'Robin Hood' American arrested on three year overstay

webfact

20 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Never been arrested or spent a second in a police station

I have a set of morals codes that I abide by, not some jumped up junta <deleted>

Stop babbling! You as well as everybody else have to play by the rules od Thai immigration. If that is jumped up from the junta or not is irrelevant.

It´s going to regard you too as well as everbody else. Then you can play your little game, by beeing a tough guy, and call it what you want. That does not change the fact, that there are laws you need to obey if you wish to stay without problems in Thailand.

A set of moral codes??? ???????????? 

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, crazykopite said:

One day and it will happen ! all of us will be given our marching orders

Said it years ago on TV while listening to the band of righteous talking about law and rules and how if you just abide by the requirements you'll be ok, my rear end ! An old bloke in a bar over 25 years ago gave me a very relevant piece of advice........" Don't have anything here you can't pick up and run away with, because one day you'll have to "........... Looks like that day's coming......

5 hours ago, webfact said:

They asked the public to report overstaying foreigners, those working without work permits and those working in 39 jobs that are reserved for Thais only.

39 jobs reserved for Thais only ???
It was 28 jobs on July 1st. So foreigners aren't allowed doing 11 things that Thai must do?
Please explain !!!

The article about the jobs reserved for Thais only: https://www.nationthailand.com/national/30348366

2 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Overstaying your visa has got to be the pettiest of crimes, totally victimless, yet they trot out the top brass and call in a photographer whenever they catch someone doing it.

it's victimless as long as the overstayer doesn't require medical help and runs a bills into the millions. this can sadly happen any time.

5 hours ago, BestB said:

Ok, I am all for people following the rules when it comes to visa, but at times must have compassion and common sense . Guy is the end of his life, clearly not well off , not a burden on society or government , most certainly not taking away any jobs or a criminal. How about being compassionate to find out why he overstayed, and perhaps fine him and offer some solutions instead of locking up and sending back as if he was some kind of international gun runner 

Compassion does not exist in Thailand in the exchange between immigration and foreigners....

as well know we are are looked upon a tick and must be removed.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Naew Na then said that the arrest was part of the policy from the top to rid Thailand of unwanted foreign lawbreakers. They mentioned PM Prayut Chan-Ocha, DPM Prawit Wongsuwan, RTP chief Pol Gen Chakthip Chaijinda and IB chief Lt-Gen Sompong Chingduang as ordering this. 

Also known as the Sheriff of Rottingham and his henchmen.

18 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

What do you suggest, exempt him from having to have a visa?

No, if you did not cut up my post , you would have read , perhaps fine him and see what are his options and why he overstayed

Just now, Just Weird said:

He will be fined and his options are what the law allows.  The reason for his overstay is irrelevant unless similar discretion is going to be given to everyone.

There is a big difference between a 30 year old , who is most likely working illegally and a 70+ year old with limited options and abilities and indeed discretion should be applied case by case 

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

That guy would have supported local people with his daily buying of things and rent. If the authorities made it easier to stay no need to overstay

It is as easy as it gets to obtain a prober visa if you want one.. Just be honest.. I have never had any problem obtaining visa. No need to go "below the radar" with overstaying your visa - unless you have something to hide ofcourse ... Good guys in-bad guys out... That's the deal and i actually like their way of handling this problem     

5 minutes ago, BestB said:
8 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

He will be fined and his options are what the law allows.  The reason for his overstay is irrelevant unless similar discretion is going to be given to everyone.

There is a big difference between a 30 year old , who is most likely working illegally and a 70+ year old with limited options and abilities and indeed discretion should be applied case by case 

So how exactly will your discretion get around the lack of a visa?  You won't answer the question, do you want him to be stamped in again, regardless, even if he is not in a position to qualify like the rest of us have to.  Perhaps you're saying that every foreigner over, say, 70 is exempted for visa requirements?  I'm just asking a reasonable question.

43 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Compassion does not exist in Thailand in the exchange between immigration and foreigners....

as well know we are are looked upon a tick and must be removed.

So just the same as every other country, then, for foreigners who don't have visas. Referring to Thailand specifically makes no sense.

10 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

So how exactly will your discretion get around the lack of a visa?  You won't answer the question, do you want him to be stamped in again, regardless, even if he is not in a position to qualify like the rest of us have to.  Perhaps you're saying that every foreigner over, say, 70 is exempted for visa requirements?  I'm just asking a reasonable question.

And what does my discretion has to do with it? Another attempt to troll or genuinely do not comprehend the meaning of compassion ?

again for the third time , reason for his overstay is unknown. And yes maybe in his situation fine him and arrange proper visa with a warning 

12 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

So just the same as every other country, then, for foreigners who don't have visas. Referring to Thailand specifically makes no sense.

No it is not and you can not possibly know as you have not been to every other country nor overstated in every other country.

other countries you are given fair hearing to hear why you overstayed and why you did not go back.

Archived