hear from those who've applied recently etc. as to what is actually required - rather that what is stipulated.

Edited by KhaoYai

I compiled a couple of earlier posts (dating from mid december 2019) containing the requirements and practical tips on how to apply for a Multiple Entry Non Imm O - marriage Visa in Savannakhet and HCMC.

Will PM you the info.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

Savannakhet it is then - flights are more than double the price though (compared to Udon).

Thanks for the info all.

It is normal, if counting the pennies, to take a fly-ride service to Mukdahan on Nok Air or Air Asia rather than flying in to Savannakhet itself. Booked in advance, this is pretty cheap.

13 minutes ago, BritTim said:

It is normal, if counting the pennies, to take a fly-ride service to Mukdahan on Nok Air or Air Asia rather than flying in to Savannakhet itself. Booked in advance, this is pretty cheap.

My comments were made on the basis of flying to Mukdahan using the fly/ride service - as suggested by Ubon Joe. Not particularly counting the pennies but it is double the price. At the moment Nok Air have promotions on the Udon route - down to as low as 700 baht each way whereas Air Aisa to Mukdahan (their timings work better) are up at 1400 baht. Multipy by 2 for 2 persons and the price starts to rack up - there's also the hotels etc. Those flight prices are the base - before you go further into the booking and start getting charged for using the toilet etc. ????

Still, around 16 - 17k baht including hotels, visa fee etc. so not a fortune.

Arrival into Mukdahan will probably be late on a Monday evening - probably too late to cross over into Laos. Does anyone have details of any bus/van services from Mukdahan to the border and on to the consulate once in Laos?  Hotel in Mukdahan close to the bus/van pick up point?

19 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Savannakhet it is then - flights are more than double the price though (compared to Udon).

Thanks for the info all.

You can Always DRIVE To Mukdahan,I Do it in about 5 Hours from Nong Khai....And That is NOT Driving like a Lunatic !!!

Edited by Nong Khai Man
More Added

On 1/8/2020 at 5:13 AM, Nong Khai Man said:

You can Always DRIVE To Mukdahan,I Do it in about 5 Hours from Nong Khai....And That is NOT Driving like a Lunatic !!!

The trip will not be from Nong Khai - it will start and end in Bangkok. I've done Bangkok to Yasothon before so I'd guess that Bangkok to Mukdahan is over 10 hours - no thanks!

Following Savannakhet I have a further trip (driving) from Bangkok to Buriram then Buriram to Hua Hin - all in the same week. To make that work (and not fall down dead) the first part to Savannakhet and back, has to be by air.

Edited by KhaoYai

16 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

The trip will not be from Nong Khai - it will start and end in Bangkok. I've done Bangkok to Yasothon before so I'd guess that Bangkok to Mukdahan is over 10 hours - no thanks!

Following Savannakhet I have a further trip (driving) from Bangkok to Buriram then Buriram to Hua Hin - all in the same week. To make that work (and not fall down dead) the first part to Savannakhet and back, has to be by air.

I don't get it. Start bkk? Go to Saigon ~2400baht return flight. Chilled place. Clearly I'm missing something.

44 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I don't get it. Start bkk? Go to Saigon ~2400baht return flight. Chilled place. Clearly I'm missing something.

I'm not stuck on Savannakhet, I'll consider all options. I just want the ability to leave Bangkok on a Monday evening, obtain a 12 Month Multi without hassle and return to pick up a van in Bangkok at 4pm on the Thursday. Although I've read about it, apart from a re-entry at Vientiane 15 years ago (30 day exempt) I've never obtained a 12 Month Multi anywhere outside the UK.

Now the UK has gone over to E - Visa, it is no longer possible to get a Multi Entry O there - 3 months Single Entry only.

Actually, Brit Tim mentioned HCMC in an earlier reply but I dismissed it thinking the flights would be too expensive (without checking).

If Siagon/HCMC is similar to Savannakhet in its requirements for a 12 Month Multi then that price of 2400 return actually works out cheaper than Mukdahan which is currently around 1400 one way. Do you have knowledge of the Embassy in Saigon/HCMC?

Edited by KhaoYai

10 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I'm not stuck on Savannakhet, I'll consider all options. I just want the ability to leave Bangkok on a Monday evening, obtain a 12 Month Multi without hassle and return to pick up a van in Bangkok at 4pm on the Thursday.

