'Robin Hood' American arrested on three year overstay

webfact

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, legend49 said:

So the first slip up was 3 weeks ago when head Muppet of BIB told his staff to go easy on farang tourists we want their money.

Not sure someone staying illegally is seen as a tourist...

4 minutes ago, legend49 said:

Now he says the Junta trough feeders want us out.

Who is “us”? I don’t feel like someone wants me out ????

As Mr Mark's facial hair does bear a somewhat similar resemblance, I'm going to let the crack about Robin Hood slide this time.

Image result for errol flynn robin hood

Edit: The Thai language article doesn't call him Robin Hood, it just says he had to hide like Robin Hood. No criminal activity is implied. If they are looking for an analogy for someone hiding from the authorities, perhaps Anne Frank would be better.

42 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I’d rather think someone who is well off and not at the end of his life is not a burden. So let we both break the immigration laws? 

(btw: He is a criminal. Read the article.)

I think you were the one pointing out that he’s not well off. 

What crimes. The headline about Robin Hood is bizarre.

Robin Hood stole from the rich and gave to the poor.

Can't see any other charges against him.

Maybe this filthy Thai rag is making things

Anyway I gather from your avatar that you have been a 'criminal' back in the day. Chucking stones at glass houses or what!!??

In the Thai context, the expression "Robin Hood" has it's origins from Thai's that overstayed their visa in the US, usually by several years, even decades.

At least in those days it was unlikely that an otherwise law abiding person would get caught overstaying in the US and since there was no Immigration controls on departure there were usually no consequences either. It was almost a rite of passage amongst middle class Thai's that finished their studies in the US to then spend a few years working and saving money.

It's a bit ironic that Thai Immigration use the expression when they surely know where it comes from.

2 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Down to my last few months here now.

Can't wait to get back to civilisation!

well if its that bad, the airports are open 24/7. Why wait?

1 hour ago, madmen said:

So your gonna pay his next hospital emergency then? nope didnt think so !

just another law breaking grub and a burden to Thai society

What burden? If your sign up year for TV is any indication, then that man has been here far longer than you and doesn't deserve your flap of the mouth flack.

1 hour ago, DannyCarlton said:

I have, thus far, resisted the baying mob on TV saying that the government want rid of farangs but it's very hard to argue against this statement.

On this I will fully agree with you. As the looks of it is all coming from military junta who are the elite as well. 

1 minute ago, holy cow cm said:

What burden? If your sign up year for TV is any indication, then that man has been here far longer than you and doesn't deserve your flap of the mouth flack.

So what’s the threshold of years in the country that gives such immunity? I really wanna know how long I need until I can start breaking laws without having to fear someone’s “flap of the mouth flack”

Just now, welovesundaysatspace said:

So what’s the threshold of years in the country that gives such immunity? I really wanna know how long I need until I can start breaking laws without having to fear someone’s “flap of the mouth flack”

In most European countries you can start right away. HTH

welovesundaysatspace!!! You know what I mean

What about my username then? 

Nanneaw is a filthy rag!

Wearing no underwear outside the house is a CRIMINAL offence. 

Would you be happy to have a conviction over that?? Not every law broken is a heinous crime

So a person breaking laws is only considered a criminal when you find the crime heinous enough? 

In western countries, anyone can create an organization to help illegals but can that be done in Thailand?

Here are some organizations helping illegals in California.

https://www.immigrationadvocates.org/nonprofit/legaldirectory/search?state=CA

I read somewhere but can't remember the source now that there are supposed to be 150,000 Thai overstayers in the US. Robin Hoods is a Thai saying because so so many Thai overstayed in other nations in the past and that hasn't really stopped.

Thailand's laws are xenophobic and racist. You can also see this in the double-pricing and the national parks etc. It's hard to say Trump is so bad considering what the Thai government and its people do at times.

