BANGKOK
Pravda

Bangkok Air Pollution 2020

On 3/19/2020 at 10:47 AM, MayPutThai said:

The point is, the Millions of house waste burner behind the house. They burn everything. So, how the Thai did over century. But the modern Thai burn even all the plastic and other <deleted>. This, on low Temperature produces a very good cocktail of very poison and cancer-generous gas like Dioxin (Seveso). 

Can you (or anyone) confirm that it is common for residential homes in BKK to burn everything outside?  I can see about 20-30 Thai homes from my condo in Onnut.  I have never seen any burning.  But sometimes in the morning I smell smoke. 

Thanks for sharing this perspective. 

28 minutes ago, DaveInSukhumvit said:

Can you (or anyone) confirm that it is common for residential homes in BKK to burn everything outside?  I can see about 20-30 Thai homes from my condo in Onnut.  I have never seen any burning.  But sometimes in the morning I smell smoke. 

Thanks for sharing this perspective. 

I've seen burning several times, but olnly Chinese-Thai burning Joss paper. My landlord does it regularly, but I don't say anything. Being a farang, I would be ignored anyway. Superstition over Science (and Safety) is one of the elements of Thainess.

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, DaveInSukhumvit said:

But sometimes in the morning I smell smoke.

We had this(?) smell 20 minutes ago. The PM2.5 meter went up to 200 ug/m3

from about 40 before. Someone was cooking lunch on a charcoal fire.

It's less expensive than gas ...

On 3/25/2020 at 12:30 PM, DaveInSukhumvit said:

Can you (or anyone) confirm that it is common for residential homes in BKK to burn everything outside?

It's not common in the Sukhumvit areas of Bangkok, but it can happen. The refuse collection in Bangkok is very good, so there is little need to burn refuse.