Need recommendations on air purifiers

Cristiancjb

On 1/8/2020 at 8:29 AM, cerox said:

I am curious what other people think of these cheaper purifiers because many of you use more expensive brands. I use it only in December/January or other polluted months out of the smoky season. Smoky season (Feb till May) I am not here.

I was doing some research on this the other day, and it turns out that the various Xiaomi models don't use "true" HEPA filters, but a bit lower efficiency than the official HEPA standard. That said, they'll still clean the air and can be bought here for affordable prices. They just let a bit more of the tiny pollutants pass thru.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/8/2020 at 8:46 AM, elektrified said:

We built our own last year for a fraction of what the store models cost. We used Xiaomi HEPA filters and high-quality fans we purchased from Global House. They work just as well as the others. So easy to build, my wife built all 3 of them herself. There are many youtube videos, etc.

Can you post a link or a photo of the kind of fans you bought from Global House?

On 1/13/2020 at 7:31 PM, toast1 said:

There are those who make their own air purifiers, with a fan, a tube and cotton wool

Has anyone tried this? 

Its cheap and pulls a lot of air through a tube of cotton wool, which looks like it'll filter quite a lot.

Not going to do anything meaningful for PM2.5 pollutants.

30 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

So? They still sell this model, as far as I know, and if this is the build quality, then I am just wondering about people who use this brand currently. 

The current versions don't revert to a lower setting after 3 hours so they can be run at full speed continuously. I've measured the performance of the one I have using an independant meter and it seems to work well enough in a small room. My larger room has a larger purifier from a different manufacturer, higher price and not as easy or cheap to source filters. I am, in fact, thinking of replacing that with multiple Xiaomi purifiers.

On 1/14/2020 at 9:18 AM, vivid said:

Check under facial pads, that should be basically cotton wool.

https://totobobo.com/blog/2010/01/6-filter-test/

The results for "facial pads" in their test are not anything to recommend. The higher values in their chart below correspond to filtering capacity:

1457438539_2020-01-2014_33_34.jpg.3d35087aae67092453fe257b9bd5c8f5.jpg

37 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I was doing some research on this the other day, and it turns out that the various Xiaomi models don't use "true" HEPA filters, but a bit lower efficiency than the official HEPA standard. That said, they'll still clean the air and can be bought here for affordable prices. They just let a bit more of the tiny pollutants pass thru.

The official U.S. standard for HEPA filtration is 99.97% of particles 0.3 μm and larger.

Xiaomi says their filters trap 99.3% of PM0.3. and are H11-grade, which used to be classed as HEPA filtration in past years but now has a lower grading, sometimes called Semi HEPA or HEPA type filtration.

948327883_2020-01-1123_04_35.jpg.4dfd46a1736f7ee57d4f162f02f387af.jpg

1751091034_2020-01-2014_54_01.jpg.ff951da767ca1f81933c46967448d791.jpg

4 hours ago, Trujillo said:

For those lauding the Xiaomi purifiers, what do you say about this review, which basically says they are <deleted>: 

xiaomi-auto-mode-leaves-air-unsafe-86-hours

Yes article from 2017 It was the xiaomi 2 now there is the new xiaomi mi air purifier 3h with hepa filter grade 13 but sure it is not perfect

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/pre-order-22-xiaomi-mi-air-purifier-3h-global-pm25-i575766860-s1062824232.html?spm=a2o4m.pdp.recommendation_2.1.1d9315abYIai4M&mp=1&scm=1007.16389.126158.0&clickTrackInfo=a3c35b15-6b12-4da7-a2c0-97ab531f0265__575766860__5578__trigger2i__124582__1.0__0.97191__0.0__0.43819973__0.69497__1.041407__0__1__PDPV2V__244__null__null__0__

I will try to order it tomorrow in lazada before I will ask if they have stock for quick delivery 

Edited by thooktong

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The official U.S. standard for HEPA filtration is 99.97% of particles 0.3 μm and larger.

Xiaomi says their filters trap 99.3% of PM0.3. and are H11-grade, which used to be classed as HEPA filtration in past years but now has a lower grading, sometimes called Semi HEPA or HEPA type filtration.

948327883_2020-01-1123_04_35.jpg.4dfd46a1736f7ee57d4f162f02f387af.jpg

1751091034_2020-01-2014_54_01.jpg.ff951da767ca1f81933c46967448d791.jpg

I should have clarified, I believe the above H-11 filter reference is in regard to the Xiaomi 2S and Pro models... Dunno what they're doing with ones after the Pro.

This is what the Lazada listing says re the 3H:

- The new True HEPA black, gray filter is better than the original. Xiaomi has said to filter 99.97% of small particles. The CADR (Clean Air Delvery Rate is at 380 cubic meters per hour.

