Thais asked to shower less as drought worsens

snoop1130

4 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Does this mean a reduction in costs in the soapies?

When they shut them down we will know it is getting serious, they have done it before, probably 15 years ago.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, djayz said:

It's all fine and good to urge people, in this case farmers, not to grow this crop or that crop, but, the government must provide an alternative.

Good point, its like telling someone not to go to work for months and earn no money, least if they have a crop there is a chance of making some money!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, impulse said:

There's lots of valid reasons to hate Songkran's water throwing. 

Wasting water isn't one of them when it takes 2.5 tons of water to grow one kg of rice and 10 tons of water to grow one kg of beef.  I'll forgo one burger and the kids in my neighborhood can have fun throwing all the water they'd throw in a decade.

You can't eat / sustain yourself just on water. We need to eat. So, if we forgo eating rice and meat, what do you suggest we eat? Obviously, it'd have to be a food that requires less water. 

Edited by djayz

34 minutes ago, djayz said:

All joking aside. I plan on building  a garden shed and chicken coop in the coming year. For both projects I've been wondering what is the best and least expensive way to build rainwater storage tanks. Would it not be easier, more efficient and eventually less expensive if the government subsidized such water holding tanks on farmers' lands and maybe even private households? 

If my calculations are correct, both should be able to hold approx. 37 000 l each, giving me about 74,000 l stored water. That's quite a lot for a small holding. Imagine if every home and farm in Thailand stored the equivalent. The bigger the farm, the bigger the water storage tanks. 

I simply can't understand why the people don't store more during times of plenty. 

private households? 

any idea what 74 tonnes of water looks like?

Just now, djayz said:

You can't eat / sustain yourself just on water. We need to eat. So, if we forgo eating rice and meat, what do you suggest we eat? 

Honestly, I've never met an expat that couldn't forgo one burger a year.  Some of them, one a day.

2 minutes ago, jastheace said:

private households? 

any idea what 74 tonnes of water looks like?

Yes, I have an idead of what those tanks would look like. The neighbour has 3 of 'em at the end of his house. His hold more than 70,000l. 

Obviously I wasn't very clear in my comment. I meant households with some garden or yard space which could be used to build tanks on. Ideally, all new houses would be required to bury the tanks underground, thus saving space in the garden and yard.