Eight shots fired at Big Joke's car: Former immigration chief unhurt

webfact

Eight shots fired at Big Joke's car: Former immigration chief unhurt

464583.jpg

Two men on a motorcycle fired eight shots at the car of former chief of the Immigration Bureau Lt-Gen Surachate Hakparn in the Surawong area of Bangkok on Monday night.

The man known universally as Big Joke was not in his Lexus at the time. Manager reported that he was in an establishment having a massage at the time. 

Pictures in the Thai media showed eight bullet holes in the rear left side of the white car that had been parked in a soi in the area where there are many tourists. The bullet holes were at a low level.

A national police chief said that the incident would be investigated thoroughly and was bad for tourism. No motive was immediately apparent. 

An earlier report said that Bang Rak police were alerted to the shooting at 9.40 pm.

Last night deputy national police chief Pol gen Wirachai Songmettha was on the scene and at 2 am gave an initial briefing for the press at Pathum Wan police station in downtown Bangkok. 

He said that there were two assailants on a motorcycle. Both were wearing full face black helmets.

563000000162405.jpeg

The driver of the vehicle was wearing a cream jacket, long jeans and white canvas trainers. The pillion passenger was similarly dressed but with a blue jacket. 

The assailants went down Surawong road and turned into Soi Sarika before passing the Lt-Gen's private car and doubling back. Then eight shots were fired. 

The men then went to the Henry Dunant intersection and turned right towards the Sam Yan intersection. 

The car was being examined at RTP HQ by forensic teams. Both Bang Rak and Pathum Wan police are on the case.

A meeting to explain developments will be held today at 8.30 am. Lt-Gen Surachate will be interviewed. 

Pol Gen Wirachai said that the incident occurred in an area where there are a lot of tourists and was bad for the atmosphere of tourism. 

The area is home to the famed red light district of Patpong and much visited Silom Road, notes Thaivisa. 

big-joke.jpeg

Former chief of the Immigration Bureau Lt-Gen Surachate Hakparn. Image: Manager

Big Joke came to prominence as the deputy commander of the tourist police then chief of immigration and figured in a large number of high profile busts. 

The only way appeared to be up for the charismatic policeman until his abrupt fall from grace in April last year when he was removed from his job at the Immigration Bureau and redirected to a clerical job as special adviser in the Prime Minister's office.

Speculation was rife in the media and among the public but no explanation was ever given for the transfer. Big Joke kept a low profile for much of the rest of the year. 

Thaivisa notes that this incident is bound to stir up renewed speculation about his fall from power.

Source: Naew Na & Manager

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-07

290771.jpg.2690e1a21450d4f44ad5c6647df6ed62.jpg

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, tonray said:

They tried that...but it ended up deep fried and sold as Moo Tod 

I just knew that was going to be tossed out there. I almost included it my post as well. So true as they would see it as extra value added money especially with the Chinese New Year coming up..

56 minutes ago, Raymonddiaz said:

It's a mafia sign...just to make someone scare...They didn't want to kill him, just send a message...Can we know now why he was fired some months ago from his job..

Considering that he took his own vehicle and visited a place of certain activity in a  very public area, I suggest that  the basis of termination might have something to do with poor judgement and morals expected of a senior officer.

Despite what some on the forum  think about Thais, the senior members of society to try and maintain a veneer of upright morality and propriety.

10 minutes ago, Davo369 said:

???????? just wondering... if he had full body massage. 

I would imagine a poty contender will soon come along and let us all

know what is possible there.

Maybe even a clip?

16 minutes ago, gaikhao said:

Considering that he took his own vehicle and visited a place of certain activity in a  very public area, I suggest that  the basis of termination might have something to do with poor judgement and morals expected of a senior officer.

Despite what some on the forum  think about Thais, the senior members of society to try and maintain a veneer of upright morality and propriety.

And how do they maintain this veneer of upright morality and propriety - by shooting at people's cars? 

16 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

And how do they maintain this veneer of upright morality and propriety - by shooting at people's cars?

All a misunderstanding I'm sure.  ????

Could this have been a Serpico moment?

Always wondered why this image is so popular in Thailand.

serpico1.jpg.0b1c484e4028a87a251486fec0a54c01.jpg

Archived