Inbound Coronal Mass Ejection

samuttodd

7 minutes ago, Stocky said:

There are actually about 26 volcanoes currently erupting and a further 10 considered active. Most are in remote places so they don't make the news. You're still away with the faeries. 

From the King of the faries spewing a hot load of     "If it is not on the BBC news it isn't real and must be false."     It must be confusing and frustrating to be unable to come to your own conclusions based on fact.   It's ok  Stocky,   We have a classroom with Geoscience coloring books and mother goose for you..

Edited by samuttodd
  • Like 1

Just now, samuttodd said:

From the King of the faries spewing a hot load of     "If it is not on the BBC news it isn't real and ust be false."    

You're still not addressing the critical issue. I'm a scientist, I'm actually a geologist, I deal in facts. You can download the historical seismic data from USGS, and the solar activity data from NASA, plot the two and show me the correlation between seismicity and solar activity.

8 hours ago, Stocky said:

You're still not addressing the critical issue. I'm a scientist, I'm actually a geologist, I deal in facts. You can download the historical seismic data from USGS, and the solar activity data from NASA, plot the two and show me the correlation between seismicity and solar activity.

I have it on good authority that you obtained your geology degree from a cheesy online undergrad program, where you pass a test on how to fold a paper roadmap properly.   I’d go as far as to say you are a complete geo buffoon.  

I’m strongly considering not inviting you to my birthday bash at this juncture .

Edited by samuttodd
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, samuttodd said:

I have it on good authority that you obtained your geology degree from a cheesy online undergrad program, where you pass a test on how to fold a paper roadmap properly.   I’d go as far as to say you are a complete geo buffoon.  

I’m strongly considering not inviting you to my birthday bash at this juncture .

Sheldon vs. Bert! 

15 hours ago, samuttodd said:

You just ducked the factual issue problem again. 

The only children's parties I go to are my grandchildren's.

On 1/14/2020 at 7:58 AM, samuttodd said:

Have you been asleep.    WE HAVE 4 VOLCANOES going off and have had 4 6plus earthquakes.  

Even if there were a correlation between CME's and seismic activity (which there isn't - see link below) there has been no evidence of a CME having reached the earth any time recently.

There is nothing on the NOAA's Space Weather pages, SOHO or LASCO web pages, which is where it would have been reported if it had happened. Nothing on spaceweather.com either.

The Sun doesn't cause earthquakes

This article makes the same point @Stocky does - that there is no historical correlation between solar activity and seismic activity.

16 hours ago, samuttodd said:

Check this out Stocky.

Yes I just did, so what has this to do with your original post?

The video takes two known geological phenomena, extinction events and magnetic reversals, then postulates the two are linked. It then takes the current evidence that the poles are wandering more than usual, and we might be nearing a magnetic reversal, and the current solar cycle; we're currently on the way down from the peak of solar activity during the 50s & 60s but we're still a long way off the solar levels of a Maunder Minimum. The video then tries to tie in what's happening with Betelgeuse, which is fading and there's speculation it could go supernova, (though as it's 180 light years away, if it does turn into a supernova for use to see tomorrow, it would have actually happened in 1840 not 2020!). Then the guy adds ancient civilisations and a sprinkling of CIA conspiracy for effect.

My comment on the postulated link between extinction events and magnetic reversals is to point out the difference in time scale. Mass extinctions, like the one that killed the big dinosaurs, occur every hundred million years or so, whereas magnetic reversals are fairly common in the geological time scale once every 500k to 1 million years approximately. The last one was about 780k years ago. My problem is, if that were so, mass extinctions would be far more common, and we shouldn't be here having this discussion. 

Whether there's any connection with evolutionary spurts, because changes in the magnetic shield allow more radiation to penetrate to the surface is a good question. Radiation is a cause of mutations, and mutations are important to evolution, but as geological time is measured in millions of years those evolutionary spurts are effectively continuous. As for a link with supervolcanoes, again evidence is hard to pin together, the video mentions Lake Toba in Sumatra, but that last had a major eruption just 70k years ago, so more recent than any magnetic reversal.

Importantly the video does not postulate any connection between solar activity and seismicity; as already pointed out, the wealth of historical data clearly demonstrates there is no link between them. 

Edited by Stocky

1 hour ago, samuttodd said:

Ben does a good job

Well he does a good job of spinning an article in Nature into a a 15 minute YouTube video that has little to do with the original. If you read the article, "Supercomputer scours fossil record for Earth’s hidden extinctions", then all it's saying is that because the fossil record is by it's very nature patchy, then it's hard to differentiate an extinction event from just a period where the fossil record is poorly preserved or represented. There's no suggestion in the article of any link with magnetic reversals. The quote highlighted, and taken in part as the title for the video "Such extinctions could turn out to be “a bad 100,000 years, or a bad week” for some groups of organisms but not others, he says." That's something already recognised, indeed if you consider the Chicxulub impact and the K-T extinction event then it's not a bad 100,000 years, or a bad week, rather a bad day!