BANGKOK

Posted (edited)

I would appreciate any recent information on obtaining a Multi Entry Non O Visa (based on marriage) from The Royal Thai Embassy in Vientiane. I tried to obtain information from the 'English' version of their website - which is 90% written in Thai language and couldn't make much sense of what was written in English.

I know it was the case not so long ago that Vientiane was fairly relaxed on documentation in much the same way as Savannakhet is - however, the one worrying thing that was in English on their website was the statement that Multi Entry Non O's are 'ONLY for Resident Applicants' (on the fees list) - is this correct?

What is the timescale? Is it as it used to be-  go early in the morning and pick up your visa the following afternoon? I seem to remember reports stating that an appointment system is now in place at Vientiane but I can't find a reference to it on their 'English' visa page.

If a visa (multi) is available - what are the requirements? Marriage certificate/copy of wifes Tabien Baan and ID card? Financials?

Vientiane would be preferential over Savannakhet due to very tight travel plans which necessitate flying to and from Udon Thani rather than doing the trip by road.

Edit: I have now found a different website from the consular section which is far better and shows the appointment system. However, it is asking for financials etc. I would still like to hear from those who've applied recently etc. as to what is actually required - rather that what is stipulated.

Edited by KhaoYai

As Joe says, Vientiane does not issue a multi entry "marriage visa".

• Thanks 1

obtain from savannakhet straight forward easy process just go middle of the week.

• Thanks 1

If you want to minimise trip duration, flying early morning to Ho Chi Minh City, getting your visa there, and returning late afternoon of day 2 is probably your best bet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I compiled a couple of earlier posts (dating from mid december 2019) containing the requirements and practical tips on how to apply for a Multiple Entry Non Imm O - marriage Visa in Savannakhet and HCMC.

Will PM you the info.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Savannakhet it is then - flights are more than double the price though (compared to Udon).

Thanks for the info all.

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

Savannakhet it is then - flights are more than double the price though (compared to Udon).

Thanks for the info all.

It is normal, if counting the pennies, to take a fly-ride service to Mukdahan on Nok Air or Air Asia rather than flying in to Savannakhet itself. Booked in advance, this is pretty cheap.

13 minutes ago, BritTim said:

It is normal, if counting the pennies, to take a fly-ride service to Mukdahan on Nok Air or Air Asia rather than flying in to Savannakhet itself. Booked in advance, this is pretty cheap.

My comments were made on the basis of flying to Mukdahan using the fly/ride service - as suggested by Ubon Joe. Not particularly counting the pennies but it is double the price. At the moment Nok Air have promotions on the Udon route - down to as low as 700 baht each way whereas Air Aisa to Mukdahan (their timings work better) are up at 1400 baht. Multipy by 2 for 2 persons and the price starts to rack up - there's also the hotels etc. Those flight prices are the base - before you go further into the booking and start getting charged for using the toilet etc. 😀

Still, around 16 - 17k baht including hotels, visa fee etc. so not a fortune.

Arrival into Mukdahan will probably be late on a Monday evening - probably too late to cross over into Laos. Does anyone have details of any bus/van services from Mukdahan to the border and on to the consulate once in Laos?  Hotel in Mukdahan close to the bus/van pick up point?

21 minutes ago, MotocyAdventurer said:

As of January 1, can we still get Visa on Arrival at border Mukdahan-Savannakhet for entry to Laos?  Any changes as we enter 2020?

Yes you still can get Lao visa on arrival when entering Laos. You can also apply for it online now. See: https://laoevisa.gov.la/index

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Thanks for the info all.

You can Always DRIVE To Mukdahan,I Do it in about 5 Hours from Nong Khai....And That is NOT Driving like a Lunatic !!!

Edited by Nong Khai Man
More Added

Posted (edited)
On 1/8/2020 at 5:13 AM, Nong Khai Man said:

You can Always DRIVE To Mukdahan,I Do it in about 5 Hours from Nong Khai....And That is NOT Driving like a Lunatic !!!

The trip will not be from Nong Khai - it will start and end in Bangkok. I've done Bangkok to Yasothon before so I'd guess that Bangkok to Mukdahan is over 10 hours - no thanks!

Following Savannakhet I have a further trip (driving) from Bangkok to Buriram then Buriram to Hua Hin - all in the same week. To make that work (and not fall down dead) the first part to Savannakhet and back, has to be by air.

Edited by KhaoYai

16 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

The trip will not be from Nong Khai - it will start and end in Bangkok. I've done Bangkok to Yasothon before so I'd guess that Bangkok to Mukdahan is over 10 hours - no thanks!

Following Savannakhet I have a further trip (driving) from Bangkok to Buriram then Buriram to Hua Hin - all in the same week. To make that work (and not fall down dead) the first part to Savannakhet and back, has to be by air.

I don't get it. Start bkk? Go to Saigon ~2400baht return flight. Chilled place. Clearly I'm missing something.