Personally, I support the crackdown in the US. I'd like to see all the Thai and other overstayers and a lot of the DACA kicked out. If that happens I can support Thailand more but until then, Thailand is the abuser. Americans react to Trump trying to keep Thais out but Thais don't give a hoot about people like this American guy and all the others, many who have lived her for a long long time, who face all sorts of hassles due to the xenophobic laws.

With that said, go do your 90 day renewal for the 20th time.

The bloke has smuggled Himself into the county with no obvious intention of leaving. He is caught and being sent back to the US.

Justice is done. I don’t see a problem. All countries the world over do the same thing.

2 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

The bloke has smuggled Himself into the county with no obvious intention of leaving. He is caught and being sent back to the US.

Justice is done. I don’t see a problem. All countries the world over do the same thing.

where does it say that? He's on overstay not illegal entry

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Yes, rules are rules but can be enforced in many different ways 

The biggest take away I see from all these instances where long-standing laws are being more consistently enforced, be it in immigration or for driving, is that the days of the old chestnuts such as This is Thailand, up to you, mai pben rai, the cash bung, the unwritten 'fee' and the brown envelope are all numbered.

There has been a sea-change in both how Thailand addresses endemic corruption and how Thailand is seen to be addressing endemic corruption. There will be less local variations on what is required or passes muster for an immigration formality pretty much the same was as the speeding or red light ticket in the post can no longer be subverted by a roadside cop with his hand out and the all-knowing farang enabler.

I am sure there's a few itching to boast about how they've been ignoring the traffic tickets and have renewed their insurance, etc, etc.. That's possibly a 'benefit' of not actually owning the vehicle or having moved house since one did but in the grand scheme of things, it's only momentarily rewarding and hardly clever. With regard to immigration issues, there will be a few itching to remind me of how using agents is still broadly enabled. It is their system and we, the foreign guest are only subscribers to that system and they can and will withdraw it when the time is right. For them that is.

Finally, there will be those who proclaim that corruption will never be eradicated because that's the way the people like it here. It's a grudgingly acceptable way of life for the older generations but there's a younger, more worldly generation that see it as grudgingly unacceptable. And there's more of them every day. The way I see it, rounding up 71 year-old overstayers is simply gathering the low-hanging fruit first as there's not a whole lot of foreigners, legal and illegal, compared to the amount of locals.

If being unable to pay off a cop or an agent becomes too unbearable, one can always relocate to Vietnam where the police and immigration are already weighing up your wallet, just like 'the old days' in Thailand.

14 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I really don't consider what he did to be a severe crime or does anyone need to smell the anti sentiment of OP Madmen's bad breathe over something that is nothing. It is a harmless action and misdemeanor at best. Not like he is stealing or joining in gang raping or molesting little kids.  But Madmen seems to support the Generals (who are anti us) who all seem to think that it is under the Holy No Good For nothing Law Breaking Foreigner who overstays and they should be exterminated.. And yes, there should be a criteria point of line of staying here for when you should be allowed to voice a real opinion. And a little over a year just aint it!

2 hours ago, webfact said:

In one of the media's most gloating stories about the arrest of foreigners they referred to the arrested pensioner as a "Robin Hood" and said "Game Over" in their headline after the arrest of the US "oldie".

They then said that everyone from the prime minister down wanted to rid Thailand of foreign lawbreakers and those taking Thai jobs and urged the public to report them on a hotline. 

Pay close attention folks.. The mood has shifted. 

1 hour ago, crazykopite said:

One day and it will happen ! all of us will be given our marching orders

Great, and when it does and our own governments wake up and start a little bit of quid pro quo with Thailand and make these <deleted> know it is not all one way traffic, the better!

I am all in favour of the UK government  ' mirroring ' these unfair rules and restrictions (passed by despots and military juntas) in Banana Republics and passing them on to the guilty countries, whose citizens are residing in our countries.

Give them a taste of their own medicine!

Stop pandering and appeasing these pillocks!

29 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

You've clearly never seen the inside of the Immigration Detention Centre then. 

Archived