'Robin Hood' American arrested on three year overstay

webfact

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, BestB said:

And yes maybe in his situation fine him and arrange proper visa with a warning 

What?  Are you seriously suggesting that he should be provided with, say, a Non-O retirement extension after being caught on a 3-year overstay regardless of whether or not he meets the financial requirements?  

32 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

So just the same as every other country, then, for foreigners who don't have visas. Referring to Thailand specifically makes no sense.

I wasn't referring to the law... every country has their own which should be adhered to.

My post was referring to the lack of compassion shown and treatment of those who are found to be outside of the law.

6 hours ago, BestB said:

Ok, I am all for people following the rules when it comes to visa, but at times must have compassion and common sense . Guy is the end of his life, clearly not well off , not a burden on society or government , most certainly not taking away any jobs or a criminal. How about being compassionate to find out why he overstayed, and perhaps fine him and offer some solutions instead of locking up and sending back as if he was some kind of international gun runner 

He's an easy target, that's all. Dealing with real crime takes real effort, but that doesn't really appeal. Even in cases like this, they ask the public to snoop on foreigners instead of tracking down over-stayers themselves.

15 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

What?  Are you seriously suggesting that he should be provided with, say, a Non-O retirement extension after being caught on a 3-year overstay regardless of whether or not he meets the financial requirements?  

How about he is found, assessed financially and then given a court date.

After that the judge can decide how best to deport him and the relevant fine. 

At least gives him a chance to speak to relatives/friends and arrange money/personal belongings

Being sent to IDC is an absolute disgrace, especially for a pensioner!

1 minute ago, Sticky Wicket said:

How about he is found, assessed financially and then given a court date.

After that the judge can decide how best to deport him and the relevant fine. 

At least gives him a chance to speak to relatives/friends and arrange money/personal belongings

Being sent to IDC is an absolute disgrace, especially for a pensioner!

That's exactly what the procedure is in IDC!

You don't think that being here illegally for three years isn't an absolute disgrace?

Just now, Just Weird said:

That's exactly what the procedure is in IDC!

You don't think that being here illegally for three years isn't an absolute disgrace?

It's a victim less crime, it's just paper dodging, nobody was hurt. 

I meant they could stay in their homes until it was sorted.

This is a civil manner treated as criminal in a banana republic

I really hope western countries start persecuting Thais and taking all their land/property, making their lives hell.

It would give me great pleasure!

11 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I just hope the poor old fella has enough money to buy his ticket out. From what I have read and heard, the IDC is no place for anyone, least of all a 70 year old to spend any length of time.

He should have thought about that before he started his criminal activity.

6 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

It's a victim less crime, it's just paper dodging, nobody was hurt. 

I meant they could stay in their homes until it was sorted.

This is a civil manner treated as criminal in a banana republic

I really hope western countries start persecuting Thais and taking all their land/property, making their lives hell.

It would give me great pleasure!

This is incorrect.

He is in fact cheating the government out of money by not paying for his Visa.

Kind of like not paying your taxes which in some countries will land you in jail.

7 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

'Immigration' is a very hot-topic in many Western countries.

Yes but mainly because people who arrive in these western countries , are a burden on that countries welfare state .. 

no farang benefits from The Thailand government Financially , as far as I’m aware 

1 minute ago, Howiehotspur said:

Yes but mainly because people who arrive in these western countries , are a burden on that countries welfare state .. 

no farang benefits from The Thailand government Financially , as far as I’m aware 

Exactly , a foreigner can't get a penny out of the govt.

Never had a single penny off them for my Thai daughter in well over 10 years!

43 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Who told you his reason was financial requirements? 

7 hours ago, smedly said:

there is merit in what you say

Isn't merit what Thai's do at the local Wat, giving their hard earned dosh away in the belief that they will return, not like this poor old <deleted> trying to live a peaceful life. 

7 hours ago, madmen said:

So your gonna pay his next hospital emergency then? nope didnt think so !

just another law breaking grub and a burden to Thai society

Explain how he is a burden on Thai society.He is obviously spending money. Rent food possibly drink.

41 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

what criminal activity, I suppose you drool at 112 too????

Look. One day three years ago, this blokes visa expired.

He made a conscious decision to do nothing about it.

That contravenes the law. Rather like when you notice one of your tires is bald but decide to leave it until the end of the month risking a stop and fine. In the same way, he could have turned himself in within a set period, paid a fine, left the country without a ban, and come straight back. He made a conscious decision not to.

He, himself, put himself in this situation. It's no use blustering. There is not one expat in Thailand that doesn't know what happens if you deliberately overstay.

Now it's happening he can't be surprised at the consequences. Neither can anyone else.

You can cry inhumane all you like, but his choice was his own.

51 minutes ago, BestB said:

Who told you his reason was financial requirements? 

What else could it be?

DId he simply forget about overstaying for three years?

Was the way to the next IO too far?

Did he think, thai rules do not count for elderly farangs?

Or was it an act of heroic civil disobedience?

Archived