500 artesian wells to be drilled to tackle water shortage

snoop1130

On 1/9/2020 at 9:25 AM, impulse said:

Not disagreeing that there's always a massive opportunity for skimming on Thai government projects. 

But $200K USD for a municipal well that serves an entire community at (for example) 4,000 liters per minute is pretty cheap.  They're not drilling household wells.

Edit:  It's also possible they're going very deep to get to previously untapped fresh water aquifers- to prevent screwing things up for all the small household wells.  That's not cheap, either.

http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTWRD/Resources/Somkid_Buapeng_Ministry_of_Groundwater_Resources_Thailand_Groundwater_in_Bangkok.pdf

How do you pump out 4000 liters per minute?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bobinkolat said:

Very True I live in a small village near Pakchong, we have a very limited amount of Piped water, within a few days of the statement sure enough a team arrived with there Machine & started with the borehole, I believe they went down about 85 mt Ran a 10inch diam pipe down, that was over a week ago, what we see is the pipe about 1m above the ground with the power cable tied round the pipe, have to say the village still has no water, we are waiting for the well water to be piped to our houses 

The 10" diameter is just a sheath

What is the size of the pipe coming out the top? The 1M piece?

The power cable is for a submersible pump on the other end of the pipe inside the well.

Probably the water piper that is attached to is only 1"

Most these can pump are 40-50L/per minute

Just did the same thing myself in Isaan in Dec.

10" sheath outside, then 8" sheath, water line was inside that with a submersible 50L/minute electric pump

Went down to 80m.

2000L holding tank

Total cost was around 38,000.

The well head is where the red rag is.

You can see the power cable routing up the pole and over the house where there is a switch installed and hooked to the breaker

Roof, structure, concrete all extra but all the labor was done by FIl and BIL and friends

_DSC7336.JPG

Edited by bwpage3
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

How do you pump out 4000 liters per minute?

Big pump... 

That's a fairly typical municipal water well, often set at 300+ meters, to get away from surface water contamination.  The pump and motor alone would typically cost $200,000 USD with the total drilled well costing upwards of $1,000,000.  We also sold dewatering pumps to mines using 2,000 HP motors where the borehole pumps themselves cost over $1,000,000.  And that doesn't include $5,000,000(+) for drilling a 24" hole to 1000 meters and setting 20" pipe.

So when someone claims $200K is a lot of money for a municipal well, I chuckle.  Sure, it's a lot for a household, or even a neighborhood well.  But when they talk about drilling 500 wells to mitigate a nationwide drought, they're not talking about drilling small wells.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, impulse said:

Big pump... 

That's a fairly typical municipal water well, often set at 300+ meters, to get away from surface water contamination.  The pump and motor alone would typically cost $200,000 USD with the total drilled well costing upwards of $1,000,000.  We also sold dewatering pumps to mines using 2,000 HP motors where the borehole pumps themselves cost over $1,000,000.  And that doesn't include $5,000,000(+) for drilling a 24" hole to 1000 meters and setting 20" pipe.

So when someone claims $200K is a lot of money for a municipal well, I chuckle.  Sure, it's a lot for a household, or even a neighborhood well.  But when they talk about drilling 500 wells to mitigate a nationwide drought, they're not talking about drilling small wells.

These will be 1" pipe wells with the majority of money disappearing into people's pockets.

Some one actually stated a well as such was started in their town; not the gigantic well you are dreaming of.

Do you actually think they would drill wells if there was nothing in it for them? Come one man, this is Thailand.

The Great Flood of 2011, Thailand had to borrow all those flood pumps from Japan, many of which disappeared.

Thailand doesn't even have the technology you refer to.

You think 500 wells can appease a population of 70,00,000?

Where did the number 500 come from?

Let's see. There are 76 provinces in Thailand.

That means 6.5 wells for every province.

Nakhon Rachisima Province is over 7,600 square miles by itself

You think 6.5 wells is going to cover it?

Nothing more than corruption same as always. The entire idea of 500 wells is ridiculous.

Remember all the millions spent to build new police stations only they didn't build any?

