Thais asked to shower less as drought worsens

snoop1130

11 hours ago, impulse said:

I'd give up rice first.  Or just cut back.  Takes 2500 liters to grow 1Kg.  That's about 10 showers worth of water for a small bowl of rice.

Average freeflow shower gets through roughly 25 gallons

( US ) in 10 minutes, that's about 100 litres.

Edited by overherebc

49 minutes ago, shackleton said:

Well it would be better to stop or at least restrict   the water activities at Songkran

But as we all know this would affect the Tourist numbers 

So wont happen as Tourists number one priority 

At least restrict it to the water guns and bàn the use of fire hoses spraying down every vehicle that goes by

13 hours ago, thooktong said:

Prayuth said. “Reduce tooth-brushing and shower time by one minute.”

And thai government will THEY USE LESS water (reducing tooth brushing may not help very much 555 and still useful)????

That seems to imply they let the water run as they brush. That is a big NO NO. Yikes!

4 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Ah but as head of the crisis mangement team, he could place that on a priority action list.

Except the pipes need water for the manufacture of them

But I think we need 'bullet' trains first....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, djayz said:

If the government tells these people not to grow a second crop of rice, and thus face even greater financial hardship, then the politicians must come up with an alternative - otherwise they won't be in office too much longer. 

It's one thing for the masses to be poor, but another when they are poor AND hungry. 

Must must must.....farmers are free to grow any other crop or start another career..

And if they keep on using much much water so BKK has nothing to drink we might start boycotting thai rice.....let's see how they like that with their must must must.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Forum members living in urban areas may not realize this but in many regions of Thailand ground water depletion is a major problem.

And yet, here's the national government in the OP here talking about a big campaign of drilling more groundwater wells and sucking up more groundwater, to make up for the reduced reservoir and river levels.... 

• Like 1

On the bright side of all this: all Thais can witness now the three submarines, bought by the wisdom of the former junta (i.e. today's government) in its natural habitat - yet without getting wet feet. Now how is this for a change? The Thai taxpayer gets the opportunity to witness, what in all this wise foresight was done with the scare tax money. The elder folks might be brought to the berthing sites by one of those tanks which were also recently ordered - again with compliments of the ignorant tax payer. 

Obviously there is no loose change left now for some irrigation ideas. Latter floated by another dinosaur named Chavalit Yongchaiyuth who, in the late 80s, went all over the land with his "Green Isan" or "อีสานเขียว". The joker still bolts and roars once in a while, although he actually should have been booked and the keys thrown away for good. 

Who is to blame? The Thais and the Thais only as they never query authority or take the government to prove the responsibility the voters had entrusted them with ........ 

32 minutes ago, fruitman said:

so BKK has nothing to drink

It is exactly this attitude that has divided the natuon into "Bangkok" vs "the rest of the country". 

There is more to a country than just its capital. 

13 hours ago, EricTh said:

Why don't Thailand import more water from neighboring countries where there're lots of water?

Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia. Are these countries awash in surplus water, I wonder. China controls the Mekong as well as the neighboring countries.  Let's see if the Prayuth government has the guts to ban excessive waste of water in 4 months time.

50 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Must must must.....farmers are free to grow any other crop or start another career..

And if they keep on using much much water so BKK has nothing to drink we might start boycotting thai rice.....let's see how they like that with their must must must.

The mind boggles! I guess these farmers that live around here in rural Sisaket could always try growing cotton or wheat or maybe saffron.  Obviously all they have to do is sell any rice growing equipment (what? No one wants to buy it!) and purchase the gear needed to grow and harvest a different crop. Not to mention changing the landscape so their crops aren't flooded when it does rain. No problem, they are all so well off I don't know why they don't just move to Pattaya or Phuket and sit in a bar all day. But they're all so highly educated it would be easier to just take up a job as a lawyer, doctor, dentist or teacher, etc.

As I said, the mind boggles at some of the suggestions on this forum!