Yesterday @doctorbailey posted a very comprehensive report of him applying in Yangon, Myanmar for a Multi-Entry Non Immigrant O - marriage Visa.

Attached the link >

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Yesterday @doctorbailey posted a very comprehensive report of him applying in Yangon, Myanmar

Yes thank you for that - I have just realised that you in fact, gave me detailed information on the HCMC option - sorry, I've been focusing so much on Savannakhet.

Sorry - @DrJack54I'm having problems with this site. On the previous post, once a I had posted your name, I could not write any content.

Anyway, can you tell me where you obtained the price of 2400 return? I can't get anywhere near that.

Edit: Forget that, I've found those prices on Nok Air - thanks.

Edited by KhaoYai

15 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Sorry - @DrJack54I'm having problems with this site. On the previous post, once a I had posted your name, I could not write any content.

Anyway, can you tell me where you obtained the price of 2400 return? I can't get anywhere near that.

No worries. I think post Peter Dennis forwarded and also britTim regarding Saigon are food for thought. 

Flights often are cheap if folk plan ahead.

I have met guys using bus from bkk to udon and I have flown similar price

22 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

cannot HCMC 2400 rtn now ...   maybe 3,500  but not sure ... certainly not under 3,200

Edited by steven100

14 minutes ago, steven100 said:

cannot HCMC 2400 rtn now ...   maybe 3,500  but not sure ... certainly not under 3,200

There are - I just checked.

Tuesday 3 March DMK to HCMC 1190 - promotion fare. Depart 07:35, Arrive 09:05 - Nok Air

Wednesday 4 March HCMC to DMK 1190 - promotion fare. Depart 20:45, Arrive 22:15 - Nok Air

For my purposes there is a potential problem with that as I would have to be at the embassy before 11:30 on the Wednesday - maybe can't be done/too risky.

I can't fly until Monday evening at the earliest but that puts the price up considerably.

Edited by KhaoYai

7 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Tuesday 3 March DMK to HCMC 1190 - promotion fare. Depart 07:35, Arrive 09:05 - Nok Air

Wednesday 4 March HCMC to DMK - promotion fare. Depart 20:45, Arrive 22:15 - Nok Air

For my purposes there is a potential problem with that as I would have to be at the embassy before 11:30 on the Wednesday - maybe can't be done/too risky.

I can't fly until Monday evening at the earliest but that puts the price up considerably.

In general, the risk of delayed arrival is less on early morning flights than on flights later in the day. I have flown to Ho Chi Minh City to apply for a visa with a similar arrival time in the past. The taxi from the airport to the consulate is pretty cheap as long as you know the correct taxi firms to use (and how to recognise the fakes). You actually have a pretty good margin with a 9:05 arrival, unless you are seriously risk averse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Wednesday 4 March HCMC to DMK 1190 - promotion fare. Depart 20:45, Arrive 22:15 - Nok Air

so thats 2400 ++  so probably about 2600 ....   if you can but thats not too bad ... good price .... Air Asia is about 2,900 ...i believe.  I like Vietnam ... we went there 2 week ago.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BritTim said:

In general, the risk of delayed arrival is less on early morning flights than on flights later in the day. I have flown to Ho Chi Minh City to apply for a visa with a similar arrival time in the past. The taxi from the airport to the consulate is pretty cheap as long as you know the correct taxi firms to use (and how to recognise the fakes). You actually have a pretty good margin with a 9:05 arrival, unless you are seriously risk averse.

BritTim your advice is so spot on so often.

OP, there is a 7.30am AirAsia to Saigon. Sadly I'm on it this Saturday 

When you exit airport look toward left. There is taxi booth that will take you door to door. 200k dong. 10USD to consulate. You can make it but make sure all docs in order.

I sometimes fly back Saigon to bkk think 6.30pm again AirAsia.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP ,Whoops I overlooked something. Do you qualify for visa exempt entry? UK etc.

If you can't do e-visa or are not visa exempt then forget it.

I'm a British citizen - I presume that gives me 15 days entry without a visa? Do I have to be 'Pre Approved' though?

6 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I'm a British citizen - I presume that gives me 15 days entry without a visa? Do I have to be 'Pre Approved' though?

I'm jealous. Yes you go straight to pp control. Just turn up. Look to your left and you will see all the Canadians, USA, AU, NZ and many others getting visa on arrival. 

Actually I'm flying there tomorrow. 

Edited by DrJack54