BANGKOK
Pravda

Bangkok Air Pollution 2020

Yeah, it is super bad today. I am on Sukh 71 and can barely see buildings around Thong Lo. Anything further is shrouded in toxic mist. 😉

• Like 1

...aaannnnnddd 1 hour laterz.... I guess nobody cares 🙂

5tbNIcZ.jpg

If you think you will get a break coming to Pattaya, don't!

It is very bad here today also.

@Pravda I've pinned this thread. If it receives regular updates it will stay at the top of the forum.

• Like 1

Ho Chi Minh is "only" 102 by the AQICN.org and 93 by AirVisual. Believe it or not, Beijing is in the 40s-50s at various monitoring stations. KL the same as Beijing. Hong Kong in the 80s. Taipei in the 30s to 70s.

So Bangkok is No. 1 again.

Every morning I open my curtains and see the dark cloak of dirty air over what ought to be a rather spectacular view of the city. I am impatiently looking forward to leaving this all behind in the spring. 

• Like 1

Visually, it seems much better now, but the readings are still around ~170.

Yesterday, a bad morning got considerably better into midday and the afternoon. Have to see if today repeats that trend. The noon and 1 pm readings already are looking much better.

1446474217_2020-01-0713_09_43.thumb.jpg.50c751bd3a586a858b659eb31687c1d9.jpg

Pattaya and environs currently looking quite a bit worse than Bangkok.

741016620_AQI7-1-20.jpg.0a34579bec49216f4151205426666680.jpg

Posted (edited)

For whatever reason, for the last two days, the late night / overnight /  early morning hours in BKK have been very bad, but the midday and afternoon hours have improved considerably. Probably because of the winds picking up in the afternoons.

1016571960_2020-01-0713_13_27.jpg.eaa525b81d82dd419c887d057417b6ea.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Pravda are you next to a main road there? that is incredibly high

As the above states the winds can blow this stuff away and disperse it elsewhere, rain and spraying water has minimal influence over the seasonal issue of fluidised particles.

For me also this is not the same city I came to live in. This is like back in the 80/90's when I was travelling and we avoided the smoggiest of places. This could also be the deciding factor, I can tolerate the government and the I guess people now realise that maybe they should not be quite so happy about the military taking control of the country ( since it is structured for that purpose only ) but the air along with everyother bit of sensible environmental controls may well be the straw for me too

I don't understand why burning is not stopped

North of Hua Hin a short while ago, you can smell the smoke and see lots of bits of grass being burnt roadside in lots of small patches

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, manchega said:

I don't understand why burning is not stopped

Probably due to the perpetrators being poor farmers and therefore there's no incentive for the police to stop them as there's no money in it for the police. So we all continue to slowly suffocate. 

Like you, I love this city but I had enough. Packing as I type this and planning to leave Q2 2020 after many years. 

• Like 1