How about the 100's millions on Fake Bomb Scanners?

Low altitude Airship Blimps that can't fly in the rain and cant get out of range of gunfire that never flew a mission.

Same concept, different way to make money.

They are talking about small wells

18 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Thailand doesn't even have the technology you refer to.

My job in Thailand had me looking after over 100 borehole pumps, up to 500 HP each.  Some produced water, others produced oil.  The smallest was 100HP.

Sold to me by Thai people.  Installed by Thai people.  Maintained on a daily basis by Thai people.  World class Thai people.

If you're wrong on that, how much of the rest of your rant is just Thai bashing?

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Should start investing in seawater desalination plants instead of submarines.... but this is the kind of nonsense to be expected by a military regime whose leaders are still obsessed with communist threats, evils of foreign education and old stories about wars won on elephants.

2 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

Should start investing in seawater desalination plants instead of submarines.... but this is the kind of nonsense to be expected by a military regime whose leaders are still obsessed with communist threats, evils of foreign education and old stories about wars won on elephants.

I don't disagree with that in the long haul, but Thailand has a lot of untouched groundwater that's just a little deeper than what they're tapping now.  It's a little too deep to be economical for irrigation, but still a lot cheaper than desalination. 

That said, when it takes 2500 liters to grow a kg of rice that sells for a few baht at the mill, any groundwater is too expensive for irrigation.  Rice is profitable only because Thailand gets so much rain.  It's that 2nd and 3rd annual crop they're trying to eke out that's creating the water issues.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, impulse said:

My job in Thailand had me looking after over 100 borehole pumps, up to 500 HP each.  Some produced water, others produced oil.  The smallest was 100HP.

Sold to me by Thai people.  Installed by Thai people.  Maintained on a daily basis by Thai people.  World class Thai people.

If you're wrong on that, how much of the rest of your rant is just Thai bashing?

I never installed 100 hp motors on up. But worked around them and hired company’s to change them out when needed. As I recall 100hp is not that big and we used to buy rebuilds pretty reasonable or have them rebuilt. 230-460 volt 3 phase. For pumping water we used direct coupled centrifugal pumps. They were not that expensive either if I recall. I supplied the variable speed controllers and wrote the software to integrate them into a system. I only know that part of the equation. Drilling and the rest may push the price up considerably. If getting them from China then I would assume pretty reasonable. Getting power to the sites to run a set up like that if in the boonies would be expensive I would imagine. 200K is probably in line, But I only know about a small part of the cost involved.

Also I have seem motor rebuild shops all over Thailand. And some big motors in the shops. So it can be done in Thailand for sure.

Edited by garyk

4 hours ago, impulse said:

Read the facts and provide some evidence you looked after anything? World class Thai people? LOL!

Don't start crying Thai bashing when you don't want to admit to the truth.

You don't provide an answer for how 500 wells is sufficient for 76 provinces? Do you have an answer?

In 2011 you couldn't find a large pump anywhere, ( all came in from Japan) so your claim you looked after 100 is probably not true, you are welcome to submit some evidence as to where and when? Are you talking off shore pumps? Still waiting to see a well pumping 4000 liters a minute. Where exactly are they in Thailand?

Thailand has had massive droughts for at least 30 years that I can remember and they keep getting worse.

Now if you were smart, you would ask yourself why do the drought's keep getting worse?

The answer is because no one does anything about it and there is no equipment to do anything about it even if they did

Do you understand the governments claim of 500 pumps for 76 problems and how ridiculous that is?

Do you understand how ridiculous spraying water into the air to think you are going to dissipate air pollution is?

If you took the land mass of one province, Nakhon Rachisima at 7600 square miles and installed 500 wells in that one province, they would be 15 miles apart.

4 hours ago, impulse said:

I don't disagree with that in the long haul, but Thailand has a lot of untouched groundwater that's just a little deeper than what they're tapping now.  It's a little too deep to be economical for irrigation, but still a lot cheaper than desalination. 

