Many inmates in Phitsanulok prison have abnormal heartbeats: minister

webfact

Many inmates in Phitsanulok prison have abnormal heartbeats: minister

By The Nation

800_f4ed52c625fb8b2.jpg?v=1578379964

Somsak Thepsutin

The Phitsanulok Prison has found more than 700 prisoners out of 3,500 having abnormal heartbeat rates, Justice Minister Somsak Thepsutin said on Monday (January 6) amid an ongoing investigation into the deaths of four prisoners.

He said 690 prisoners had 80 heartbeats per minute and 32 had 130 beats per minute, while 30 had a high level of thyroid hormone.

The minister has ordered the cause of deaths of the four prisoners to be examined from every aspect including food sanitation inside the prison.

Previously, the deaths were thought to have been a result of toxic goiter but a thyroid examination is expensive -- approximately Bt300 per prisoner -- and there are 370,000 prisoners in 146 prisons all over the country, he said.

He added that it was a failure of management that led to the deaths of the four prisoners.

A forensic team is checking if the deaths were caused by food poisoning. The results will take two weeks.

The minister warned of legal action against both food providers and the prison officials if it were a case of negligence.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30380234

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-07

18 hours ago, webfact said:

The minister warned of legal action against both food providers and the prison officials if it were a case of negligence.

Do not make me laugh. If they were the least bit concerned they would have done something about the overcrowded, unhygienic conditions decades ago. They do not care one iota about the prisoners. I would stake a years pension that no negligence will be found, in fact, give it a couple of weeks and the mound under the carpet will have got a little higher.

Im an American who used to work in the American prison system for 10 years (supermax and maximum) and I can tell you being in that environment will raise your heartbeat naturally. Prison is extremely stressful and I can only imagine how stressful life is in the Thai prison system!

Archived