'Robin Hood' American arrested on three year overstay

webfact

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/7/2020 at 11:38 AM, webfact said:

But he lived like Robin Hood.

Eating venison and giving money to the poor? 

I can't see 'the PM Prayut Chan-Ocha, DPM Prawit Wongsuwan, RTP chief Pol Gen Chakthip Chaijinda and IB chief Lt-Gen Sompong Chingduang' indulging in this latter activity.

Any Thai people reading this thread must be laughing. Foreigners attacking foreigners. This is better than Sunday Muay Thai.

If ever the old adage 'united we stand, divided we fall' could be shown to be true, then it is this thread. Chinese, Indian communities are all incredibly successful here in Thailand as they are united in their support of each other. Even when they may personally disagree with the situation. Westerners though however take great joy in twisting the knife when one of their community falls on hard times or finds themselves in trouble. No wonder we are becoming an extinct species here, we are  helping to pull the trigger. 

2 hours ago, jonclark said:

Any Thai people reading this thread must be laughing. Foreigners attacking foreigners. This is better than Sunday Muay Thai.

If ever the old adage 'united we stand, divided we fall' could be shown to be true, then it is this thread. Chinese, Indian communities are all incredibly successful here in Thailand as they are united in their support of each other. Even when they may personally disagree with the situation. Westerners though however take great joy in twisting the knife when one of their community falls on hard times or finds themselves in trouble. No wonder we are becoming an extinct species here, we are  helping to pull the trigger. 

Or could it be that the people in question don't really care what nationality you are? Could it be that they think you should follow the rules, no matter if you're Thai, Indian, European or American?

I'm not going to pat someone on the back just because we happen to come from the same geographical region if I believe that the person has done something wrong. He knew the rules, he knew the risks and he decided to take them. It's a gamble, and in his case it didn't pay out.

He has my sympathies and he's definitely not a bad guy just for overstaying a visa, but I'm not going to defend him when there are thousands of people, me included, doing everything to play by the rules.

It's the same with people who choose not to get a medical insurance. Fine by me, but don't complain when you have an accident and can't pay your hospital bill.

It's not about gloating or twisting the knife, it's about pointing out that they set themselves up for this.

On 1/7/2020 at 11:38 AM, webfact said:

the retiree loved Thailand so much that he wanted to live out his remaining days in the country.

Thailand is a Buddhist country. This certainly cannot be good Karma for the country. Historically, Thailand was never overtaken by a foreign power because, behind the scenes, they had protection from Portugal and France. All of their Royalty since the currently dynasty, if I'm not mistaken, have been educated in foreign countries. The Americans are the major reason why Japanese isn't a first or second language in Thailand. And the industrialization of Thailand has been a result of foreign investment. Without Westerners, Thailand would be like Africa. They should be more kind and permitting of foreigners so long as their language and culture isn't contaminated. Are there any Thais who can give their opinion on this?   

I was out of town so I'm late to this party but I'm commenting because I know this guy.  He lived in my Phra Khanong building for many years before he was forced out of his unit as it was being converted to a condo about 6 years ago.

MeeSawan 3, where he was apprehended is close by. 

He was a freelance teacher, teaching musical enrichment courses at several of the better international schools but as far as I know, never a full time faculty member.

He is a decent human being and most certainly not a thief.

I am bothering to write this as a counter to the ignorant, cruel and baseless speculations posted by the ever willing to accuse, try and convict Thai Visa Lords of Righteousness.  

No doubt, he is now a victim of circumstances of his own making.  He was always on the edge of broke, lived simply and day by day.  With the end of the era of easy and unlimited visa renewal, he and those like him who have made a life here on meager resources will find it difficult to avoid the tightening web of immigration enforcement.  It's really too bad as he was the kind who did far more good than most who stay here.

Archived