That said, when it takes 2500 liters to grow a kg of rice that sells for a few baht at the mill, any groundwater is too expensive for irrigation.  Rice is profitable only because Thailand gets so much rain.  It's that 2nd and 3rd annual crop they're trying to eke out that's creating the water issues.

The rice crops are not causing the drought.

Good grief!

2 hours ago, khwaibah said:

With 76 provinces and (1) province Nakhom Rachisima at 7600 square miles, how did the government come up with the number of wells at 500?

That it 6.5 wells for every province.

At 7600 square miles, 6.5 wells wouldn't solve any water shortage crisis.

That is one well every 1100 miles

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

No, but using 1400 litres of water to produce a single kg of rice in times of reduced rainfall would certainly exacerbate any drought

It all depends where the 1400 liters of water are coming from?

Some people are smart enough to have their own wells

9 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Read the facts and provide some evidence you looked after anything? World class Thai people? LOL!

Don't start crying Thai bashing when you don't want to admit to the truth.

You don't provide an answer for how 500 wells is sufficient for 76 provinces? Do you have an answer?

In 2011 you couldn't find a large pump anywhere, ( all came in from Japan) so your claim you looked after 100 is probably not true, you are welcome to submit some evidence as to where and when? Are you talking off shore pumps? Still waiting to see a well pumping 4000 liters a minute. Where exactly are they in Thailand?

Mubadala, Kris Energy, Ophir, PTT and Coastal Energy all use big submersible pumps in Thailand.  There's probably more I don't even know about.  Most offshore, some onshore.  Sold out of Songkhla and Sattahip, by Thai people.  Installed by Thai people.  Daily maintained by Thai people.  I'd bet dollars to donuts that any major gold mines in Thailand used huge pumps to dewater the mines.  I promise you the refineries around BangNa use pumps that far exceed 4000 liters per minute.

Nobody's claiming they're going to provide all the water needs of 76 provinces with 500 wells.  But they just need to supplement what's already available.  They may already have 99% of the water they need, and those 500 wells are going to push them over the 100% mark.  Water's like money.  If you need 10,000 baht for rent, and only have 9,500, you don't need to scrounge up 10,000 baht.  You just need 500 baht.  But you do need it...

Edited by impulse

On 1/8/2020 at 4:31 AM, Matzzon said:

Yep, now he really solved the problem! This is a rather textbook case of insanity. Drought is a problem because the gound water level is at a record low! 

What Idea does this mastermind get then? Oh yes! Let´s make 500 artesian wells and get rid of that little left of the ground water that actually still exist.

Great job Prawit! Your planet it very greatful, and will return your wonderful deed in a suitable way. :cheesy:

Yep, but in the meantime, he collects the kickbacks from placing the orders.

Nice work if you can get it.

On 1/17/2020 at 6:10 AM, bwpage3 said:

The 10" diameter is just a sheath

What is the size of the pipe coming out the top? The 1M piece?

The power cable is for a submersible pump on the other end of the pipe inside the well.

Probably the water piper that is attached to is only 1"

Most these can pump are 40-50L/per minute

Just did the same thing myself in Isaan in Dec.

10" sheath outside, then 8" sheath, water line was inside that with a submersible 50L/minute electric pump

Went down to 80m.

2000L holding tank

Total cost was around 38,000.

The well head is where the red rag is.

You can see the power cable routing up the pole and over the house where there is a switch installed and hooked to the breaker

Roof, structure, concrete all extra but all the labor was done by FIl and BIL and friends

_DSC7336.JPG

You got a great price on the well, here in Chiang Mai, everyone we know around us, Thai or farang, is paying 1,000 baht a meter. We just paid 32K baht for 32 metres (ground water is at 6 metres), add to that the cost of a deep well pump, 2k litres tank etc etc and it pretty quickly becomes a 60K project. We've never seen anyone get a bore hole drilled for less than that in seven years. BTW we took out all 90 degree bends and replaced them with slow turns, 2 x 45 degrees, plus we upgraded all our one inch pipe to 1.5 inch to reduce friction loss, it worked out really well.

Edited by saengd