Retirement Extension recommendation

Hello Everyone. After a lot of worrying, I got my 1-year retirement extension last month at BKK immigration.

I had two issues that could have given me big problems: I only had 11 months of bank statements showing international transfers; and, I'd used Transferwise all year to wire money from overseas, but several of my bank statements were not coded properly to show they were international transfers.

I ended up using Siam Legal and was satisfied with their service. For anyone facing similar issues, I can vouch that, as least in my case, that they got the job done. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bangkokgalaxy said:

I had two issues that could have given me big problems: I only had 11 months of bank statements showing international transfers; and, I'd used Transferwise all year to wire money from overseas, but several of my bank statements were not coded properly to show they were international transfers.

First of all, congratulations. Its good to note the IO was flexible with the financial side (maybe with the help of Siam Legal). Do you now know why some of your transfers didn't have the International transfer coding and how you need to correct it the next twelve months transfers?

• Like 1

Was your original visa an O or and OA?

Was the cost of the legal help reasonable?

There is a Facebook group dedicated to Transferwise transfers and how to do it to get the desired international coding. That is if you haven't figured it out yourself already.

I originally had an O Visa.

For the first issue with TransferWise, my bookkeeper didn't properly allocate the transfers as "For long-term stay" and they coded several as domestic transfers. To get documentation, I went to my bank, Bangkok Bank, and got a letter showing all the properly coded transfers were from the US. Then, I went to Kasikorn (the partner, 'pass through' bank used by Transferwise) and got a letter showing that the improperly coded transfers were indeed international because money flowed from the USA, to Kasikorn to Bangkok Bank. 

For the second issue, the IO showed leniency on my only having 11 total transfers (I missed Jan 2019). 

Siam Legal wasn't exactly cheap (30k), but it worked. I was ready to give up after another local legal firm (to remain unnamed), told me there was no way an IO would bend on either of my issues. So, whatever happened it worked. And I didn't have to fly back to the USA to get an OA, along with Thai health insurance, etc. So, I'm happy.  

3 hours ago, bangkokgalaxy said:

I originally had an O Visa.

For the first issue with TransferWise, my bookkeeper didn't properly allocate the transfers as "For long-term stay" and they coded several as domestic transfers. To get documentation, I went to my bank, Bangkok Bank, and got a letter showing all the properly coded transfers were from the US. Then, I went to Kasikorn (the partner, 'pass through' bank used by Transferwise) and got a letter showing that the improperly coded transfers were indeed international because money flowed from the USA, to Kasikorn to Bangkok Bank. 

For the second issue, the IO showed leniency on my only having 11 total transfers (I missed Jan 2019). 

Siam Legal wasn't exactly cheap (30k), but it worked. I was ready to give up after another local legal firm (to remain unnamed), told me there was no way an IO would bend on either of my issues. So, whatever happened it worked. And I didn't have to fly back to the USA to get an OA, along with Thai health insurance, etc. So, I'm happy.  

Thanks for the additional info. I might suggest a plan B (If necessary) to get a non-O visa either from a nearby country or inside Thailand. The 1 year extension and financial requirements are the same as an O-A and there is no insurance requirement.