Thai tourism: The only way is up! And Chinese are the answer - 12 million more expected by 2030

webfact

Thai tourism: The only way is up! And Chinese are the answer - 12 million more expected by 2030

3pm.jpg

Thai caption: Thais get ready to welcome 23 million Chinese in ten years' time

Thai business media continued to be upbeat about the future of tourism in the kingdom. 

They said that the only way was up and that huge numbers of foreigners would be visiting in the coming years. 

And a great number of these would be Chinese. 

To support this idea Bangkok Biz News based their story on experts at Krungthai Compass.

The analysts said that in the next ten years Chinese people would be leaving China on foreign holidays at nearly 7% more each and every year. 

From the current level of 160 million travellers from China each year it would be 334 million by 2030. 

More Chinese were getting passports every day and their spending power was increasing. 

And Thailand was ready to get a slice of this action. 

The experts predicted that Thailand's tourism growth from the Chinese market would increase by between 5% and 7% per annum.

This would mean 23 million visitors to Thailand from China by 2030 - up from this years approximate 11 million. 

The media said that in the first ten months of 2019 Chinese visitors were up 3.6% year on year and their spending was up 5.5%. 

The great majority of tourist spending in Thailand is in Bangkok (41%), the South (40%) and the Eastern Seaboard (including Pattaya) at 14% of the total. 

Out of total tourist revenue 60% comes from the pockets of foreigners, they said. 

Source: Bangkok Biz News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-07

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least I can see where they have got there stats from: the number of Chinese passport holders should be just more than double therefore the number of visitors to Thailand should just more than double.

Too easy, give the figures to the TAT stats department. They'll add several percantage points to that.

I would also guess that as the number of Chinese doubles, the number of Western Europeans will halve. Don't ask me why, just a hunch.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Someone who still dreams in the future and loses sight of the present, tourism in Thailand has almost reached the bottom, if you don't do something NOW ... so long tourism!

4 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

Fairly obvious really.

Adjacent country.

large population.

Short flight to Thailand.

Growing economy.

Similar height!???? etc

Actually spot on although the height thing is probably not too relevant ????.  Of course the Chinese will come in great numbers and being a cheap deal for them it will attract all types of tourists including the budget tour group brigade.

Travelling in Europe you see them everywhere now, reminiscent of the Japanese in the eighties.  London also has thousands of Chinese tourists all year round.  It's the future folks, so best to embrace it, for now at least

1 hour ago, 30la said:

Someone who still dreams in the future and loses sight of the present, tourism in Thailand has almost reached the bottom, if you don't do something NOW ... so long tourism!

They will come. Don't worry.

It's no wonder that the Thai government is making immigration restrictions more difficult for the average expat in Thailand. With all of those figures that the people running Thailand have for surely seen, they know there's a new demographic to spend their money. That being said; I wonder if they think the "new Chinese tourist" is going to be dumb enough to put up with "dual pricing" and "scams" that so many other demographics have been putting up with for so long. I have a feeling they won't. Nobody likes to feel disrespected especially on holiday, and Thailand will need to do "more" to ensure these new Chinese visitors enjoy themselves other than giving lip service.

12 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Actually spot on although the height thing is probably not too relevant ????.  Of course the Chinese will come in great numbers and being a cheap deal for them it will attract all types of tourists including the budget tour group brigade.

Travelling in Europe you see them everywhere now, reminiscent of the Japanese in the eighties.  London also has thousands of Chinese tourists all year round.  It's the future folks, so best to embrace it, for now at least

They are infiltrating every country until the uprising in 2032 when China will rule the world.

You heard it here first folks...lol

5 minutes ago, Aspaltso said:

It's no wonder that the Thai government is making immigration restrictions more difficult for the average expat in Thailand. With all of those figures that the people running Thailand have for surely seen, they know there's a new demographic to spend their money. That being said; I wonder if they think the "new Chinese tourist" is going to be dumb enough to put up with "dual pricing" and "scams" that so many other demographics have been putting up with for so long. I have a feeling they won't. Nobody likes to feel disrespected especially on holiday, and Thailand will need to do "more" to ensure these new Chinese visitors enjoy themselves other than giving lip service.

Good point. The Chinese also have two tier pricing for foreigners. Especially some of the hotels as I have learned over the years.  I guess that most Chinese tourists visiting Thailand will come on package deals so probably won't be directly exposed to the double pricing that independent travellers are. 

I hope they hear up and improve the existing infrastructure as well as building a high speed railway system to cope as current trains are extremely slow and inadequate. Services together with a change of attitude towards foreign visitors will help , or only want to take their cash?

Archived