Thais asked to shower less as drought worsens

snoop1130

13 hours ago, Number 6 said:

But I've come to the conclusion that farang absolutely don't like Thai food. The evidence is overwhelming.

Can't eat rice every bloody time. I ate Thai almost exclusively for the first 2 years or so, now only 2-3 times a month. Got fed up with the eternal rice.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Why are you suggesting I am lacking brains?  

I never suggested this, but if the cap fits :whistling:

You seem to be convinced that farmers should be growing "other" crops, I "suggested" that you should look into this further before stating what you did.

Do share what other crops the farmers should be planting?

Bear in mind that the majority of rice fields on the central plain and into Isan are not irrigated and will flood for a period of time every year during the monsoon season, then bear in mind that there is a brutal summer to contend with and most farmers have zero access to water for half the year throughout the dry season, what crops are you suggesting? also don't forget that nothing grows here without fertilisation and that the farmers have no money as they are financed in thanks for their servitude by the conglomerates that make the real money when rice is sold.

So, there is a crop that can survive being submerged under water for long periods, then thrive with zero water during the summer and is cheap and financed by "others" - looking forward to know what this magical crop is.

Thanks ???? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CGW said:

Bear in mind that the majority of rice fields on the central plain and into Isan are not irrigated and will flood for a period of time every year during the monsoon season, then bear in mind that there is a brutal summer to contend with and most farmers have zero access to water for half the year throughout the dry season, what crops are you suggesting? also don't forget that nothing grows here without fertilisation and that the farmers have no money as they are financed in thanks for their servitude by the conglomerates that make the real money when rice is sold.

So, there is a crop that can survive being submerged under water for long periods, then thrive with zero water during the summer and is cheap and financed by "others" - looking forward to know what this magical crop is.

Thanks ???? 

If it's so difficult, maybe they shouldn't be planting anything at all. Except maybe trees for a forest.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

If it's so difficult, maybe they shouldn't be planting anything at all. Except maybe trees for a forest.

I agree ???? makes perfect sense!

Do you want to tell them or should I?

The people that make the real money probably wont be happy though:shock1:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, CGW said:

I never suggested this, but if the cap fits :whistling:

You seem to be convinced that farmers should be growing "other" crops, I "suggested" that you should look into this further before stating what you did.

Thanks ???? 

Are you sure about your facts here?  I see the farmers pumping water from the ground to irrigate their fields.  There is also an system of ditches (clongs) that connect the fields, and some farmers take the time to dig their own ponds for water storage in the dry season.    

Here a few farmers took the advise to grown other crops.  They mound up the soil into long lines, with deep ruts between them acting as a channel between them to flood with water when needed.  The plants don't get covered in water as the earth is mounded up where they grown.  Have you seen anything like that where your are?

Here a guy is growing flowers and Thai herbs like that every dry season instead of the rice.  He does the rice at the time of year there is plenty of water, then the fields are ploughed to be flat again to flood.

Others here are growing snake beans in a similar way, only adding supports on the mounded up earth.

There are peanuts grown like that too, and a white root vegetable (no idea what its called).    

Aside form the corps I mentions, here are a few alternatives which can be grown on traditional rice field land in the dry season:

Soy beans

Sorghum

Corn

Chillies

Grass (for grass seed)

Bell peppers

Mung beans

Oriental tobacco

Even cows!

9 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Are you sure about your facts here?  I see the farmers pumping water from the ground to irrigate their fields.  There is also an system of ditches (clongs) that connect the fields, and some farmers take the time to dig their own ponds for water storage in the dry season.

Yes i am sure of my facts, are you? the majority of rice fields are not irrigated, where are you located? drive from Korat to Khon Kean and you will notice the absence of Klongs!

My wife has 23 rai in this area, I live outside Udon where some rice fields do have irrigation - the majority don't, they only have water when the reservoir's have water. Look at a map of the main rice growing areas, play spot the river!

All the crops you mention above would die in the wet season! & no water to in the dry season, most cannot afford cows, what would they feed them in the dry season, its been over three months since there was any rains up here, now as we are entering the dry season ???? 

3 hours ago, CGW said:

Yes i am sure of my facts, are you? the majority of rice fields are not irrigated, where are you located? drive from Korat to Khon Kean and you will notice the absence of Klongs!

My wife has 23 rai in this area, I live outside Udon where some rice fields do have irrigation - the majority don't, they only have water when the reservoir's have water. Look at a map of the main rice growing areas, play spot the river!

All the crops you mention above would die in the wet season! & no water to in the dry season, most cannot afford cows, what would they feed them in the dry season, its been over three months since there was any rains up here, now as we are entering the dry season ???? 

I am in Chiang Mai province.  

If rice fields are in irrigated how do they get water?  Are you saying they only get the water from the rain falling in them?!

Don't they have boreholes where you are talking about?

The water for the rice fields here comes from the dam.  In the dry season it turned on and off depending on water level and drought.  

