Thais asked to shower less as drought worsens

snoop1130

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

Honestly, I've never met an expat that couldn't forgo one burger a year.  Some of them, one a day.

I don't think it's expats eating burgers that's the problem. ????

Back to my original point, if the government were to iffer a form of financial assistance to every house in the country to build a rain water storage tank, I strongly believe that this panic and worry in times of drought could be seriously alleviated. 

8 minutes ago, djayz said:

Yes, I have an idead of what those tanks would look like. The neighbour has 3 of 'em at the end of his house. His hold more than 70,000l. 

Obviously I wasn't very clear in my comment. I meant households with some garden or yard space which could be used to build tanks on. Ideally, all new houses would be required to bury the tanks underground, thus saving space in the garden and yard. 

ok i get it.

however rain harvesting tends be be difficult in periods of.......... drought.

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

This is a ridiculous statement, showering is essential for everyday life.

What is wasteful is the Songkran festival where people throw water at others just for 'fun'.

They should ban water throwing during Songkran instead.

How could suggesting a reduction in today's water usage be more ridiculous than suggestion a reduction in water use for a holiday 4 months away?

6 hours ago, djayz said:

It's all fine and good to urge people, in this case farmers, not to grow this crop or that crop, but, the government must provide an alternative. Otherwise, the farm is faced with a dilema. 

And why must the government do that? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CGW said:

Might need a pipeline & a good few billion investment and many years to build the pipeline might be one limiting factor?

Ah but as head of the crisis mangement team, he could place that on a priority action list.

Except the pipes need water for the manufacture of them

9 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“Please all help save water. Turn off all the taps. Use less water,” Prayuth said. “Reduce tooth-brushing and shower time by one minute.”

Sounds like "The Generals" recently received a tip to invest in the perfume, deodorant and dental care business.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, djayz said:

Yes, I have an idead of what those tanks would look like. The neighbour has 3 of 'em at the end of his house. His hold more than 70,000l. 

Obviously I wasn't very clear in my comment. I meant households with some garden or yard space which could be used to build tanks on. Ideally, all new houses would be required to bury the tanks underground, thus saving space in the garden and yard. 

I have seen any discussion about grey water recyling for either new build houses or condo blocks, especially for gardens, and toilets.

Integrated on new builds is inexpensive and can also use reed filtration.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

That allows me to lovingly and sensually stroke and soap my entire naked, glistening, jiggling and blubbery body over and over and over and oooooooooover

This sounds an awful lot like Harvey Weinstein talk! ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

We were all waiting for his solution to the problem, and what measures he would implement to tackle the drought problem. Now we have our answer.

It was exactly as we thought. He didn´t have a clue and as usual just let his mouth run at the same time making a joke out of himself.

But watch for this COMING SOON: Prayut appoints a Water Reduction Committee. Names himself as chair.

Or maybe writes a song.

• Haha 1

Incredible ????

Prayuth said. “Reduce tooth-brushing and shower time by one minute.”

We were studying climate change and weather in geography with my Year 6 class last term and these were some of the simplistic and rather unhygienic answers some of the kids suggested. We concluded that something like this was ultimately unfeasible and people would soon forget, therefore making little difference.

The man clearly does not think before he speaks. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yes, but....

--Soapy massage parlors and their profligate water use will remain untouched.

--rice farmers can continue to drown their fields in as much water as they can find.

--and the Thai beer industry can continue to siphon off millions (billions?) of gallons of water to make their lousy brews.

--ya, add national Song Kran water wasting into the list also...

Other than that, everything is in CRISIS!!!

Rice cultivation actually consumes a lot of water, but that of maize  even more;
and I see more and more culture of this vegetable ..
In fact the Thais completely ignore government directives; the only thing that interests them is: me, me, me first ...

You forgot all  the golf courses ;

only  a single golf course uses as much water per day as an average city of 30,000 inhabitants;
and you also forgot about the hundreds of thousands of car wash facilities ...

without counting all the individuals who wash their car or pickup at home;
I ride a MTbike every morning and not a day goes by without seeing these establishments or individuals washing their vehicles with plenty of water

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, thooktong said:

Prayuth said. “Reduce tooth-brushing and shower time by one minute.”

And thai government will THEY USE LESS water (reducing tooth brushing may not help very much 555 and still useful)????

Good point, how long does it take to clean one tooth ? LOL

• Haha 2

Time to buy some de-salination plants. Here in Perth  a lot of our water comes from the de-salination plants. Got too many people here now. Presume rice growing and Songkhran will carry on as usual and maybe spraying water in the air when the smoke comes.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, impulse said:

I'd give up rice first.  Or just cut back.  Takes 2500 liters to grow 1Kg.  That's about 10 showers worth of water for a small bowl of rice.

I'd be more inclined to give up meat produced from the torture, abuse, exploitation and death of animals.  Animal agriculture is the major water user. Estimated at 5000 - 20000 litres to produce 1 kg.  Not to mention that it takes about 6kg of plant protein to produce 1kg of animal protein. It is ridiculous to suggest that reducing tooth brushing time will save us from disaster.

FB_IMG_1575507469987.jpg

FB_IMG_1562542008838.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CGW said:

Might need a pipeline & a good few billion investment and many years to build the pipeline might be one limiting factor?

Better spend on decent water than a 20 billion sky or monorail or subway system around pattaya...

They are in favour of, but not decided where it goes yet.

But 20 billion baht...

20200107_193901.jpg

Edited by dallen52
  • Thanks 1