• Thanks 1

Also might help to temporarily shut down the gazillion massage parlors and so-called "Turkish baths" sprinkled across the kingdom, with almost every hamlet having its own soapy fun place to boot. Chauvinistic pleasure just needs to take a backseat when the country is dying of thirst.

Did you hear me, Mr. Surachate????!!!

"The man known universally as Big Joke was not in his Lexus at the time. Manager reported that he was in an establishment having a massage at the time."

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha on Tuesday urged people to turn off taps and shower less to cope with a drought afflicting northern and central Thailand.

A warning that is completely unnecessary to be given to Russians and Europeans. I suppose that is why he didn't encourage them to follow the recommendation while on vacation here.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Matzzon said:

We were all waiting for his solution to the problem, and what measures he would implement to tackle the drought problem. Now we have our answer.

It was exactly as we thought. He didn´t have a clue and as usual just let his mouth run at the same time making a joke out of himself.

Just seven or so more months until rainy season. Whaddya want?

1 hour ago, djayz said:

It is exactly this attitude that has divided the natuon into "Bangkok" vs "the rest of the country". 

Well there ain't much outside BKK, ricefields and pickups they can't afford to have.

And now the government must must must...they just gave new tractors to the farmers if they would stop poisoning the other folks but hey they started protesting against that.

Yes times are changing, these days we also have cars, electricity, internet, hospitals and so on...many people lost their jobs because of it but it also created many new ones.

And now the uneducated ones need all the other of the country to grow rice..yes rice...it aint healthy, takes loads and loads of water to grow, is cheaper at the neighbours, and there's plenty of other stuff to grow or import...which is also less toxic.

1 hour ago, djayz said:

The origin of the attitude is easy to understand once you visit the BKK grounds. Check out the palaces the officials used to have. Hasn't much changed in a few centuries.

12 minutes ago, fruitman said:

and pickups they can't afford to have.

I think you may have gone off topic slightly... 

I understand what you're saying, and to a certain extent it is true and a valid argument. However, one thing that a lot of city folk quickly forget is that without farmers there can be no food. 

Yes, times do change / are changing, but Thailand, like many developing countries, still relies heavily on  agriculture. Without it, there would be masses of people jobless, homeless and penniless. That many people can't be retrained overnight and made ready for these new jobs you talk about - even if they wanted to change. It's a slow process. If the masses are completely left behind, then things could get very serios. 

19 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Well there ain't much outside BKK, ricefields

Certain regions and soils are particularly suited to growing particular crops. You can't in all fairness expect them to stop growing rice and start using the rice paddies for something else (unless, of couse, the alternative crop is actually suitable for that area and soil). 

The EU has subsidized millions of farmers over the years and as a result, these people can earn a living, pay taxes from the sale of the products, send children to school, most of whom leave agriculture and take up other professions in new industry. Without these farmers, Europe would have to import a lot more food. What kind of short-sighted leaders would allow their countries to be solely relient on the import of food? 

10 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

The origin of the attitude is easy to understand once you visit the BKK grounds. Check out the palaces the officials used to have. Hasn't much changed in a few centuries.

True, but I am shocked to see fellow exparts sharing the same view/arrogance. 

7 hours ago, djayz said:

If the government tells these people not to grow a second crop of rice, and thus face even greater financial hardship, then the politicians must come up with an alternative - otherwise they won't be in office too much longer. 

It's one thing for the masses to be poor, but another when they are poor AND hungry. 

I don't disagree with what you are saying, however a little earlier my and the Mrs were watching one of the news channels, they were in Phichit, the Yom River is bone dry (literally) BUT a farmer has sown his second crop of rice, his well is dry, the river is dry and no doubt his crops will wither & die, he was asked not to plant, did he listen ? NO he didn't, so all that effort and waste of money - Seeds, for diddly squat, do I have sympathy ? a little maybe, but why didn't he listen to the advice given to him and others ? 

So what should the (any) government do? answers on the back of a postage stamp please.

Google Yom river - it's over 700 km long. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1