The crops I suggested don't need constant water like the rice needs when growing. 

I don't get your argument.  You called me brainless because you don't believe different crops can grown on the same land that made the rice fields, yet I listed a lot for you.   You basically laughed because you did not think they used tractors on rice fields, yet they do.

Maybe your area is totally different.  If you so you might be right in that area, but where I live you are wrong.  It is feasible to grow alternative crops to rice on the rice field land during the times of water shortages.  

40 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I don't get your argument.  You called me brainless because you don't believe different crops can grown on the same land that made the rice fields, yet I listed a lot for you.   You basically laughed because you did not think they used tractors on rice fields, yet they do.

Please, I never called you "brainless" read again, misinformed - yes I said that.

I also never laughed about the tractors, i know, if they can afford it, they do hire "tractors" for the land, same as when they harvest, if they can afford it they get a machine to do it, but it all eats into their meagre profit.

Boreholes and rice simply don't go together the amount of water needed for rice just doesn't happen in the vast majority of instances, economically un-viable!

Isaan is different to CM, what grows there wont grow in Isaan, truth be told there is not a lot does grow in Isaan easily due to the extremes in temperature and rains apart from rice, unfortunately it is the main rice growing area in Thailand for a reason, that's about all that will grow.

There are plenty of smallholdings where I live that grow vegetables, but they have to have water, they also need to be a little bit smarter than the average farmer to make a success of this venture as they also need to market etc. The vast majority of land gets just one rice crop per year, the land isn't fertile enough for any more along with the lack of water, the amounts of fertiliser required even for the rice crop increase substantially yearly, the land is not good!

The "government" had an incentive for people to get away from rice a few years back and subsidised the planting of sugar cane, look what that lead too, more pollution, they don't like to talk about that too much. Seems to me from what I see in the fields the only other thing that grows in bulk is Tapioca, but the price is terrible for the farmers.

Indeed it is feasible to grow alternate crops in the "off season" if you have land that will sustain the crop and water, Isaan has neither!

They were so stupid to allow the Chinese to dam rivers. That's worth a war right there. Water is life.

Asking people living in heat to shower less. That's what it's come to. How desperate.

Close the massage parlors - physically disassemble tubs.

Double water rates for city dwellers

Pay farmers to reduce rice crop which will also later post harvest help air quality.

Many fruit trees need lots of water

No green spaces in BKK to worry about watering

Edited by Number 6

13 hours ago, Number 6 said:

They were so stupid to allow the Chinese to dam rivers. That's worth a war right there. Water is life.

Asking people living in heat to shower less. That's what it's come to. How desperate.

Close the massage parlors - physically disassemble tubs.

Double water rates for city dwellers

Pay farmers to reduce rice crop which will also later post harvest help air quality.

Many fruit trees need lots of water

No green spaces in BKK to worry about watering

Hard to stop a country from damming their rivers but there should have been some kind of agreement concerning rivers that pass through other countries

8 hours ago, Fred white said:

Hard to stop a country from damming their rivers but there should have been some kind of agreement concerning rivers that pass through other countries

Yep, China doesn't tend to listen to other countries' requests, whether about territory, water, or anything else. I'm sure they'd be happy to work out a financial arrangement though where, for a fee, those up river dams release a bit more water each day.

• Sad 1

On 1/9/2020 at 11:51 AM, Tgcoll said:

Were are the rainmakers and magician the priests come and show ur power now and bring rain

Thailand need another God who can help them, Jesus Christ is the only way to your problem

Caused more problems than enough. Along with some many other deities 

Another stunningly great reason to retire to Thailand. Can it get any better? First a person needs to deposit 800,000 baht into a Thai bank. Then they are now tracking people's every movement with the wonderful TM30.  Also, there have been no credible decisions made on how to reduce the toxic air at the beginning of each year. Health insurance is now mandatory but outpriced for the coverage received. Now a person had to reduce their shower time. 

What's next? A requirement to have a million baht life insurance policy with the Thai govt as the beneficiary as soon as you land at the airport? Probably will be ok if that happens as there will be few farang living here in a year or two.

14 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

Another stunningly great reason to retire to Thailand. Can it get any better? First a person needs to deposit 800,000 baht into a Thai bank. Then they are now tracking people's every movement with the wonderful TM30.  Also, there have been no credible decisions made on how to reduce the toxic air at the beginning of each year. Health insurance is now mandatory but outpriced for the coverage received. Now a person had to reduce their shower time. 

What's next? A requirement to have a million baht life insurance policy with the Thai govt as the beneficiary as soon as you land at the airport? Probably will be ok if that happens as there will be few farang living here in a year or two.

I'd say Thailand is not a good fit for you.

Whilst Thailand allows farangs to be employed here there will always be plenty living here.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

Did my 3rd retirement extension in November no mention of a TM 30 or insurance next year that may change