I'm having trouble finding a specific Xiaomi specs page specifically for the 3H model.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I should have clarified, I believe the above H-11 filter reference is in regard to the Xiaomi 2S and Pro models... Dunno what they're doing with ones after the Pro.

now there is the new xiaomi mi air purifier 3h with hepa filter grade 13 but sure it is not perfect

18 minutes ago, thooktong said:

now there is the new xiaomi mi air purifier 3h with hepa filter grade 13 but sure it is not perfect

But I did find these 3H specs/images from Xiaomi on other sites.  So it appears to be compatible with their older not quite HEPA filters used on the 2S and Pro models in terms of fit/sizing. But should come new with the higher level H13 HEPA filter if purchased new from a legitimate source:

1211553079_2020-01-2016_44_08.jpg.b614691885dfb73702950aea82470fe4.jpg

287745729_2020-01-2016_44_51.jpg.c18c8821452dc9250c266a17db82382d.jpg

1643878647_2020-01-2016_45_32.jpg.ce1b38676496053646b41195f2e49d38.jpg

I wonder if the True HEPA H13 filters for the Xiaomi 3H unit are available as replacement filters at retailers here in Thailand, and if so, at what price?

And if the 3H can use the older H11 or 12 filters from the 2H and Pro models, then I wonder if the older 2H and Pro models can also use the newer Xiaomi H13 filters for the 3H?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

18 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Looking at this comparison of Xiaomi air purifiers, it says that the "Pro" model doesn't have a "true HEPA" filter. 

Any idea what his actually has? 

filters.png.65b9be165678dcc032fc82273fad718f.png

It has a filter that was HEPA but the standard changed since then. 

https://jumpadevice.com/2019/01/16/choose-the-correct-filter-mi-air-purifier/

5 hours ago, Trujillo said:

For those lauding the Xiaomi purifiers, what do you say about this review, which basically says they are <deleted>: 

xiaomi-auto-mode-leaves-air-unsafe-86-hours

It says the filter and fan is good but the auto mode is not like most air purifier. That's why I keep mine at a fixed speed. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But I did find these 3H specs/images from Xiaomi on other sites.  So it appears to be compatible with their older not quite HEPA filters used on the 2S and Pro models in terms of fit/sizing. But should come new with the higher level H13 HEPA filter if purchased new from a legitimate source:

1211553079_2020-01-2016_44_08.jpg.b614691885dfb73702950aea82470fe4.jpg

287745729_2020-01-2016_44_51.jpg.c18c8821452dc9250c266a17db82382d.jpg

1643878647_2020-01-2016_45_32.jpg.ce1b38676496053646b41195f2e49d38.jpg

I wonder if the True HEPA H13 filters for the Xiaomi 3H unit are available as replacement filters at retailers here in Thailand, and if so, at what price?

And if the 3H can use the older H11 or 12 filters from the 2H and Pro models, then I wonder if the older 2H and Pro models can also use the newer Xiaomi H13 filters for the 3H?

REVIEW

https://www.androidauthority.com/mi-air-purifier-3-1065156/

5 minutes ago, thooktong said:

Interestingly, the Class 13 replacement filters are compatible with Xiaomi’s older air purifiers. This means you should be able to upgrade your older purifier at your next filter replacement cycle.

That's a good thing Xiaomi did in regard to their line of purifiers... Now let's just hope that retailers here in TH start making available for purchase their newer H13 class HEPA filters.

AFAICT, there are a couple of issues to watch out for with Hatari models, especially the distinction between their China local vs "global" versions of their units.

Most folks here I suspect don't really want a China local unit that comes with a Chinese language manual. Nor do you want a Xiaomi unit that uses the Chinese AQI scale (which is inferior similar to the TH-specific AQI scale). And have the unit making you think your air is better than it really is...because both CH and TH have inferior standards for air quality health impacts.

As best as I understand it, the "global" versions of their purifiers don't come with Chinese language only manuals. But I'm less clear on how their "global" units deal with the AQI scale, and whether they still use the CH standards, or instead use the more appropriate US/international AQI scale.

15 hours ago, Cheesekraft said:

anyone try the newest xiaomi 3h (I believe its called) model?

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

As best as I understand it, the "global" versions of their purifiers don't come with Chinese language only manuals. But I'm less clear on how their "global" units deal with the AQI scale, and whether they still use the CH standards, or instead use the more appropriate US/international AQI scale.

I have the 3H model. As far as I can see, it measures PM2.5 and that's all so not sure what you are referring to regarding AQI. Have I missed something?

Yes it came with English language manuals but I didn't read them. The device itself has a single button operation so pretty easy to figure out. I have had generally good experiences with Xiaomi products and from a hardware perspective I consider it a good value brand. However less so with the firmware/software side of things. So I was pleasantly surprised that the android app is easy to configure and use and so far has worked perfectly, including the Auto function Though It does require the user to register for Xiaomi's somewhat painful "Mi" account.

I have two of the Xiaomi units that I'm happy with.  Recently ordered several (gereric) replacement filters through Lazada at a great price.

I also saw these Electrostatic Cotton filters designed to wrap around the Xiaome canister filters, so I also bought a package of them.  Used one of them for a week so far and it seems to have the same effect as the 3M filtrete.  The cotton ones only cost about 11 baht each, so they're much cheaper than 3M.  They can also be used in your AC unit.  Haven't seen anyone mention them yet.

51 minutes ago, PhotoJohn said:

I have two of the Xiaomi units that I'm happy with.  Recently ordered several (gereric) replacement filters through Lazada at a great price.

I also saw these Electrostatic Cotton filters designed to wrap around the Xiaome canister filters, so I also bought a package of them.  Used one of them for a week so far and it seems to have the same effect as the 3M filtrete.  The cotton ones only cost about 11 baht each, so they're much cheaper than 3M.  They can also be used in your AC unit.  Haven't seen anyone mention them yet.

I have seen those yesterday actually when i was looking on Lazada for I think "xiaomi hepa filter".. there was a bunch of those rolls and the real filter was all at the way at the bottom (because it's out of stock)

I don't think those help much for pm2.5, but might help for pm10 and/or at least dust/hairs and whatnot, sure.

those will likely make your filters stay cleaner longer but i'm sure it reduces the speed that the purifier will be able to filter air (cause it's an added air barrier after all)

who know by how much, I suppose you could test it two three times with and without and see if there's a big difference

real 3M Filtrete is more than likely better but probably more expensive

12 hours ago, Trujillo said:

"Nor do you want a Xiaomi unit that uses the Chinese AQI scale (which is inferior similar to the TH-specific AQI scale)."

The readout on the machines is the PM2.5 level, not any Chicom designation. 

I think the potential issue is not with the readout.... but with the internal settings of the unit when set on auto mode...in terms of at what point it determines the air quality is acceptable and throttles down or doesn't.

Only impacts if a person sets their unit on AUTO.... But apparently a lot of users do that, thinking the machine will know best. And at least for the China models, that will result if unacceptably high levels of pollution if operated in that way.  As I said, I'm not sure whether the global units have that issue or not.

• Thanks 1

You have to use that health mode (do not know how it is called, click twice after auto, it is the "loud mode").

When I air the room and close the windows, I use the health mode for 20 minutes after that it is below 9 so it is green air (AQI below 50).

I can confirm that people do trust the machine blindly and do not do their own research. I know one shop here in CNX the owner has two of those air purifiers running all day. On Auto mode. So it is at 50-70 all day. The owner I guess thinks that this is the AQI number and also because the machine shows green until I think it was more than 80 or so pm2.5 count.

Really sad. But nothing I can do. Do not want them to lose face by mentioning they do not operate the purifier in the right way.

I do not even need to measure pm2.5 outside or look at any of the stations in the morning to know the pollution is strong or not.

When I open the door to the bathroom from my purified bedroom, the air purifier (auto mode) jumps from pm2.5 3 to pm2.5 12 so I know the pollution must be strong without even checking - windows are closed but not sealed.

I measured the bathroom with closed windows or doors after night it is around 30 pm2.5. Bedroom next door 2-3.

Only two weeks - then I can leave. Good luck to you guys who decide to stay. At around 200 AQI I noticed the machines are struggling in auto mode and you need to use the stronger mode regularly a few times per day to keep it clean.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Trujillo said:

"Nor do you want a Xiaomi unit that uses the Chinese AQI scale (which is inferior similar to the TH-specific AQI scale)."

The readout on the machines is the PM2.5 level, not any Chicom designation. 

A lot of posters here have no clue about PM2.5 and AQI

Someone here was saying how air isn't that bad because PM2.5 was in the 80's

9 minutes ago, Pravda said:

A lot of posters here have no clue about PM2.5 and AQI

Someone here was saying how air isn't that bad because PM2.5 was in the 80's

Don't mind me digressing a bit.  Heh....your comment reminds me of the 2019 Singapore F1 race day, it was over 80 ug/m3 PM2.5 for well over 12 hours, peaking @ 110 ug/m3.   But all the tourists and locals interviewed by the papers/news all reported it to be fine, no issue at all.

7 hours ago, cerox said:

also because the machine shows green until I think it was more than 80 or so pm2.5 count.

That would be a very bad setup... Wonder if the Xiaomi machines doing that are China local or their global models?

I wish someone with a global Xiaomi unit and would post more clearly on just how its AUTO or similar mode functions, and what PM2.5 levels the AUTO or similar mode maintains at.... and what PM2.5 levels correspond to any green/yellow/red colors on the readout.

I bought a Mi 3H. 

Seems to do what it's supposed to, although the app doesn't work (but who needs to use it, anyway?). 

FYI, it's interesting to see that when you turn on your AC, the PM2.5 count goes up due to the particulate matter stuck in the AC filters (if yours has any filters -- one Panasonic I have has none). So clean your AC filters often, is a good tip.